    I bought a Catalyst 1924-EN-DC switch off of ebay, not realizing that
    the DC stood for Direct Current. Does anyone know how to connect this
    to a home wall outlet. Some type of converter or something?
    scroto, May 25, 2004

  2. scroto <> writes:
    >I bought a Catalyst 1924-EN-DC switch off of ebay, not realizing that
    >the DC stood for Direct Current. Does anyone know how to connect this
    >to a home wall outlet. Some type of converter or something?

    You need a -48V DC power supply.

    Many telco type companies make smaller -48V DC power supplies for
    small installations.

    Here's some eBay postings for some telco style DC power supplies if
    you want to go that way. Some small, some big. Just check to make sure
    the Amp draw of your gear is less than what is supported. I think the
    small Westel one should do enough Amps for that switch.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58288&item=3816654744&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36323&item=5701036894&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20315&item=5701567325&rd=1

    I've used the Westel one listed for some simular applications when
    needed. ADC makes a 1U unit as well that I've used. Some telco style
    gear sometimes comes with the A/C to -48V DC power supply that
    sometimes just gets chucked when its not needed.

    Otherwise, there's not much in your box right now for the power
    supply, hence the need for a seperate external one.
    --
    Doug McIntyre
    Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades
    Doug McIntyre, May 25, 2004

  3. scroto

    scroto Guest

    Doug, thanks for the info, it was very helpful. One more question
    though. Do these power supplies just plug into a regular power
    socket. Such as a standard home power plug.

    scroto, May 25, 2004
  4. scroto <> writes:
    >Doug, thanks for the info, it was very helpful. One more question
    >though. Do these power supplies just plug into a regular power
    >socket. Such as a standard home power plug.

    Yes. The little Westel one is just AC power in one side, and goes to
    two screw terminals, Common and 48V DC IIRC. You'd normally use stranded
    THHN wire to go from the terminals to the gear. Make sure to use your VOM
    to get the polarity right (ie. you might need to do the -48V terminal
    on your gear over to Common to get your -48V DC in right).

    I'd probably get the Westel if its still available. Nice and small.

    The bigger boxes usually would take AC in, and potentially have an
    option to power a bank of batteries for battery backup and then
    usually (not always) have a fuse panel built in so you could hook up
    multiple devices, each controlled through a single telco style fuse.
    Doug McIntyre, May 25, 2004