Cataloguing images

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dperez@juno_nospam.com, Nov 3, 2004.

  1. My OTHER ugly topic...

    My other topic was about PHYSICALLY storing images...

    This one is about what to use to catalog the images so they can be found and
    easily pulled into the editor or whatever's needed...

    Again, as part of the discussions at RMSP we talked of cataloguing but again
    weren't able to come to a perfect conclusion. I've downloaded and played with
    the following:
    Extensis Portfolio 7 - seems capable but is ridiculously expensive
    Digital Pro 3 - If I recall correctly this didn't support Fuji Raw
    PhotoAlbum V1 - doesn't appear to support Fuji Raw
    PhotoAlbum V2 - the free one - doesn't appear to support Fuji Raw
    ACDSee - I don't even remember WHAT major thing this didn't do but I know I
    tried it and unloaded it from the machine...
    iMatch - not bad, not hugely expensive but it doesn't appear to support 16-bit
    Photoshop files - the thumbnails don't show as pictures.
    PhotoLibrary - SLOW, REALLY SLOW... Unusable slow.
    Cumulus - One of the instructors is using this and says its adequate.
    Photoshop CS - has the advantage of already being IN Photoshop but can only next
    keywords 2 levels. Doesn't have an understanding of devices so it doesn't know
    what's on a CD for example.

    Currently I'm still messing with iMatch but when I put up thumbnails there's no
    image for 16-bit PSD files... Also, its nice to be ab le to find things by
    keyword and such, but once you've FOUND 'em there doesn't seem to be an
    automatic way to get 'em into Photoshop for editing... Which reduces the
    effectiveness significantly...

    So, at present I'm trying to come up with a simple enough keyword scheme that I
    can just use what Photoshop offers... Like, instead of having keywords like
    bird, waterfowl, swan, tundra as a nest, and another for bird, waterfowl, swan,
    trumpeter, just have something like bird, swan and put everybody in there. Or
    perhaps use swan, tundra and swan, trumpeter and set up a DIFFERENT keyword of
    bird... At least this way I'm IN Photoshop so there's no problem getting them
    into Photoshop but one of the big failures is that this scheme doesn't seem to
    know how to manage devices such as CDs... It ONLY appears to look at whatever
    disk/directory you're in... So what happens when I've got 3 or 4 disks with
    images? Or 100 CDs?

    Anyhow, so what are other people using to catalog, find, and get into their
    favorite editor?
    dperez@juno_nospam.com, Nov 3, 2004

  2. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    Aerticus Guest

    Sh - don't let anyone else know

    Let's keep it out secret.

    Go into PS and resize/resample your images from CD. Lets call it CD#name
    for long with images im#n for short

    The trick is to create a parallel folder called CD#name with resized and
    resampled images called im#n (medium)

    Do the above after entering Keywords in PS before burning the CD so that
    EXIF & IPTC is transferred to the medium cloned image

    The rest?

    Well, you seem an intelligent person - I bet you can figure it out on your
    own

    PS FB may be a bit clunky but it really is rather brilliant even if it is
    cumbersome

    Aerticus

    Aerticus, Nov 3, 2004

  3. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    Drifter Guest

    ---->snip<---
    >Currently I'm still messing with iMatch but when I put up thumbnails there's no
    >image for 16-bit PSD files... Also, its nice to be ab le to find things by
    >keyword and such, but once you've FOUND 'em there doesn't seem to be an
    >automatic way to get 'em into Photoshop for editing... Which reduces the
    >effectiveness significantly...

    Right click on a thumbnail
    Choose Shell
    Select "Choose Application" and pick Photoshop CS
    Now you can open the image in Photoshop by either Right click and
    select "Open" or by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+O

    ---snip---
    >Anyhow, so what are other people using to catalog, find, and get into their
    >favorite editor?

    As you might guess, I use iMatch and Photoshop CS.
    I use the "categories" some, but mostly I have the properties set up
    and use them.

    My properties (under the property editor) are...

    Title -Usually the title of the folder the files are stored under
    Project-The name of the project/client (if there is one)
    Description-Brief description of what is in the photo (Sleeping dog)
    Location- where the photo was taken (Pointe Park, Washington, DC)
    Photographer-Who took the picture
    Camera-
    Lens-
    Quality- (1-5 rating of the technical quality of the photo)
    Asthetic-(1-5 subjective rating of how much I like the photo)
    Critique-comments on what would improve the photo

    For some of these properties (Quality, Aesthetic, Camera, etc) I have
    created drop down lists so I don't have to keep re-typing stuff.

    I really only use the Categories for "broad" stuff like "Animals,
    Plants, People, Buildings, machines, Indoors, Outdoors, and the like.

    If you want to chat more about this I'm at

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Nov 3, 2004
  4. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    Alan Meyer Guest

    > My OTHER ugly topic...
    > Anyhow, so what are other people using to catalog, find, and get into

    their
    > favorite editor?

    My "system" is just to keep text files describing the images.
    It's not much of a system.

    My biggest fear about buying a program is that I'll create
    a big catalog, putting in a lot of time, and 10 or 20 years
    from now it will be useless - in a format that no other
    software can read, and with software that only runs on
    a computer (Wintel) that was obsolete years before.

    If I ever go to anything more sophisticated than what I've
    got, I'd want it to use plain text, possibly in XML structures,
    that can be edited by any XML or text editor on any
    computer, now or in the future.

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Nov 3, 2004
  5. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    Cynthia P Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 18:32:32 -0600, dperez@juno_nospam.com wrote:

    >My OTHER ugly topic...
    >
    >My other topic was about PHYSICALLY storing images...
    >
    >This one is about what to use to catalog the images so they can be found and
    >easily pulled into the editor or whatever's needed...
    >
    >Again, as part of the discussions at RMSP we talked of cataloguing but again
    >weren't able to come to a perfect conclusion. I've downloaded and played with
    >the following:
    >Extensis Portfolio 7 - seems capable but is ridiculously expensive
    >Digital Pro 3 - If I recall correctly this didn't support Fuji Raw
    >PhotoAlbum V1 - doesn't appear to support Fuji Raw
    >PhotoAlbum V2 - the free one - doesn't appear to support Fuji Raw
    >ACDSee - I don't even remember WHAT major thing this didn't do but I know I
    >tried it and unloaded it from the machine...
    >iMatch - not bad, not hugely expensive but it doesn't appear to support 16-bit
    >Photoshop files - the thumbnails don't show as pictures.
    >PhotoLibrary - SLOW, REALLY SLOW... Unusable slow.
    >Cumulus - One of the instructors is using this and says its adequate.
    >Photoshop CS - has the advantage of already being IN Photoshop but can only next
    >keywords 2 levels. Doesn't have an understanding of devices so it doesn't know
    >what's on a CD for example.
    >
    >Currently I'm still messing with iMatch but when I put up thumbnails there's no
    >image for 16-bit PSD files... Also, its nice to be ab le to find things by
    >keyword and such, but once you've FOUND 'em there doesn't seem to be an
    >automatic way to get 'em into Photoshop for editing... Which reduces the
    >effectiveness significantly...
    >
    >So, at present I'm trying to come up with a simple enough keyword scheme that I
    >can just use what Photoshop offers... Like, instead of having keywords like
    >bird, waterfowl, swan, tundra as a nest, and another for bird, waterfowl, swan,
    >trumpeter, just have something like bird, swan and put everybody in there. Or
    >perhaps use swan, tundra and swan, trumpeter and set up a DIFFERENT keyword of
    >bird... At least this way I'm IN Photoshop so there's no problem getting them
    >into Photoshop but one of the big failures is that this scheme doesn't seem to
    >know how to manage devices such as CDs... It ONLY appears to look at whatever
    >disk/directory you're in... So what happens when I've got 3 or 4 disks with
    >images? Or 100 CDs?
    >
    >Anyhow, so what are other people using to catalog, find, and get into their
    >favorite editor?

    Thumbs Plus Pro. As long as you have Windows set up to open .PSD files
    in Photoshop, a simple select image > right click > Edit will pop you
    right into Photoshop with the selected file.

    Cynthia
    Cynthia P, Nov 3, 2004
  6. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    Drifter Guest

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 20:36:19 -0500, "Alan Meyer" <>
    wrote:

    ><dperez@juno_nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> My OTHER ugly topic...
    >> Anyhow, so what are other people using to catalog, find, and get into

    >their
    >> favorite editor?

    >My "system" is just to keep text files describing the images.
    >It's not much of a system.
    >
    >My biggest fear about buying a program is that I'll create
    >a big catalog, putting in a lot of time, and 10 or 20 years
    >from now it will be useless - in a format that no other
    >software can read, and with software that only runs on
    >a computer (Wintel) that was obsolete years before.

    ---snip---
    Yes, that was my greatest fear as well. The nice thing about iMatch
    is that the data itself is very portable.
    see here
    http://www.photools.com/imatchfaq.php?PHPSESSID=9fe236a35a8e24d74c2145cbbfe921b0#50

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Nov 3, 2004
  7. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    BJ Guest

    Digital Image Library 10 dopes a good job of catqalouging. It doesn't,
    however, show sufficient Exif info for me and I'm not sure about "pulling
    into an editor" other than DIP. I don't think the right-click menu is
    customizable but drag and drop always works.

    BJ, Nov 3, 2004
  8. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    Aerticus Guest

    Ah - a voice of experience

    If I may speculate: there will be more solutions than we care for within the
    next 18 months! Why?

    Well the rate of ownership of digicams will in a year or 2 from ownership
    create a demographic wave of computers overstuffed with digital images (8 MP
    sensor anyone? Saved in RAW, TIFF and DNG? That's 3 times the hard disk
    realty already - and then worked in PSD format [I am talking serious now]
    probably outputted as JPEGs? see how a lack of standard goes? Hidden costs
    are in media storage devices - buy a lot, a real lot just in case your RAW
    changes next summer or just after Christmas)

    Now where was I? Ah, better do this first </rant>

    Yes, computers will fill, folks will burn CDs or DVDs, then - help? Where
    has the image gone? Which disk?

    At the mo I have a wonderful set up using PSCS file browser - the details
    are elsewhere in this NG, I will not repeat them.

    Aerticus

    Aerticus, Nov 3, 2004
  9. dperez@juno_nospam.com writes:

    > My OTHER ugly topic...
    >
    > My other topic was about PHYSICALLY storing images...
    >
    > This one is about what to use to catalog the images so they can be found and
    > easily pulled into the editor or whatever's needed...
    >
    > Again, as part of the discussions at RMSP we talked of cataloguing but again
    > weren't able to come to a perfect conclusion. I've downloaded and played with
    > the following:
    > Extensis Portfolio 7 - seems capable but is ridiculously expensive
    > Digital Pro 3 - If I recall correctly this didn't support Fuji Raw
    > PhotoAlbum V1 - doesn't appear to support Fuji Raw
    > PhotoAlbum V2 - the free one - doesn't appear to support Fuji Raw
    > ACDSee - I don't even remember WHAT major thing this didn't do but I know I
    > tried it and unloaded it from the machine...
    > iMatch - not bad, not hugely expensive but it doesn't appear to support 16-bit
    > Photoshop files - the thumbnails don't show as pictures.
    > PhotoLibrary - SLOW, REALLY SLOW... Unusable slow.
    > Cumulus - One of the instructors is using this and says its adequate.
    > Photoshop CS - has the advantage of already being IN Photoshop but can only next
    > keywords 2 levels. Doesn't have an understanding of devices so it doesn't know
    > what's on a CD for example.

    You've missed Thumbs Plus from <www.cerious.com>, which is what I
    chose when faced with this issue. It's one of the leading programs
    for the job. It will index off-line media (DVDs, or removable disks)
    and keep the thumbnails and database entries (keywords, etc.) around.
    And you can add many buttons to the toolbar to take the file quickly
    and easily into various special programs, *and* set up "open" and
    "edit" actions.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 3, 2004
  10. Again, sorry to be so tardy, but now the ISP newsgroup servers are online agin!

    Aerticus, I LOVE your idea... Simple, workable, and it keeps everything IN
    PS... The guys running the training class I was in are very confident that
    future versions of Photoshop will have HUGE enhancements to the file browser...

    One thing I found odd when looking at products was that Adobe Photo Album was
    compared to Cumulus as a replacement, and unless they've done something
    SIGNIFICANT in the "real" version Photo Album doesn't even manage raw files...

    dperez@juno_nospam.com, Nov 10, 2004