    Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
    I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
    I've been able to set up a network between the 2.

    #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
    #2 shows "connected, firewalled"

    I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
    denied.
    Either while connected to the internet or not.

    In various instructions I have seen both on the web and in help and
    support, you are supposed to setup the main computer as "host".
    However, there is nowhere I can find that allows this. No matter what
    I do, "guest" is for both.

    I do not want to be connected to the internet as all I want to do is
    transfer some files from #1, to #2.
    Yet, in following the instructions, I see nowhere that allows this.

    So I am asking again for some clear cut easy to understand step by
    step instructions.
    The site's given by Plato were of no help.
    I am using windows xp home edition on both machines, not "pro" as it
    appears there is a big difference between the two.

    My next alternative would be to wifi the two but I would prefer not
    going that way.

    Thanks
    richard, Jun 9, 2007

  2. richard

    Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
    >I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
    >I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
    >
    >#1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
    >#2 shows "connected, firewalled"
    >
    >I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
    >denied.
    >Either while connected to the internet or not.

    Just a guess

    Start | Run <type in>
    services.msc
    <enter>

    Make sure ClipBook is started.
    --

    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/tsgtv/
    , Jun 9, 2007

  3. richard

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
    > I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
    > I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
    >
    > #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
    > #2 shows "connected, firewalled"
    >
    > I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
    > denied.
    > Either while connected to the internet or not.
    >
    > In various instructions I have seen both on the web and in help and
    > support, you are supposed to setup the main computer as "host".
    > However, there is nowhere I can find that allows this. No matter what
    > I do, "guest" is for both.
    >
    > I do not want to be connected to the internet as all I want to do is
    > transfer some files from #1, to #2.
    > Yet, in following the instructions, I see nowhere that allows this.
    >
    > So I am asking again for some clear cut easy to understand step by
    > step instructions.
    > The site's given by Plato were of no help.
    > I am using windows xp home edition on both machines, not "pro" as it
    > appears there is a big difference between the two.
    >
    > My next alternative would be to wifi the two but I would prefer not
    > going that way.
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes you could get a standard router and two (non crossover) cables, or a
    WIFI router.

    But before doing that, you should MANUALLY set the IP address on both
    computers. Set one to 192.168.1.0 and set the other to 192.168.1.1.
    Temporarily turn off the firewall on both computers. See if that works.
    WhzzKdd, Jun 9, 2007
  4. richard

    John Holmes Guest

    richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
    > I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
    > I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
    >
    > #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
    > #2 shows "connected, firewalled"
    >
    > I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
    > denied.
    > Either while connected to the internet or not.
    >
    > In various instructions I have seen both on the web and in help and
    > support, you are supposed to setup the main computer as "host".
    > However, there is nowhere I can find that allows this. No matter what
    > I do, "guest" is for both.
    >
    > I do not want to be connected to the internet as all I want to do is
    > transfer some files from #1, to #2.
    > Yet, in following the instructions, I see nowhere that allows this.
    >
    > So I am asking again for some clear cut easy to understand step by
    > step instructions.
    > The site's given by Plato were of no help.
    > I am using windows xp home edition on both machines, not "pro" as it
    > appears there is a big difference between the two.
    >
    > My next alternative would be to wifi the two but I would prefer not
    > going that way.
    >
    > Thanks

    As an addition to the ones who already replied: Make sure you have
    created a user with same credentials on both machines, both username and
    password need to match on both.

    --
    You inbred shovel-full of contaminated cow dung.
    John Holmes, Jun 9, 2007
  5. richard

    richard Guest

    On Jun 9, 11:31 am, wrote:
    > richard <> wrote:
    > >Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
    > >I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
    > >I've been able to set up a network between the 2.

    > >#1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
    > >#2 shows "connected, firewalled"

    > >I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
    > >denied.
    > >Either while connected to the internet or not.

    > Just a guess
    >
    > Start | Run <type in>
    > services.msc
    > <enter>
    >
    > Make sure ClipBook is started.
    > --
    >
    > http://www.thesmokinggun.com/tsgtv/

    Then do what? I get a zillion choices so which do I pick?
    richard, Jun 9, 2007
  6. richard

    richard Guest

    On Jun 9, 11:31 am, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > "richard" <> wrote in message

    > > Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
    > > I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
    > > I've been able to set up a network between the 2.

    > > #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
    > > #2 shows "connected, firewalled"

    > > I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
    > > denied.
    > > Either while connected to the internet or not.

    > > In various instructions I have seen both on the web and in help and
    > > support, you are supposed to setup the main computer as "host".
    > > However, there is nowhere I can find that allows this. No matter what
    > > I do, "guest" is for both.

    > > I do not want to be connected to the internet as all I want to do is
    > > transfer some files from #1, to #2.
    > > Yet, in following the instructions, I see nowhere that allows this.

    > > So I am asking again for some clear cut easy to understand step by
    > > step instructions.
    > > The site's given by Plato were of no help.
    > > I am using windows xp home edition on both machines, not "pro" as it
    > > appears there is a big difference between the two.

    > > My next alternative would be to wifi the two but I would prefer not
    > > going that way.

    > > Thanks

    > Yes you could get a standard router and two (non crossover) cables, or a
    > WIFI router.
    >
    > But before doing that, you should MANUALLY set the IP address on both
    > computers. Set one to 192.168.1.0 and set the other to 192.168.1.1.
    > Temporarily turn off the firewall on both computers. See if that works.

    done that still nothing happens.
    richard, Jun 9, 2007
  7. richard

    Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >On Jun 9, 11:31 am, wrote:
    >> richard <> wrote:
    >> >Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
    >> >I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
    >> >I've been able to set up a network between the 2.

    >> >#1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
    >> >#2 shows "connected, firewalled"

    >> >I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
    >> >denied.
    >> >Either while connected to the internet or not.

    >> Just a guess
    >>
    >> Start | Run <type in>
    >> services.msc
    >> <enter>
    >>
    >> Make sure ClipBook is started.

    >Then do what? I get a zillion choices so which do I pick?

    I'd do a recount...

    The services are in alphabetical order look at the Clipbook status,
    make sure it's enabled,

    http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp

    --

    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/tsgtv/
    , Jun 9, 2007
  8. richard

    Ace Hung Guest

    richard wrote:

    > Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
    > I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
    > I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
    >
    > #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
    > #2 shows "connected, firewalled"
    >
    > I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
    > denied.
    > Either while connected to the internet or not.

    Is there a firewall (windows or others). Disable it and see whar happens.

    -hung
    Ace Hung, Jun 10, 2007
  9. richard

    Plato Guest

    richard wrote:

    > Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
    > I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
    > I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
    >
    > #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
    > #2 shows "connected, firewalled"
    >
    > I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
    > denied.
    > Either while connected to the internet or not.

    Networking

    http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
    http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category04
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/...indows_XP_Networking_Microsoft_Windows_XP.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/default.mspx

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 10, 2007
  10. richard

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 09:31:47 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

    >"richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
    >> I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
    >> I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
    >>
    >> #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
    >> #2 shows "connected, firewalled"
    >>
    >> I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
    >> denied.
    >> Either while connected to the internet or not.

    <snip>

    >Yes you could get a standard router and two (non crossover) cables, or a
    >WIFI router.
    >
    >But before doing that, you should MANUALLY set the IP address on both
    >computers. Set one to 192.168.1.0 and set the other to 192.168.1.1.

    That would be .1.1 and .1.2 , using x.0 may not always work.

    >Temporarily turn off the firewall on both computers. See if that works.

    Me
    why?, Jun 10, 2007
  11. richard

    why? Guest

    Do you have to keep starting new threads?

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 09:16:09 -0700, richard wrote:

    >Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
    >I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
    >I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
    >
    >#1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
    >#2 shows "connected, firewalled"

    Did you check the NIC speed settings / duplex. XP will say limited
    connection for 100Mps at half duplex or from what I have seen any speed
    at half duplex. Even a 1GB link plugged into 10/100 switch if the auto
    detect doesn't work.

    >I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
    >denied.

    Also do as mentioned, the same account / password on both systems.

    <snip>

    >In various instructions I have seen both on the web and in help and
    >support, you are supposed to setup the main computer as "host".

    What URL reference? There is no point is saying this or that didn't work
    if it's impossible to see what you are looking at.

    >However, there is nowhere I can find that allows this. No matter what
    >I do, "guest" is for both.
    >
    >I do not want to be connected to the internet as all I want to do is
    >transfer some files from #1, to #2.
    >Yet, in following the instructions, I see nowhere that allows this.

    As mentioned you manually set each PC with a fixed IP address.
    192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
    Both have the same subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway. For 2 PCs on a
    groccover the gateway could be left blank or just enter the PCs own IP
    address i.e. for 192.168.0.1 the gateway is the same address.

    >So I am asking again for some clear cut easy to understand step by
    >step instructions.
    >The site's given by Plato were of no help.

    Why repeat that, you already said that. Again where / why wasn't there
    any help. No one can guess what wasn't any help or what part of any
    instructions you had problems with.

    >I am using windows xp home edition on both machines, not "pro" as it
    >appears there is a big difference between the two.

    Pro on both is better.

    There is, see list of differences.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpdifs.html

    >My next alternative would be to wifi the two but I would prefer not
    >going that way.
    >
    >Thanks

    Me
    why?, Jun 10, 2007
  12. richard

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 11:50:52 -0700, richard wrote:

    >On Jun 9, 11:31 am, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >> "richard" <> wrote in message

    >> > Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
    >> > I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
    >> > I've been able to set up a network between the 2.

    >> > #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
    >> > #2 shows "connected, firewalled"

    >> > I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
    >> > denied.
    >> > Either while connected to the internet or not.

    <snip>

    >> > So I am asking again for some clear cut easy to understand step by
    >> > step instructions.

    Without knowing what instructions haven't worked , where you were
    getting stuck hasn't helped, what tabs you said earlier were missing but
    didn't name. What do you expect?

    The most basic is -

    - Create an account on both PCs with the same name and password.

    - Install a network card, drivers and TCP/IP (as administrator)

    - Connect via the crossover cable.

    - Set 1 PC to IP address 192.168.0.1, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway
    192.168.0.1

    - Other PC to IP address 192.168.0.2, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway
    192.168.0.2

    - Enable sharing for a folder, set the correct permissions read / write.

    - Don't bother about browsing from 1 PC to the other.

    - Map a drive from PC1 to PC2 using this format
    \\192.168.0.1\sharenameyoucreated

    - With the FW turned off, as recommended.

    <snip>

    >> But before doing that, you should MANUALLY set the IP address on both
    >> computers. Set one to 192.168.1.0 and set the other to 192.168.1.1.
    >> Temporarily turn off the firewall on both computers. See if that works.

    >done that still nothing happens.

    Nothing isn't helpful.

    On the PC with address 192.168.1.0 you can ping 192.168.1.0 and you
    can/can't ping 192.168.1.1?

    When you browse in network neighbour hood you can/can't see the other PC
    or only the 1 your are on.

    Me
    why?, Jun 10, 2007
  13. richard

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 09:31:47 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
    >
    >>"richard" <> wrote in message
    >>> Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
    >>> I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
    >>> I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
    >>>
    >>> #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
    >>> #2 shows "connected, firewalled"
    >>>
    >>> I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
    >>> denied.
    >>> Either while connected to the internet or not.

    > <snip>
    >
    >>Yes you could get a standard router and two (non crossover) cables, or a
    >>WIFI router.
    >>
    >>But before doing that, you should MANUALLY set the IP address on both
    >>computers. Set one to 192.168.1.0 and set the other to 192.168.1.1.

    > That would be .1.1 and .1.2 , using x.0 may not always work.

    True - my slip. I do this so often I always use 1 and 2. Don't know why I
    wrote 0 and 1 <grin>
    WhzzKdd, Jun 10, 2007