Cat5 Cable Tester

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trai' La Trash, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. Someone I chatted with in here I asked what cable tester I use,I went to my
    truck and got it.
    It's the Siemons STM-8 with the extra ends for doing shielded and non
    shielded cable.
    http://www.nudata.com/testers/siemons_stm8.htm
    http://www.siemon.com/e-catalog/products/STM-8_Cable_Testers.asp
    The STM-8 is an economical and versatile hand-held tester. It is capable of
    testing 1 meter (3 ft.) to 900 meters (2,950 ft.) of 1-, 2-, 3- or 4-pair
    UTP cable for opens, shorts, reversals, miswires and split pairs. The rugged
    state-of-the-art construction, easy-to-read LCD display, and multiple
    remotes allow one person to quickly test and identify up to four different
    cable runs from one location. The STM-8 can generate tone on any pin and, in
    TALK BAT mode, will enable communications by applying talk battery voltage
    between the center two pins.

    The STM-8 tests T568A, T568B, USOC, 10BASE-T, Token Ring, and TP-PMD wiring
    configurations. Each of the LCD segments represents a modular connector pin
    location. In FIND mode, the unit will detect and identify which wiring
    scheme is present in the cable being tested. Voltage protection enables the
    tester to withstand typical telephone line voltages. A low battery
    indication is provided, as well as an automatic shut-off feature to extend
    battery life.

    The STM-8 consists of a hand-held master unit and a remote. The kit comes
    packaged in a padded nylon carrying case with one identifiable remote, two
    modular test cords, The Siemon Company's Wiring Reference Guide, instruction
    book, warranty card and a 9V alkaline battery. The modular cords are
    equipped with patented "Universal" plugs which fit into any standard 6- or
    8-position modular jack.

    I also have a tone & probe to trace wires
    http://www.nudata.com/testers/tone probe.htm model 200EP Inductive Amp and
    77HP tracer. (This was a nice freebie from my neighbor who works for Lucent)

    Trai'
    Trai' La Trash, Jan 14, 2004