    faster, I would prefer pulling the CAT5 through it, but it's a 250 foot run.

    Thanks,
    --tRuth

    tRuthvalue, Nov 7, 2005

  2. tRuthvalue

    Ron Martell Guest

    "tRuthvalue" <> wrote:

    >1) How many feet can a HardWire (CAT5) router reliably communicate with an
    >ethernet NIC in a remote computer?
    >
    >2) How many feet can the popular Wireless routers reliably communicate with
    >remote machines? This would involve penetrating the exterior walls of two
    >buildings, one with the router, the other with the remote computer.
    >
    >The site has conduit connecting the 2 buildings and because it should be
    >faster, I would prefer pulling the CAT5 through it, but it's a 250 foot run.

    Maximum run length for Cat5 is 100 metres (better than 300 feet).
    Beyond that distance the signal will degrade.

    I have had problems with wireless signal strengths at 50 feet with 2
    intervening walls, where one of the walls was formerly an exterior
    wall and had insulation (type unknown) in it.

    If you want to pursue the wiress option I would plan on using an
    outdoor high gain antenna on one building and possibly both.

    I use a laptop to check signal strengths at various distances when
    planning wireless installtions. That way I can walk from room to
    room, or even outside and check on connectivity.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Nov 7, 2005

  3. tRuthvalue

    Ish Taylor Guest

    "tRuthvalue" <> wrote in message
    > 1) How many feet can a HardWire (CAT5) router reliably communicate with an
    > ethernet NIC in a remote computer?
    >
    > 2) How many feet can the popular Wireless routers reliably communicate

    with
    > remote machines? This would involve penetrating the exterior walls of two
    > buildings, one with the router, the other with the remote computer.
    >
    > The site has conduit connecting the 2 buildings and because it should be
    > faster, I would prefer pulling the CAT5 through it, but it's a 250 foot

    run.

    > Thanks,
    > --tRuth

    The cable, from the computer's Ethernet adapter, is lead along its path of
    no more than 90 meters, through a wall jack etc.
    http://www.sfusd.edu/resources/netguide.html#Basics
    A bit dated, but very detailed. Last Updated: 9/11/97.

    Ish Taylor, Nov 7, 2005
  4. tRuthvalue wrote:
    > 1) How many feet can a HardWire (CAT5) router reliably communicate with an
    > ethernet NIC in a remote computer?
    >
    > 2) How many feet can the popular Wireless routers reliably communicate with
    > remote machines? This would involve penetrating the exterior walls of two
    > buildings, one with the router, the other with the remote computer.
    >
    > The site has conduit connecting the 2 buildings and because it should be
    > faster, I would prefer pulling the CAT5 through it, but it's a 250 foot run.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --tRuth

    I've crimped on plugs on both ends of a 1,000 foot roll of cat5 cable
    and connected through this. I was probably limited to about 10Mbs, but
    it was working just fine. I've also have had links of WiFi equipment up
    and running for 3 years at over 2 miles. This isn't the normal Office
    Depot junk, but stuff built for long distances but still within the same
    parameters as the consumer stuff. For every question, there's more than
    one answer.

    A 250 run of cat5 wouldn't worry me at all.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 7, 2005
  5. tRuthvalue

    Dan Evans Guest

    > 1) How many feet can a HardWire (CAT5) router reliably communicate with an
    > ethernet NIC in a remote computer?

    Reliably at T100, 100 metres You can go longer but expect to see packet loss
    on a busy run (the length is determined by the collision detection the
    protocol uses), and a drop in speed. Don't try to connect two different
    buildings, or you'll have problems with potential difference. This *can*
    occur in the same building if there is more than one feed from the electric
    company - I saw this once where three offices had been joined and kept
    individual meters.

    > 2) How many feet can the popular Wireless routers reliably communicate
    > with
    > remote machines? This would involve penetrating the exterior walls of two
    > buildings, one with the router, the other with the remote computer.

    Too many factors to consider. How thick are the walls, what are they made
    of, what type of construction was used, whats the gap between the rebar etc.
    I'd go for the most powerful kit you can afford, and check with a portable.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 7, 2005
  6. tRuthvalue

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 00:08:02 -0600, "Ish Taylor" <> wrote:

    >"tRuthvalue" <> wrote in message
    >> 1) How many feet can a HardWire (CAT5) router reliably communicate with an
    >> ethernet NIC in a remote computer?
    >>
    >> 2) How many feet can the popular Wireless routers reliably communicate

    >with
    >> remote machines? This would involve penetrating the exterior walls of two
    >> buildings, one with the router, the other with the remote computer.
    >>
    >> The site has conduit connecting the 2 buildings and because it should be
    >> faster, I would prefer pulling the CAT5 through it, but it's a 250 foot
    >> run.

    Feet as a measurement went out a long time ago. You need to talk in metres
    to be understood by other than old timers.

    >> Thanks,
    >> --tRuth
    >>

    > The cable, from the computer's Ethernet adapter, is lead along its path of
    >no more than 90 meters, through a wall jack etc.

    He means metres of course.

    >http://www.sfusd.edu/resources/netguide.html#Basics
    >A bit dated, but very detailed. Last Updated: 9/11/97.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Nov 7, 2005
  7. tRuthvalue

    Sarah Guest

    "Barry OGrady" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 00:08:02 -0600, "Ish Taylor" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"tRuthvalue" <> wrote in message
    >>> 1) How many feet can a HardWire (CAT5) router reliably communicate with
    >>> an
    >>> ethernet NIC in a remote computer?
    >>>
    >>> 2) How many feet can the popular Wireless routers reliably communicate

    >>with
    >>> remote machines? This would involve penetrating the exterior walls of
    >>> two
    >>> buildings, one with the router, the other with the remote computer.
    >>>
    >>> The site has conduit connecting the 2 buildings and because it should be
    >>> faster, I would prefer pulling the CAT5 through it, but it's a 250 foot
    >>> run.

    > Feet as a measurement went out a long time ago. You need to talk in metres
    > to be understood by other than old timers.
    >
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> --tRuth
    >>>

    >> The cable, from the computer's Ethernet adapter, is lead along its path
    >> of
    >>no more than 90 meters, through a wall jack etc.

    > He means metres of course.
    >
    >>http://www.sfusd.edu/resources/netguide.html#Basics
    >>A bit dated, but very detailed. Last Updated: 9/11/97.

    > Barry
    > =====
    > Home page
    > http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Thanks for clarifying that. The rest of us would never have figured it out.

    Sarah, Nov 7, 2005
  8. tRuthvalue

    Buffalo Guest

    > On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 00:08:02 -0600, "Ish Taylor" <> wrote:

    [snip]
    > > The cable, from the computer's Ethernet adapter, is lead along its path of
    > >no more than 90 meters, through a wall jack etc.

    > He means metres of course.

    The US spelling is meter, so I guess it all depends on where he is.

    Buffalo, Nov 7, 2005
  9. tRuthvalue

    tRuthvalue Guest

    Thanks Dan,

    You've helped us decide to go with CAT5.

    --tRuth

    tRuthvalue, Nov 7, 2005
  10. tRuthvalue

    tRuthvalue Guest

    Thanks Roger,

    Clearly, CAT5 is what we want for this application. Also, I see you too
    don't have any particualr problem multiplying or dividing by 3! :)

    --tRuth

    tRuthvalue, Nov 7, 2005
  11. tRuthvalue

    Dan Evans Guest

    > Thanks Dan,
    >
    > You've helped us decide to go with CAT5.

    NP, but watch for potential difference and make sure both buildings are
    grounded to the same point.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 8, 2005
  12. tRuthvalue

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:53:27 -0500, tRuthvalue wrote:

    >Thanks Roger,
    >
    >Clearly, CAT5 is what we want for this application. Also, I see you too
    >don't have any particualr problem multiplying or dividing by 3! :)

    For 2 buildings, you want fiber it's a lot safer , better protection
    from lighting , no problems with potential differences between the
    buildings.

    >--tRuth
    >
    >"Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> tRuthvalue wrote:
    >> > 1) How many feet can a HardWire (CAT5) router reliably communicate with

    >an
    >> > ethernet NIC in a remote computer?
    >> >
    >> > 2) How many feet can the popular Wireless routers reliably communicate

    >with
    >> > remote machines? This would involve penetrating the exterior walls of

    >two
    >> > buildings, one with the router, the other with the remote computer.
    >> >
    >> > The site has conduit connecting the 2 buildings and because it should be
    >> > faster, I would prefer pulling the CAT5 through it, but it's a 250 foot

    <snip>

    >> and running for 3 years at over 2 miles. This isn't the normal Office
    >> Depot junk, but stuff built for long distances but still within the same
    >> parameters as the consumer stuff. For every question, there's more than
    >> one answer.
    >>
    >> A 250 run of cat5 wouldn't worry me at all.

    Me

    why?, Nov 8, 2005
  13. tRuthvalue

    Miggsee Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    > "tRuthvalue" <> wrote:
    >
    >>1) How many feet can a HardWire (CAT5) router reliably communicate with an
    >>ethernet NIC in a remote computer?
    >>
    >>2) How many feet can the popular Wireless routers reliably communicate
    >>with
    >>remote machines? This would involve penetrating the exterior walls of two
    >>buildings, one with the router, the other with the remote computer.
    >>
    >>The site has conduit connecting the 2 buildings and because it should be
    >>faster, I would prefer pulling the CAT5 through it, but it's a 250 foot
    >>run.
    >>

    > Maximum run length for Cat5 is 100 metres (better than 300 feet).
    > Beyond that distance the signal will degrade.
    >
    > I have had problems with wireless signal strengths at 50 feet with 2
    > intervening walls, where one of the walls was formerly an exterior
    > wall and had insulation (type unknown) in it.
    >
    > If you want to pursue the wiress option I would plan on using an
    > outdoor high gain antenna on one building and possibly both.
    >
    > I use a laptop to check signal strengths at various distances when
    > planning wireless installtions. That way I can walk from room to
    > room, or even outside and check on connectivity.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Hi Ron! :)
    Would using CAT6 improve the signal's distance?

    Miggsee, Nov 8, 2005
  14. tRuthvalue

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Miggsee" <> wrote in message

    > Hi Ron! :)
    > Would using CAT6 improve the signal's distance?

    Nope.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 8, 2005
  15. tRuthvalue

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 06:51:06 -0500, Miggsee wrote:

    >"Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    >> "tRuthvalue" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>1) How many feet can a HardWire (CAT5) router reliably communicate with an
    >>>ethernet NIC in a remote computer?
    >>>
    >>>2) How many feet can the popular Wireless routers reliably communicate
    >>>with
    >>>remote machines? This would involve penetrating the exterior walls of two
    >>>buildings, one with the router, the other with the remote computer.
    >>>
    >>>The site has conduit connecting the 2 buildings and because it should be
    >>>faster, I would prefer pulling the CAT5 through it, but it's a 250 foot
    >>>run.
    >>>

    >> Maximum run length for Cat5 is 100 metres (better than 300 feet).
    >> Beyond that distance the signal will degrade.

    <snip>

    >> Good luck
    >>

    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> On-Line Help Computer Service
    >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>
    >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    >Hi Ron! :)
    >Would using CAT6 improve the signal's distance?

    No, oddly enough at work the Cat5/5e runs often went to the max 99m or
    130m + patching.

    The new building is all Cat 6 and max is 90m without patching. That
    (90m) only matter it appears if we ever get Gb to the desktop.

    Me

    why?, Nov 8, 2005
  16. tRuthvalue

    Miggsee Guest

    Thanks, guys! :)

    Miggsee, Nov 8, 2005
  17. tRuthvalue

    Paul Guest

    How would one use Fiber ? Is there a partucular device on each end ?

    Paul, Nov 10, 2005
  18. tRuthvalue

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 00:19:16 GMT, Paul wrote:

    >How would one use Fiber ? Is there a partucular device on each end ?

    Get a qualified fiber installer to do the job.

    Type of device,
    http://www.lanshack.com/utp_to_multimode_fiber_media_converters.asp
    You pick the 1 for the cable type / connector.

    why?, Nov 10, 2005