    conduit? Could I bury that cat5 without the conduit and expect it to
    last a few years. Or how about putting both electric and phone in the
    same conduit?

    L.D., Jun 21, 2007

  2. L.D. wrote:
    > I need to run a phone wire and a 220v electric wire about 60' to an
    > outside building. I want to use cat5 for the phone. If I put the cat5 in
    > conduit and bury it in the same trench as 240 electric, will I get
    > interference on the phone even if the electric wire is touching the
    > conduit? Could I bury that cat5 without the conduit and expect it to
    > last a few years. Or how about putting both electric and phone in the
    > same conduit?

    You do run the risk of interference, but the only way to know for sure
    is to try it. However, I bought a spool of direct burial cat5E, never
    had a problem with just cutting a slit in the ground and shoving it down
    into it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 21, 2007

  3. L.D.

    McWideGlide Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > L.D. wrote:
    >> I need to run a phone wire and a 220v electric wire about 60' to an
    >> outside building. I want to use cat5 for the phone. If I put the cat5 in
    >> conduit and bury it in the same trench as 240 electric, will I get
    >> interference on the phone even if the electric wire is touching the
    >> conduit? Could I bury that cat5 without the conduit and expect it to last
    >> a few years. Or how about putting both electric and phone in the same
    >> conduit?

    > You do run the risk of interference, but the only way to know for sure is
    > to try it. However, I bought a spool of direct burial cat5E, never had a
    > problem with just cutting a slit in the ground and shoving it down into
    > it.

    If you really are worried about interference, run the electrics in a rigid
    steel conduit and attach a grounding bushing on one end with a ground wire
    to your power source. Yes the conduit will ground itself but the copper
    ground wire will bleed off any magnetic interference.I would run the cat 5
    in a 3/4 inch pvc conduit. very cheap and you can repull instead of re dig
    if something goes wrong. the utility companies run conduits in the same
    trench all the time without problems. All in plastic. there is a minimum
    separation only to the gas supply.

    McWideGlide, Jun 21, 2007
  4. L.D.

    JANA Guest

    By standard, electric wire is supposed to be run in its own metal conduit
    with proper grounding of the conduit, and the ground conductor of the wire.
    Signal wire, such as network, audio, telephone, and video, are supposed to
    be run in their own conduit with no electric wires along with them.

    In practice, depending on the amount of current that will be going through
    the electric wire, you can sometimes get away without using the proper
    procedures.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jun 21, 2007
  5. L.D.

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:39:06 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >L.D. wrote:
    >> I need to run a phone wire and a 220v electric wire about 60' to an
    >> outside building. I want to use cat5 for the phone. If I put the cat5 in
    >> conduit and bury it in the same trench as 240 electric, will I get
    >> interference on the phone even if the electric wire is touching the
    >> conduit? Could I bury that cat5 without the conduit and expect it to
    >> last a few years. Or how about putting both electric and phone in the
    >> same conduit?

    >You do run the risk of interference, but the only way to know for sure
    >is to try it. However, I bought a spool of direct burial cat5E, never
    >had a problem with just cutting a slit in the ground and shoving it down
    >into it.

    How did you make the slit, and how deep did you bury the cable?

    --
    <wilhelm> "Idiot prices fell today with the expected announcement
    from the Fed that there would be no shortage of idiots for the

    Mara, Jun 21, 2007
  6. On 2007-06-21, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Mara waxed eloquently:
    > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:39:06 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    snip

    >>You do run the risk of interference, but the only way to know for sure
    >>is to try it. However, I bought a spool of direct burial cat5E, never
    >>had a problem with just cutting a slit in the ground and shoving it down
    >>into it.

    > How did you make the slit, and how deep did you bury the cable?

    He claims that people call him "Tripod", so just use your imagination...

    :)

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    When I sell liquor, it's called bootlegging; when my patrons serve

    The Old Sourdough, Jun 21, 2007
  7. Mara wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:39:06 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >

    >>L.D. wrote:
    >>
    >>>I need to run a phone wire and a 220v electric wire about 60' to an
    >>>outside building. I want to use cat5 for the phone. If I put the cat5 in
    >>>conduit and bury it in the same trench as 240 electric, will I get
    >>>interference on the phone even if the electric wire is touching the
    >>>conduit? Could I bury that cat5 without the conduit and expect it to
    >>>last a few years. Or how about putting both electric and phone in the
    >>>same conduit?

    >>You do run the risk of interference, but the only way to know for sure
    >>is to try it. However, I bought a spool of direct burial cat5E, never
    >>had a problem with just cutting a slit in the ground and shoving it down
    >>into it.

    > How did you make the slit, and how deep did you bury the cable?

    I have a flat blade shovel with a squared off business end, just used my
    foot to push it into the ground a few inches. Probably abour 4" deep.
    One time I was putting in one of those "invisible" dog fences and the
    ground was so hard and dry that a shovel wouldn't even dent it. So I
    reversed the blade on a circular saw and literally sawed a slot in the
    ground.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 21, 2007
  8. L.D.

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 07:51:18 -0500, The Old Sourdough <> wrote:

    >On 2007-06-21, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Mara waxed eloquently:
    >> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:39:06 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >snip
    >

    >>>You do run the risk of interference, but the only way to know for sure
    >>>is to try it. However, I bought a spool of direct burial cat5E, never
    >>>had a problem with just cutting a slit in the ground and shoving it down
    >>>into it.

    >> How did you make the slit, and how deep did you bury the cable?
    >>

    >He claims that people call him "Tripod", so just use your imagination...
    >
    >:)

    Oh, gee, thanks. Now I've got this image of him with a tree branch coming out of
    his butt.

    Mara, Jun 22, 2007
  9. Mara wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 07:51:18 -0500, The Old Sourdough <> wrote:

    >>He claims that people call him "Tripod", so just use your imagination...
    >>
    >>:)

    > Oh, gee, thanks. Now I've got this image of him with a tree branch coming out of
    > his butt.

    That must have been what gangle was talking about. I thought it was a
    sparerib.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 22, 2007
  10. L.D.

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    L.D. wrote:
    > I need to run a phone wire and a 220v electric wire about 60' to an
    > outside building. I want to use cat5 for the phone. If I put the cat5 in
    > conduit and bury it in the same trench as 240 electric, will I get
    > interference on the phone even if the electric wire is touching the
    > conduit? Could I bury that cat5 without the conduit and expect it to
    > last a few years. Or how about putting both electric and phone in the
    > same conduit?

    Jana is quite correct in the previous posting. In many jurisdictions
    electrical cable and networking/telephone cabling should not be run in
    the same conduit, and in fact are normally required to be about a foot
    apart (30cm).

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Jun 22, 2007
  11. L.D.

    J-McC Guest

    From your question this is the very reason why leglisation is created
    to specify why we must run electric cabling certain ways. In my time
    I have seen some totally unbelievable wiring installations. I have
    seen a house wired with 3 core rubber flex that over the years had
    perished and lots of the insulation had either fallen off or been
    eaten by rodents. I had to "repair" a cat5 network installation wher
    the cat5 cable was stapled allong the top of the skirting baord and
    has very sharp bends so the the cat5 cable could go up and around any
    powerpoint that lay in the way. I just cannot believe what some
    people have done some of their work is so dangerous nad potentially
    lethal.

    Legally you MUST use 2 separate conduits and bury the power one 600mm
    below the surface. I would keep them as far apart in the trench as
    possible to avoid interferance. Whilst doing it I would consider
    putting in a telephone cable run as well, run in conduit next to the
    CAT5 run.
    J McC
    *************************

    J-McC, Jul 15, 2007
  12. L.D.

    Kraftee Guest

    J-McC wrote:
    > From your question this is the very reason why leglisation is
    > created to specify why we must run electric cabling certain ways.
    > In my time I have seen some totally unbelievable wiring
    > installations. I have seen a house wired with 3 core rubber flex
    > that over the years had perished and lots of the insulation had
    > either fallen off or been eaten by rodents. I had to "repair" a
    > cat5 network installation wher the cat5 cable was stapled allong
    > the top of the skirting baord and has very sharp bends so the the
    > cat5 cable could go up and around any powerpoint that lay in the
    > way. I just cannot believe what some people have done some of
    > their work is so dangerous nad potentially lethal.
    >
    > Legally you MUST use 2 separate conduits and bury the power one
    > 600mm below the surface. I would keep them as far apart in the
    > trench as possible to avoid interferance. Whilst doing it I would
    > consider putting in a telephone cable run as well, run in conduit
    > next to the CAT5 run.
    > J McC

    Don't forget that over time the conduit/duct will fill with water &
    that _will_ rot the cable......unless it is specially designed for the
    purpose, don't think any Cat5 is up to that standard....

    Kraftee, Jul 15, 2007