    trying it out??

    Thanks.

    - Dave
    Dave, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Dave

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in news:1111610019.388566.244990
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I like the sound
    > of this, but am concerned about running IP over CAT3. Several people
    > I've talked to (including the vendor of the other system I'm looking at
    > - Avaya) are adamant that IP phones over CAT3 are a bad idea.

    Cat3 is fine for a 10mbit network, which should be enough for VoIP.

    But yes... it's probably a bad idea. Seems like cheaping out.

    You might be better off upgrading your data network to support VoIP.

    > And - most important - how
    > can I ensure that this will work without actually installing it and
    > trying it out??

    You can buy a certifer to check each run to see if it is capable of 10mbit
    speeds... but that'll mean you'll have to reterminate all the connections
    with a RJ45 jack.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Mar 24, 2005