Ca't telnet to cisco router from outside network. Inside works fine..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ejeangilles, Apr 7, 2009.

1. ejeangilles

ejeangilles

Hello all!

I have aproblem that I'm just stuck on. I have a practice lab in my network with an access server. I have comcast and a linksys router as my firewall. I have been doing port forwarding for some time to access my computers such as rdp, ftp, etc so i'm familiar with it. I can't seem to telnet to my cisco router from the outside I have dyndns setup and its been working fine. I can't telnet wheher its by domain name or IP address. I opened ports 23 on my router and that doesn't work. I can telnet internally to my router just fine but not externally. This router has IOS 12.4 enterprise. Any help would be appreciated!!
    ejeangilles, Apr 7, 2009
    1. Advertising

2. ejeangilles

dood

not sure if you are aware of the configuration expectations so...

source: w-w-w.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/security/configuration/guide/sec_fwall_auth_ftp_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1038640
    dood, Apr 8, 2009
    1. Advertising

3. ejeangilles

Torrence

May be you did not create a (gateway) default route out and allow inward access into your routers network gateway port. You should know that by default the access list declares all access as disallowed.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    Torrence, Mar 9, 2010
  4. ejeangilles

Torrence

You should check the current access list running on your router and make some changes to it.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    Torrence, Mar 9, 2010
  5. ejeangilles

farneville

check your firewall
    farneville, Apr 6, 2010
  6. ejeangilles

namratasnv

I do suggest you to check the firewall as, may be there is a problem happening during firewall so, it needs to be manage properly.

Thanks
    namratasnv, May 5, 2010
  7. ejeangilles

Akilla21

Check with Comcast... they generally don't allow remote access from outside connections. Especially, on Residential connections and even on the business class connections you have to request remote access and give the IP of src connection.

They do allow :8080 remote access, so maybe you can change the telnet port number to 8080 and see if that works. If not, I strongly recommend giving comcast a call.
    Akilla21, Nov 4, 2010
    1. Advertising