    with shelves?
    Thanks
    Lester
    Lester, Dec 6, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    Lester <> wrote:
    :We are moving to a colo facility that only has cabinets. We have
    :several Cats that used to be racked in open racks. The colo guys tell
    :us to put them on shelves in cabinets. Will there be weight issues
    :with shelves?

    Maybe. It depends on the loading capability of the shelves, which
    is something you would have to find out from the colo.

    6503: chassis 27 lbs, fully loaded: 83 lbs
    6506: chassis 45 lbs, fully loaded: 115 lbs
    6509: chassis 55 lbs, fully loaded: 135 lbs
    6509-NEB: chassis 55 lbs, fully loaded: 135 lbs
    6509-NEB-A: chassis 121 lb, fully loaded: 270 lbs
    6513: fully loaded, 240 lbs

    But then you have airflow and spacing issues. I suggest you
    look over the figures at
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/6000hw/inst_aug/0aspecs.htm
    --
    Sub-millibarn resolution bio-hyperdimensional plasmatic space
    polyimaging is just around the corner. -- Corry Lee Smith
    Walter Roberson, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Lester

    Scooby Guest

    > In article <>,
    > Lester <> wrote:
    > :We are moving to a colo facility that only has cabinets. We have
    > :several Cats that used to be racked in open racks. The colo guys tell
    > :us to put them on shelves in cabinets. Will there be weight issues
    > :with shelves?
    >
    > Maybe. It depends on the loading capability of the shelves, which
    > is something you would have to find out from the colo.
    >
    > 6503: chassis 27 lbs, fully loaded: 83 lbs
    > 6506: chassis 45 lbs, fully loaded: 115 lbs
    > 6509: chassis 55 lbs, fully loaded: 135 lbs
    > 6509-NEB: chassis 55 lbs, fully loaded: 135 lbs
    > 6509-NEB-A: chassis 121 lb, fully loaded: 270 lbs
    > 6513: fully loaded, 240 lbs
    >
    > But then you have airflow and spacing issues. I suggest you
    > look over the figures at

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/6000hw/inst_aug/
    0aspecs.htm
    > --
    > Sub-millibarn resolution bio-hyperdimensional plasmatic space
    > polyimaging is just around the corner. -- Corry Lee Smith

    Actually, with the cabinet, weight is less of a concern. Usually in a rack,
    all the weight is supported with the brackets at the front. Depending how
    you mount it, you can move that weight a little bit closer to the center.
    With the cabinet, there is a rack in the front and one in the back, so the
    shelf will have it's weight fully supported all the way around. Those
    shelves can hold quite a bit of weight. Not sure about the ones that are
    240 and 270, but I would guess they'd be fine with the setups that I've
    seen. Structurally and aesthetically, cabinets are a much better choice,
    they are just such a pain to get stuff in and out of. BTW - you can still
    rack mount it even in the cabinet with shelves, the rack is the same, there
    is just one in the front and one in the back.

    As Walter mentioned, airflow is more of a concern here. But, these cabinets
    are designed with airflow in mind. So, you'll probably be alright. For a
    warm fuzzy feeling, though, you can show the specs on that web page to the
    colo and see what they say about the flow of the cabinets.
    Scooby, Dec 6, 2003