    Since this was my first time of trying to align the four pair wires, didn't
    know if I was doing something wrong.

    Thanks for any advice!

    David H, Dec 30, 2003

  2. David H

    Wizard Guest

    Unless you have either crimped the cable severely or run it next to a
    fluorescent ballast the cable is not the problem. Make sure that the
    colors are correct and before you crimp the jack on make sure all the
    wires are cut square across and go to the inside end of the jack. There
    is no trick to it but it is a pain in the ass. You must have a tester to
    verify the integrity of both pairs.

    Wizard, Dec 30, 2003

  3. David H

    David H Guest

    Thanks! I saw an article on it and I probably didn't have all the wires
    equal. I think I had all the colors aligned, but then again, maybe not.
    Hopefully I will get better with experience.

    David H, Dec 30, 2003
  4. David H

    Adam Steiner Guest

    It just takes practice. In my experience, especially with stranded cable,
    the wires may be lined up, but when you put them into the jack, they're more
    likely to slip and switch between them. Just look before you crimp.

    --adam

    Adam Steiner, Dec 30, 2003
  5. David H

    V W Wall Guest

    David H wrote:

    > Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the quality of Cat5E
    > cables and if they ever break in a long run. I was trying to put a 70'
    > cable together. Borrowed the crimper, ended up trying about 5 different
    > times with the RJ 45 ends and never could get a good signal. Just wondered
    > if there is a good trick to crimping and aligning the wires. I was using
    > the 568A wiring connection.
    >
    > Since this was my first time of trying to align the four pair wires, didn't
    > know if I was doing something wrong.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice!

    You can get RJ45 jacks for Cat5e cable that use a "punch down" connection.
    It's much easier to do, and only reguires a punch down tool, rather than
    a crimper. Dynacom Cat. No. 10605e-BLU is one such jack. It's color
    coded for EIA-T568A or B. They cost a bit more than the crimp-on connecrors.

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    V W Wall, Dec 30, 2003
  6. David H

    Plato Guest

    David H wrote:

    > Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the quality of Cat5E
    > cables and if they ever break in a long run. I was trying to put a 70'

    The quality of the crimpers and ends can make a huge difference. I'ts
    not the cable.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 31, 2003