Cat 5 Cable question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Zap Eagle, Nov 8, 2007.

  1. Zap Eagle

    Zap Eagle Guest

    We have a category 5 cable that test good with a Belkin tester "4 pair
    green lights in order if good". When this
    cable is hooked up to a belkin 8 port router that two existing computers are
    using now and they work fine. The computer
    (3rd) newest one when connected with our new cable the icon states that 100
    mps connection is there. I can not get this computer to
    successfully aquire a network address. When I attempt to ping the router at
    192.168.1.1 I get nothing, but the other
    two work and can ping this address.

    We have 10 computers that are not on the internet because of the worry of
    somebody compromising our POS software.
    One of these non-internet computers connects to a switch near the internet
    router. I tried to network with the "new tested good cable"
    with this switch and cable does not work with the closed system either. The
    run of this cable goes through a crawl space and is about 400 feet
    from the router and switch. It took them two days to crawl through
    undiserable areas to add this new cable. That is why I am
    trying to figure out why cable tests good, but does not work. A further
    note, I checked this cable with a fluke multimeter to see
    if the cable was possible shorted together to fool the Belkin tester. No
    shorts we detected.

    Any ideas why I am getting this problem?

    Thanks

    Zap Eagle, Nov 8, 2007

  2. Zap Eagle wrote:

    > We have a category 5 cable that test good with a Belkin tester "4 pair
    > green lights in order if good". When this
    > cable is hooked up to a belkin 8 port router that two existing computers
    > are
    > using now and they work fine. The computer
    > (3rd) newest one when connected with our new cable the icon states that
    > 100
    > mps connection is there. I can not get this computer to
    > successfully aquire a network address. When I attempt to ping the router
    > at 192.168.1.1 I get nothing, but the other
    > two work and can ping this address.

    Is it set up for dhcp?
    Has the router turned MAC-filtering on?

    > We have 10 computers that are not on the internet because of the worry of
    > somebody compromising our POS software.
    > One of these non-internet computers connects to a switch near the internet
    > router. I tried to network with the "new tested good cable"
    > with this switch and cable does not work with the closed system either.
    > The run of this cable goes through a crawl space and is about 400 feet

    You mean the cable is 400 ft long or even more? That would overstress the
    specification ...

    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 8, 2007

  3. Zap Eagle wrote:
    > We have a category 5 cable that test good with a Belkin tester "4 pair
    > green lights in order if good". When this
    > cable is hooked up to a belkin 8 port router that two existing computers are
    > using now and they work fine. The computer
    > (3rd) newest one when connected with our new cable the icon states that 100
    > mps connection is there. I can not get this computer to
    > successfully aquire a network address. When I attempt to ping the router at
    > 192.168.1.1 I get nothing, but the other
    > two work and can ping this address.
    >
    > We have 10 computers that are not on the internet because of the worry of
    > somebody compromising our POS software.
    > One of these non-internet computers connects to a switch near the internet
    > router. I tried to network with the "new tested good cable"
    > with this switch and cable does not work with the closed system either. The
    > run of this cable goes through a crawl space and is about 400 feet
    > from the router and switch. It took them two days to crawl through
    > undiserable areas to add this new cable. That is why I am
    > trying to figure out why cable tests good, but does not work. A further
    > note, I checked this cable with a fluke multimeter to see
    > if the cable was possible shorted together to fool the Belkin tester. No
    > shorts we detected.

    Run a good, tested cable directly from the computer to the switch, over
    doorways and desks and shit just for testing purposes. If the
    replacement cable checks out, you either have gone over the limit in
    length of Cat5 or there's something screwed about the cable that the
    meter doesn't show. One solution if it's over the length problems, is to
    use a switch about midway down the length of the cable. Cable in, cable
    out. It will act as a relay of sorts.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 8, 2007
  4. Zap Eagle

    PeeCee Guest

    "Zap Eagle" <> wrote in message
    > We have a category 5 cable that test good with a Belkin tester "4 pair
    > green lights in order if good". When this
    > cable is hooked up to a belkin 8 port router that two existing computers
    > are using now and they work fine. The computer
    > (3rd) newest one when connected with our new cable the icon states that
    > 100 mps connection is there. I can not get this computer to
    > successfully aquire a network address. When I attempt to ping the router
    > at 192.168.1.1 I get nothing, but the other
    > two work and can ping this address.
    >
    > We have 10 computers that are not on the internet because of the worry of
    > somebody compromising our POS software.
    > One of these non-internet computers connects to a switch near the internet
    > router. I tried to network with the "new tested good cable"
    > with this switch and cable does not work with the closed system either.
    > The run of this cable goes through a crawl space and is about 400 feet
    > from the router and switch. It took them two days to crawl through
    > undiserable areas to add this new cable. That is why I am
    > trying to figure out why cable tests good, but does not work. A further
    > note, I checked this cable with a fluke multimeter to see
    > if the cable was possible shorted together to fool the Belkin tester. No
    > shorts we detected.
    >
    > Any ideas why I am getting this problem?
    >
    > Thanks

    Zap Eagle

    Your cable run is simply much to long.
    The maximum for Cat 5 is 328 feet (or 100 metres) beyond that (as you have
    found) it may not work.

    Your options include:
    Putting a switch part way to reduce the longest run to <100 metres.
    Changing over to Fibre Optical cable.
    Going to Thin or Thick (Coax) network if 10Mbit max is fast enough.
    WiFi using directional Antenna's.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Nov 8, 2007
  5. Zap Eagle

    Zap Eagle Guest

    "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Zap Eagle wrote:
    >
    >> We have a category 5 cable that test good with a Belkin tester "4 pair
    >> green lights in order if good". When this
    >> cable is hooked up to a belkin 8 port router that two existing computers
    >> are
    >> using now and they work fine. The computer
    >> (3rd) newest one when connected with our new cable the icon states that
    >> 100
    >> mps connection is there. I can not get this computer to
    >> successfully aquire a network address. When I attempt to ping the router
    >> at 192.168.1.1 I get nothing, but the other
    >> two work and can ping this address.
    >>

    > Is it set up for dhcp?
    > Has the router turned MAC-filtering on?
    >
    >> We have 10 computers that are not on the internet because of the worry of
    >> somebody compromising our POS software.
    >> One of these non-internet computers connects to a switch near the
    >> internet
    >> router. I tried to network with the "new tested good cable"
    >> with this switch and cable does not work with the closed system either.
    >> The run of this cable goes through a crawl space and is about 400 feet

    > You mean the cable is 400 ft long or even more? That would overstress the
    > specification ...

    dhcp is set up and computer does work when I carried it directly to router!

    Zap Eagle, Nov 8, 2007
  6. Zap Eagle

    Zap Eagle Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Zap Eagle wrote:
    >> We have a category 5 cable that test good with a Belkin tester "4 pair
    >> green lights in order if good". When this
    >> cable is hooked up to a belkin 8 port router that two existing computers
    >> are using now and they work fine. The computer
    >> (3rd) newest one when connected with our new cable the icon states that
    >> 100 mps connection is there. I can not get this computer to
    >> successfully aquire a network address. When I attempt to ping the router
    >> at 192.168.1.1 I get nothing, but the other
    >> two work and can ping this address.
    >>
    >> We have 10 computers that are not on the internet because of the worry of
    >> somebody compromising our POS software.
    >> One of these non-internet computers connects to a switch near the
    >> internet router. I tried to network with the "new tested good cable"
    >> with this switch and cable does not work with the closed system either.
    >> The run of this cable goes through a crawl space and is about 400 feet
    >> from the router and switch. It took them two days to crawl through
    >> undiserable areas to add this new cable. That is why I am
    >> trying to figure out why cable tests good, but does not work. A further
    >> note, I checked this cable with a fluke multimeter to see
    >> if the cable was possible shorted together to fool the Belkin tester. No
    >> shorts we detected.

    > Run a good, tested cable directly from the computer to the switch, over
    > doorways and desks and shit just for testing purposes. If the replacement
    > cable checks out, you either have gone over the limit in length of Cat5 or
    > there's something screwed about the cable that the meter doesn't show. One
    > solution if it's over the length problems, is to use a switch about midway
    > down the length of the cable. Cable in, cable out. It will act as a relay
    > of sorts.

    We do have another computer that is just as far away and that cable works.
    It is on the closed network.
    this new cable doesn't on the closed network either. It seems strange that
    the network icon shows that
    it is connected.

    Zap Eagle, Nov 8, 2007
  7. Zap Eagle

    Jim McCardle Guest

    Re: Cat 5 Cable question mixed pairs?

    A while back I was asked to look at a very similar problem to this and
    it turned out to be mismatched pairs in the cabling. What I mean by
    this was that say the blue cable was paired with the green/white and
    the green with the blue/white. When I used a cheap cable tester it
    showed continuity and the appropriate leds came on in sequence and all
    seemed well. The computers had been upgraded and all had 100mhz
    network cards. They had been upgraded from a 10mhz network.
    One of the problems was that the data was getting corrupted and
    performance on some cable runs was very poor and excellent on others.
    Eventually I removed the outlets from the walls and then I noticed the
    incorrect wiring (the mix up in the pairs). I reterminated the cables
    correctly and hey presto everything worked like a dream.
    It is easy to see what has happened as two or more people were
    involved in the cabling and terminating and at 10 mhz the error was
    less critical than at 100mhz.
    Having determined this I then found when I spoke to some "real"
    network gurus that this is more common than one would expect.
    Probably the fact that some cat5/rj45 sockets have different
    connections may lead to the confusion. I allways make sure I purchase
    connectors that are color coded. Even then you must be carefull as
    most have two sets of colors for 568A and 568B standards. I allways
    use the 568A configuration.
    I hope this helps you.
    Jim McCardle

    Jim McCardle, Nov 9, 2007
  8. Zap Eagle

    nobody > Guest

    Zap Eagle wrote:
    > "R瀻瘲" <> wrote in message
    >> Zap Eagle wrote:
    >>> We have a category 5 cable that test good with a Belkin tester "4 pair
    >>> green lights in order if good". When this
    >>> cable is hooked up to a belkin 8 port router that two existing computers
    >>> are using now and they work fine. The computer
    >>> (3rd) newest one when connected with our new cable the icon states that
    >>> 100 mps connection is there. I can not get this computer to
    >>> successfully aquire a network address. When I attempt to ping the router
    >>> at 192.168.1.1 I get nothing, but the other
    >>> two work and can ping this address.
    >>>
    >>> We have 10 computers that are not on the internet because of the worry of
    >>> somebody compromising our POS software.
    >>> One of these non-internet computers connects to a switch near the
    >>> internet router. I tried to network with the "new tested good cable"
    >>> with this switch and cable does not work with the closed system either.
    >>> The run of this cable goes through a crawl space and is about 400 feet
    >>> from the router and switch. It took them two days to crawl through
    >>> undiserable areas to add this new cable. That is why I am
    >>> trying to figure out why cable tests good, but does not work. A further
    >>> note, I checked this cable with a fluke multimeter to see
    >>> if the cable was possible shorted together to fool the Belkin tester. No
    >>> shorts we detected.

    >> Run a good, tested cable directly from the computer to the switch, over
    >> doorways and desks and shit just for testing purposes. If the replacement
    >> cable checks out, you either have gone over the limit in length of Cat5 or
    >> there's something screwed about the cable that the meter doesn't show. One
    >> solution if it's over the length problems, is to use a switch about midway
    >> down the length of the cable. Cable in, cable out. It will act as a relay
    >> of sorts.

    > We do have another computer that is just as far away and that cable works.
    > It is on the closed network.
    > this new cable doesn't on the closed network either. It seems strange that
    > the network icon shows that
    > it is connected.

    You mentioned that Belkin LAN tester earlier. Be aware that all this
    tester can do is see that the wiring is correct, wire/pin for wire/pin.

    Squashing, kinking, or otherwise deforming the cable can cause it not to
    work properly at rated speed or even at degraded speed, even though it
    tests fine on a low-end tester or your Fluke. LAN traffic is actually
    RF, just carried on wires. You need to test it that way.

    nobody >, Nov 9, 2007
  9. Zap Eagle

    Zap Eagle Guest

    I want to thank you all for your responses and ideas. I assumed to much
    because of the other computer (not on internet)
    had a cable that worked. After tracking that computer cables route, I found
    that it in fact had not gone all the way to the
    same location, it had a hub in-between. I cut the cable that was not
    working and did the same and viola it worked. Anyway, the
    cable in fact was to long as some of you told me. I was confused because of
    my assumption of the above statement.

    Again, thanks to you all!

    Zap Eagle, Nov 13, 2007
  10. Zap Eagle

    PeeCee Guest

    "Zap Eagle" <> wrote in message
    >I want to thank you all for your responses and ideas. I assumed to much
    >because of the other computer (not on internet)
    > had a cable that worked. After tracking that computer cables route, I
    > found that it in fact had not gone all the way to the
    > same location, it had a hub in-between. I cut the cable that was not
    > working and did the same and viola it worked. Anyway, the
    > cable in fact was to long as some of you told me. I was confused because
    > of my assumption of the above statement.
    >
    > Again, thanks to you all!
    >
    > "Zap Eagle" <> wrote in message
    >> We have a category 5 cable that test good with a Belkin tester "4 pair
    >> green lights in order if good". When this
    >> cable is hooked up to a belkin 8 port router that two existing computers
    >> are using now and they work fine. The computer
    >> (3rd) newest one when connected with our new cable the icon states that
    >> 100 mps connection is there. I can not get this computer to
    >> successfully aquire a network address. When I attempt to ping the router
    >> at 192.168.1.1 I get nothing, but the other
    >> two work and can ping this address.
    >>
    >> We have 10 computers that are not on the internet because of the worry of
    >> somebody compromising our POS software.
    >> One of these non-internet computers connects to a switch near the
    >> internet router. I tried to network with the "new tested good cable"
    >> with this switch and cable does not work with the closed system either.
    >> The run of this cable goes through a crawl space and is about 400 feet
    >> from the router and switch. It took them two days to crawl through
    >> undiserable areas to add this new cable. That is why I am
    >> trying to figure out why cable tests good, but does not work. A further
    >> note, I checked this cable with a fluke multimeter to see
    >> if the cable was possible shorted together to fool the Belkin tester. No
    >> shorts we detected.
    >>
    >> Any ideas why I am getting this problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    And thanks for posting the fix.

    Best
    Paul.