cat 3550 question, looking for good ideas

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by mcmoin, May 26, 2004.

  1. mcmoin

    mcmoin Guest

    hi,

    i want to connect 2 cat 3550-24 emi back to back via GE.

    i want to transport layer 2 vpn (vlan)
    example:
    example vlan5-----cat3550-----cat3550----vlan5

    i want to transport layer 3 vpn.
    example:
    vlan1-----cat3550-----cat3550----vlan3
    vlan2-----cat3550-----cat3550----vlan4
    vlan1 and vlan3 running in one VRF
    vlan2 and vlan4 running in one VRF

    i'm not sure how to configure the GE interface. there are 2 possibilities.
    trunk port(switchport) - no switchport (sub interfaces)

    when i choose no switchport (subinterfaces) for the GE int, i can perfectly
    map the vlans to the subif with vrf-ce.
    but i cant transport layer 2 vlan from swx a to swx b

    when i choose trunk port, i can perfectly transport layer 2 vlan from swx a
    to swx b
    but i cannot connect 2 vlans via inter-vlan routing
    example: lets say swx a has vlan 1 connected and swx b has vlan3 connected -
    how to connect vlan 1 and vlan 3???
    of course with vrf-ce (i dont want to connect to all other vlans)

    does anyone has some example config for me? or could you pls give me some
    good url?
    reading cisco cat3550.pdf and searching cisco website was not very
    satisfied.

    of course i know this is the poor-man solution for mpls-backbone. :)

    thank you for your help in advance

    mcmoin
    mcmoin, May 26, 2004

  2. mcmoin

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    In article <c931p3$u3m$00$-online.com>,
    says...
    > hi,
    >
    > i want to connect 2 cat 3550-24 emi back to back via GE.
    >
    > i want to transport layer 2 vpn (vlan)
    > example:
    > example vlan5-----cat3550-----cat3550----vlan5
    >
    > i want to transport layer 3 vpn.
    > example:
    > vlan1-----cat3550-----cat3550----vlan3
    > vlan2-----cat3550-----cat3550----vlan4
    > vlan1 and vlan3 running in one VRF
    > vlan2 and vlan4 running in one VRF

    I'm no expert in MPLS but anyway.... First, question about your idea:
    "Why do you want to transport both 'vlan based VPN' and 'VRF based VPN'"?

    The real question for you is 'What do you want to achieve?'. Not in
    technical terminology (it is kind of confusing what you actually graphed
    with ascii). Try to explain using simple words :).

    --Ivan.
    Ivan Ostres, May 27, 2004

  3. mcmoin

    mcmoin Guest

    "Ivan Ostres" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > I'm no expert in MPLS but anyway.... First, question about your idea:
    > "Why do you want to transport both 'vlan based VPN' and 'VRF based VPN'"?
    >
    > The real question for you is 'What do you want to achieve?'. Not in
    > technical terminology (it is kind of confusing what you actually graphed
    > with ascii). Try to explain using simple words :).

    okay i try:
    image you have 3 customers: customer A, customer B and customer C

    lets say the customer A,B,C have 2 locations each and you have your network
    in between.

    customer A has following network 192.168.1.0/24
    he wants to have this network in both places. no problem you could use a
    vlan to transport the broadcasts.

    customer B has 2 networks: 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24
    he wants to use 192.168.1.0/24 at location a and 192.168.2.0/24 at location
    so you see you have the same ip address ranges like customer A.
    but you want to transport his net seperated over the same hardware.

    customer C has 2 networks 192.168.2.0/24 and 192.168.1.0/24
    he wants to use 192.168.2.0/24 at location a and 192.168.1.0/24 at location
    so you see you have the same ip address ranges like customer A and B
    but you want to transport his net seperated over the same hardware.

    and so on....

    layer 2 vpn for customer A and layer 3 vpn for customer B and C

    hope that helps

    mcmoin
    mcmoin, May 27, 2004
  4. mcmoin

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    In article <c95hgm$ha8$06$-online.com>,
    says...

    > "Ivan Ostres" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > >
    > > I'm no expert in MPLS but anyway.... First, question about your idea:
    > > "Why do you want to transport both 'vlan based VPN' and 'VRF based VPN'"?
    > >
    > > The real question for you is 'What do you want to achieve?'. Not in
    > > technical terminology (it is kind of confusing what you actually graphed
    > > with ascii). Try to explain using simple words :).

    > okay i try:
    > image you have 3 customers: customer A, customer B and customer C
    >
    > lets say the customer A,B,C have 2 locations each and you have your network
    > in between.

    [very good explanation]
    > layer 2 vpn for customer A and layer 3 vpn for customer B and C

    My idea of solving this would be to create real L3 VPN core between
    switches (MPLS).

    For users that need L2 transparency, I would be looking at AToM (Cisco's
    term for L2 over MPLS transport). AToM stands for Anything over MPLS and
    the part of that specification is Ethernet over MPLS (EoMPLS).

    I have to say that I have never tried AToM myself. I've heard about it in
    Networkers conference as a part of Metro Ethernet services, so I don't
    know at which stage it is implemented and if it works ok. So, try
    searching CCO on EoMPLS.

    --Ivan.
    Ivan Ostres, May 28, 2004