    what I need? (Software & Cables)

    TIA
    Sean

    J J, Sep 12, 2007

  2. J J

    Ragnar Guest

    J J wrote:
    > I would like to transfer alot of my Cassettes & LP to CD's but I
    > don't know what I need? (Software & Cables)
    >
    > TIA
    > Sean

    I've just finished doing this job and have now thrown away all my cassettes
    and LPs.

    You need a cassette deck with stereo line out sockets (RCA type are usual).
    You need a record player deck with similar BUT note that record decks often
    have a low power output and will need boosting with a pre-amplifier (I
    bought one for £8 from Richer Sounds).
    You then need a cable with RCA plugs on one end (or whatever) and a mini
    jack plug on the other. You can get these from somewhere like Maplin (USA:
    Radio Shack) but I made one up myself. This plugs into the Line In socket on
    your PCs sound card (NOT the microphone socket!)

    I used Audacity (a good freeware sound recording prog) but I have used
    Audiograbber and Total Recorder in the past. Audacity will allow quite a
    bit of editing and then saving as WAV or MP3 format to your HDD.

    If your LPs have a lot of scratches then have a look at Groove Mechanic -
    free for 15 days.

    Finally, you need burning software to burn your music or mp3 CDs.

    There are plenty of sites offering advice and techniques if you Google for
    it.

    Hope this helps
    :)

    Ragnar, Sep 12, 2007

  3. J J

    thanatoid Guest

    "J J" <> wrote in

    > I would like to transfer alot of my Cassettes & LP to CD's
    > but I don't know what I need? (Software & Cables)
    >
    > TIA
    > Sean

    If, like most people, and unlike your other respondent assumes,
    you own a stereo WITH an amplifier and speakers rather than a
    cassette deck and a turntable with nothing else, then if the
    stereo is semi recent chances are it will be an all-in-one and
    have no RCA line-outs. I never believed it even after a
    technician told me, but using the headphone jack connected to
    line-in of your sound card works just fine. I did find I have to
    turn up the volume on the stereo to about 90% (IOW VERY loud so
    make sure you turn it down before you yank out the plug from the
    headphone jack - ALWAYS by the plug, never by the cable).

    The cable needs to be a stereo 1/8" mini to same, have one made
    using the best plugs and cable you can get (like Gotham cable
    and Neutrik plugs) in the length you need. Mine is about 15 feet
    and no problem.

    The rest of his advice is good, you can use Audacity (not
    familiar with it) or look up "LP to mp3" on Google to find some
    other applications to record with. I use "LP recorder" but there
    is a new one which is about the same and costs less, I forget
    the name, and there are probably others.

    Always record to WAV, do whatever cleaning/editing in an editor
    like Gold Wave or Audition, convert using a good converter and a
    decent bitrate (I have settled on manually-set 192 true stereo)
    and burn using good burning software. I use the one from
    www.goldenhawk.com. Make an ISO first. Do not burn at top speed.

    It will take some time to learn to do it right. Patience will be
    required.

    Scratch pop and noise removers are to be used with great caution
    since most of them WILL alter the recording unless used by
    super-experts.

    For dictionary of all this and more info:
    www.cdrfaq.org

    --
    "This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
    - illyria

    thanatoid, Sep 12, 2007
  4. J J

    Shel-hed Guest

    On 12 Sep 2007 17:15:17 GMT, thanatoid <> wrote:

    >It will take some time to learn to do it right. Patience will be
    >required.

    And I'll just add, if you don't want to do it all over again, buy quality CDs.
    The first batch I did have all failed, with the exception of a few that were
    away from all light. They were Princo CDRs.
    Luckily I still have all my LPs, and I'm still buying more. :)

    Shel-hed, Sep 12, 2007
  5. J J

    Sunny Guest

    Sunny, Sep 13, 2007
  6. J J

    ellis_jay Guest

    Sunny wrote:
    > "J J" <> wrote in message
    >> I would like to transfer alot of my Cassettes & LP to CD's but I
    >> don't know what I need? (Software & Cables)

    > http://www.gmayor.com/copy_vinyl_to_CDR.htm
    > http://www.cfbsoftware.com/default.htm
    > http://www.ripvinyl.com/
    > http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/

    also:

    http://mysite.verizon.net/xico/dadiOH-light.htm

    --
    When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
    not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Sep 13, 2007
  7. J J

    ProfGene Guest

    ellis_jay wrote:
    > Sunny wrote:
    >> "J J" <> wrote in message
    >>> I would like to transfer alot of my Cassettes & LP to CD's but I
    >>> don't know what I need? (Software & Cables)

    >> http://www.gmayor.com/copy_vinyl_to_CDR.htm
    >> http://www.cfbsoftware.com/default.htm
    >> http://www.ripvinyl.com/
    >> http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/

    > also:
    >
    > http://mysite.verizon.net/xico/dadiOH-light.htm

    You need cables with RCA connectors at one end and if you are using a
    sound card 8th inch connectors at the other end. You can get these at a
    Radio Shack. You will also need a program like Cooledit to create the
    wave files which you can then burn onto CD's. You put the output of the
    stereo or tape player into the input of the sound card. You play the
    tape or record and record on Cooledit.

    ProfGene, Oct 5, 2007
  8. J J

    Candy Applez Guest

    sure, a 600.00 program...

    Candy Applez, Oct 6, 2007
  9. J J

    Ish Guest

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 16:36:59 -0500, ProfGene wrote:

    > ellis_jay wrote:
    >> Sunny wrote:
    >>> "J J" <> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.gmayor.com/copy_vinyl_to_CDR.htm
    >>> http://www.cfbsoftware.com/default.htm
    >>> http://www.ripvinyl.com/
    >>> http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/

    >> also:
    >>
    >> http://mysite.verizon.net/xico/dadiOH-light.htm
    >>

    > You need cables with RCA connectors at one end and if you are using a
    > sound card 8th inch connectors at the other end. You can get these at a
    > Radio Shack. You will also need a program like Cooledit to create the
    > wave files which you can then burn onto CD's. You put the output of the
    > stereo or tape player into the input of the sound card. You play the
    > tape or record and record on Cooledit.

    Or use Audacity, it's free.

    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

    Ish, Oct 6, 2007
  10. J J

    Robert Baer Guest

    Re: Help - need advice!

    Terpsi wrote:
    > Can anyone direct me to a website or newsgroup that can help me solve the
    > following problem?
    >
    > After years of research, I have compiled data on a CD that contains text
    > and
    > photos (i.e, pics, drawings and maps). I plan to sell it myself as a CD
    > since book form would be too costly to include several photos and maps.
    >
    > How can I create a CD whereby one cannot copy it onto another CD? I do not
    > mind if one downloads it onto their hard drive to zoom in on maps, make
    > text
    > larger or print text from it; however, I do not want the CD copied for
    > re-distribution pursuant to copyright law. I know it can be done but don't
    > know how it can be done.
    >
    > Example: I have a CD I've downloaded to my HD. I can print it but the CD
    > cannot be burned nor copied from the HD. I wish to create my CD in the
    > same
    > manner. Any ideas??? And about how much would it cost to create it that
    > way?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Terpsi

    A CD or DVD can be copied without explicitly "downloading" to the
    hard drive.
    Most, if not all such discs can be copied using Pinnacle or Nero or
    similar software; they seem to read the bitstream from the CD track by
    track and place that image on the HD, which in turn, is used in a
    reverse process, to write ("burn") the copy.
    One can even buy a stand-alone box to do that, and those can make
    multiple copies at the same time.

    Terpsi, Oct 16, 2007
  12. J J

    Evan Platt Guest

    Re: Help - need advice!

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 23:09:38 -0500, "Terpsi" <>
    wrote:

    >Can anyone direct me to a website or newsgroup that can help me solve the
    > following problem?
    >
    > After years of research, I have compiled data on a CD that contains text
    >and
    > photos (i.e, pics, drawings and maps). I plan to sell it myself as a CD
    > since book form would be too costly to include several photos and maps.
    >
    > How can I create a CD whereby one cannot copy it onto another CD? I do not
    > mind if one downloads it onto their hard drive to zoom in on maps, make
    >text
    > larger or print text from it; however, I do not want the CD copied for
    > re-distribution pursuant to copyright law. I know it can be done but don't
    > know how it can be done.
    >
    >Example: I have a CD I've downloaded to my HD. I can print it but the CD
    > cannot be burned nor copied from the HD. I wish to create my CD in the
    >same
    > manner. Any ideas??? And about how much would it cost to create it that
    >way?

    What you've done is called Thread Hijacking - replying to a message,
    changing the subject, and starting a new thread. If you want to create
    a new subject, use the New Post feature in your newsreader - not the
    Reply feature.

    To answer your question, how much money do you want to spend, and have
    be wasted?

    You really CANNOT prevent a CD from being copied.

    Now, if the CD contained an application that is installed on a
    computer, and to run the application, the CD needs to be inserted,
    then it would be POSSIBLE to do this - however people have cracked
    most "CD Required" applications.

    You can't make a CD that cannot be copied if someone wants to.

    Plus, if the CD is simply photos and files, I could simply copy the
    files to my hard drive, then burn them back to a CD if for some reason
    I couldn't copy the CD.

    Evan Platt, Oct 16, 2007
  13. J J

    ded Guest

    Re: Help - need advice!

    "Terpsi" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone direct me to a website or newsgroup that can help me solve the
    > following problem?
    >
    > After years of research, I have compiled data on a CD that contains text
    > and
    > photos (i.e, pics, drawings and maps). I plan to sell it myself as a CD
    > since book form would be too costly to include several photos and maps.
    >
    > How can I create a CD whereby one cannot copy it onto another CD? I do
    > not
    > mind if one downloads it onto their hard drive to zoom in on maps, make
    > text
    > larger or print text from it; however, I do not want the CD copied for
    > re-distribution pursuant to copyright law. I know it can be done but don't
    > know how it can be done.
    >
    > Example: I have a CD I've downloaded to my HD. I can print it but the CD
    > cannot be burned nor copied from the HD. I wish to create my CD in the
    > same
    > manner. Any ideas??? And about how much would it cost to create it that
    > way?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Terpsi

    That is one long-winded post just to ask how to copy protect a CD.
    This is just one method:
    http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_protect_cd.shtml
    For a full boring read, google:
    "digital rights management"
    "CD copy protection"

    ded, Oct 16, 2007
  14. J J

    Terpsi Guest

    Re: Help - need advice!

    Thank you both for replying and leading me in the right direction.

    Terpsi

    Terpsi, Oct 17, 2007
  15. J J

    Canopus Guest

    Re: Help - need advice!

    ded scribed:

    >That is one long-winded post just to ask how to copy protect a CD.
    >This is just one method:
    >http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_protect_cd.shtml
    >For a full boring read, google:
    >"digital rights management"
    >"CD copy protection"

    Yet the copy protection can still be circumvented, you only have to visit
    a few torrent sites to see all the copy protected CD games that have been
    copied, protection removed and available. There is no way to make it 100%
    secure.

    --
    Rob

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/