    here speak specifically from experience about how to make this %$&^%*&#
    camera take a picture when I want it to? TIA.

    Chris
    Chris, Feb 17, 2006

  2. Chris

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > We have a QV-R51 which generally takes great pictures but takes FOREVER
    > to take them. I've made sure that the battery is full, turned off
    > red-eye reduction, and played with everything else I can think of but I
    > press the shutter button, count to 100 (OK, maybe only 3) and _then_
    > the camara finally takes a picture. Yet other messages in this group
    > suggest that Casio brags about their short shutter lag. Can anyone
    > here speak specifically from experience about how to make this %$&^%*&#
    > camera take a picture when I want it to? TIA.
    >

    > Chris

    Shutter delay is due to the camera having to make several adjustment
    decisions. Exposure, ISO, focus, white balance.
    If any of these are set manually, the work of the camera is reduced.
    If the camera is held steady, again, its work is reduced.
    If the light level is sufficient for focussing, this helps too.

    Just for an experiment, set the camera to full manual. Take some shots.
    Pretty quick eh?

    How did we ever manage without automagic in the old days.

    R.
    Rudy Benner, Feb 17, 2006

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Rudy Benner wrote:
    > "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > > We have a QV-R51 which generally takes great pictures but takes FOREVER
    > > to take them. ... Yet other messages in this group
    > > suggest that Casio brags about their short shutter lag. ...

    > Shutter delay is due to the camera having to make several adjustment
    > decisions. Exposure, ISO, focus, white balance.
    > If any of these are set manually, the work of the camera is reduced.
    > If the camera is held steady, again, its work is reduced.
    > If the light level is sufficient for focussing, this helps too.

    Won't BestShot do that? That is, preselect the settings I want and
    eliminate decisions?

    > Just for an experiment, set the camera to full manual. Take some shots.
    > Pretty quick eh?

    I'll try that. But why doesn't the camera make those adjustments
    continuously so that it is ready to take a picture when I press the
    shutter button? The environment a moment before I press it isn't that
    different from as I press it.

    > How did we ever manage without automagic in the old days.

    Yeah, my instamatic worked so well.... ;-)
    Chris, Feb 17, 2006
  4. Chris

    ASAAR Guest

    On 17 Feb 2006 08:06:56 -0800, Chris wrote:

    >> Just for an experiment, set the camera to full manual. Take some shots.
    >> Pretty quick eh?

    > I'll try that. But why doesn't the camera make those adjustments
    > continuously so that it is ready to take a picture when I press the
    > shutter button? The environment a moment before I press it isn't that
    > different from as I press it.

    And the moment before the moment, and the moment before that? It
    adds up, and if all adjustments were continually updated, battery
    life would plummet. Some, such as continuous autofocus might use
    far more battery power than others, but each contributes. This
    would be especially wasteful of battery power if pictures aren't
    taken in fairly rapid succession. It's probably best to use the
    photographers worst kept secret - lock the settings by using a
    half-pressed shutter. When you're ready to take the shot, the
    additional delay after fully depressing the shutter will probably be
    too short to notice. This technique should be more than adequate
    for most people. For those that need better response from the
    camera with less effort on the part of the photographer, a DSLR will
    be needed.

    >> How did we ever manage without automagic in the old days.

    > Yeah, my instamatic worked so well.... ;-)

    Cameras that allow manual settings can be used to approximate
    instamatics. If they also allow manual prefocusing, use a tiny
    aperture and you've got yourself a modern, expensive instamatic. :)
    ASAAR, Feb 17, 2006
  5. On 17 Feb 2006 06:17:08 -0800, "Chris" <> wrote:

    >We have a QV-R51 which generally takes great pictures but takes FOREVER
    >to take them. I've made sure that the battery is full, turned off
    >red-eye reduction, and played with everything else I can think of but I
    >press the shutter button, count to 100 (OK, maybe only 3) and _then_
    >the camara finally takes a picture. Yet other messages in this group
    >suggest that Casio brags about their short shutter lag. Can anyone
    >here speak specifically from experience about how to make this %$&^%*&#
    >camera take a picture when I want it to? TIA.
    >

    >Chris

    Chris, I have the same camera with the same problem. I could be wrong
    but I think the( two double A batteries) aren't strong enought for the
    camera. I recently upgraded from this camera to a panasonic dmc FZ-5.
    I going to take the casio qv-r51 and toss it. It's a hunk of
    junk.....out
    Andy Dufresne, Feb 18, 2006