CASIO INTRODUCES NEW 10.1 MEGAPIXEL EXILIM ZOOM

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by erdega79@gmail.com, Apr 26, 2006.

  1. Guest

    http://www.casio.com/news/content/FF5BA6F3-2739-44F7-B8CF-128E71FF5D2A/

    DOVER, NJ, APRIL 26, 2006 - Casio, Inc. and its parent company, CASIO
    COMPUTER CO., LTD., have announced the release of the EX-Z1000, the
    latest exciting addition to CASIO's stylish series of EXILIM ZOOM
    digital cameras. The EX-Z1000 captures images of remarkable quality for
    its very compact size, and its new wide-format Super Bright LCD display
    gives users the power to enjoy instant, high-impact images of their
    shots.

    The new EXILIM ZOOM EX-Z1000 packs a powerful punch in a sleek, compact
    package. Small enough to be held in the palm of the hand, its 10.1
    megapixel digital camera still captures super high-resolution images
    that reproduce crystal-clear even in very large sizes-perfect for
    printing or on-screen viewing of those priceless, once-in-a-lifetime
    shots. And there's more. This new model is the first in the series to
    incorporate a large 2.8-inch, Wide and Bright LCD display. CASIO makes
    the most of this extra screen space to offer great new functions like
    simultaneous viewing of a wide angle and a telephoto shot, and a
    convenient right-side set of icon controls.

    High resolution 10.1 megapixel digital camera with large CCD
    The EX-Z1000 has an effective 10.1 million pixels, powered by a large
    1/1.8-inch format, high resolution CCD. Add the EXILIM Engine
    high-performance image processor and the camera delivers highly
    expressive images and reproduces a wide tonal range.

    Large 2.8-inch, Wide and Bright display

    The EX-Z1000's LCD display is a large, crystal-clear 2.8-inch monitor
    in an attractive wide format. This high-resolution, 230,400 pixel LCD
    displays images and data with outstanding clarity and fine detail. With
    a maximum brightness of 1200cd/m2, the EX-Z1000's Wide and Bright
    display makes viewing in bright outdoor light easier than ever before.

    Since the moment of its debut in 2002, the EXILIM series has been
    transforming the digital camera market. EXILIM cameras are slim and
    stylish, packed with superior functionality, and astonishingly easy to
    use. Users appreciate EXILIM's unique combination of compact size,
    intuitive controls, large displays, and long battery life. And the
    series continues to break new ground, with the recent introduction of
    functions like Anti Shake DSP, which reduces blurring due to unsteady
    hands or moving subjects, and the Super Bright display.

    "We are very excited to announce the addition of our EX-Z1000 to the
    EXILIM ZOOM series of compact, stylish and easy-to-use digital
    cameras", said Bill Heuer, Senior Vice President of Casio's Digital
    Imaging Division. "The high resolution and large, bright 2.8" LCD
    in the new EX-Z1000 offers consumers even more possibilities in
    capturing and sharing their memories, and Casio is proud to be able to
    offer such cutting edge technology", he continued.

    The EX-Z1000 will have a suggested retail price of $399.99 and will be
    available at retail in June.

    EXILIM is a registered trademark of CASIO COMPUTER CO., LTD. Any other
    company or product names are registered trademarks or trademarks of
    those companies.

    Casio, Inc., Dover, N.J., is the U.S. subsidiary of Casio Computer Co.,
    Ltd., Tokyo, Japan, one of the world's leading manufacturers of
    consumer electronics and business equipments solutions, established in
    1957. Casio Inc. markets calculators, keyboards, digital cameras,
    mobile presentation devices, disc title and label printers, watches,
    cash registers and other consumer electronic products. Casio has
    strived to realize its corporate creed of "creativity and
    contribution" through the introduction of innovative and imaginative
    products. For more information, visit www.casiousa.com

    * * *

    EXILIM ZOOM EX-Z1000 MAIN FEATURES

    Superior performance, amazing image quality, and functionality for
    beautiful photographs

    10.1 million effective pixels.
    A high dynamic range, 1/1.8-inch CCD, which delivers low-noise imaging.

    The ability to zoom between 4.3X and 17.1X*1 with no reduction in image
    quality.
    BEST SHOT function with high-sensitivity shooting mode, up to a maximum
    of ISO 3200.
    Anti Shake DSP, which is built into the EXILIM Engine image processor,
    reduces blurring due to unsteady hands or moving subjects.
    Rapid Flash function enables up to three shots per second, enabling
    high-speed flash photography.
    Fast power-on function, so the first shot can be taken just 1.3
    seconds*2 after switching on.
    Release time lag of only approximately 0.002 seconds,*3 allowing the
    shot to be captured practically instantaneously with the push of the
    shutter button.
    High-speed picture playback of approximately 0.1 second interval.
    Super Life Battery allows up to 360 shots*4 to be taken, measured by
    CIPA standards.
    *1 This applies with image size set anywhere from VGA to 5 megapixels.
    Zoom ratio can be enhanced by cropping an image.

    *2 Using internal memory, with built-in flash off.

    *3 With built-in flash off.

    *4 With LCD display set to standard brightness.

    Large, wide-format LCD display built for ease of viewing

    Large, 2.8-inch, wide-format LCD monitor lets users enjoy high-impact
    images of their shots.
    High-resolution, 230,400 pixel display presents clear, detailed images
    and data.
    Wide and Bright display (brightness: 1200cd/m2 *5) makes viewing in
    bright outdoor light easier than ever before.
    Display button can be used to change display formats with just one
    touch.
    Display utilizes a vertical stripe pixel array, ensuring that the menus
    are clear and easy to read.
    Right edge of the display shows operational icons, enabling easy
    operation and quick review of settings.
    Multi-image function can display 12 images on a single screen.
    *5 On the highest brightness setting, measured at the center of the
    screen.

    Photographic functions designed to take advantage of the camera's
    high resolution

    The revolutionary Zoom Continuous Shutter mode allows the user to
    compare a wide angle and a telephoto shot in the same display and to
    take both shots simultaneously with only one press of the shutter
    button.
    Revive Shot refreshes the faded colors of old photos, bringing them
    back to life in digital format.
    Quick Zoom feature enables instant switch to a preset zoom ratio with
    just one touch of a button.
    37 different types of BEST SHOT sample images. Users can choose one of
    these samples to make sure their photos come out just right.
    Movies can be taken in VGA size (640 x 480 pixels) at 25 frames per
    second (Motion JPEG).
    Other functions for intuitively easy operation

    Quick Shutter function allows for fast focusing, reducing focusing
    error.
    Auto Macro mode allows for automatic switching between auto focus mode
    and macro mode.
    9-Point Multi AF function clearly shows areas of auto focus when
    photographing subjects with multiple focus points.
    Direct On function allows users to press a single button to quickly
    start the camera in either shooting or playback mode.
    Multi-function cradle can be used to recharge the battery, connect to a
    PC to download images, and connect to audiovisual equipment. The cradle
    also functions as a photostand, allowing users to view an image
    slideshow.

    EXILIM ZOOM EX-Z1000 SPECIFICATIONS

    Effective Pixels 10.10 million
    Imaging Element 1/1.8-inch square pixel color CCD (total pixels: 10.37
    million)
    Image File Format Still images: JPEG (Exif Version 2.2), DCF standard,
    DPOF compliant
    Movies Motion JPEG, AVI format
    Audio WAV (monaural)
    Recording Media Built-in flash memory (image area: 8.0MB), SD Memory
    Card/ MultiMediaCard compatible
    Image Size (Pixels) Still images: 3648 x 2736, 3648 x 2432 (3:2), 3648
    x 2048 (16:9),
    2560 x 1920, 2048 x 1536, 1600 x 1200, 640 x 480
    Movies 640 x 480 (HQ), 640 x 480 (Normal), 320 x 240 (LP)

    Lens/Focal Distance: F2.8 to 5.4, f=7.9 to 23.7mm (equivalent to
    approximately 38 to 114mm on a 35mm film camera), 7 lenses in 5 groups,
    including aspherical lens
    Zoom: 3X optical zoom, 4X digital zoom (Image size: 3648 x 2736 pixels,
    12X in combination with optical zoom)
    Focusing Contrast Detectiont: Auto Focus8
    Focus Modes: Auto Focus, Macro Mode, Pan Focus (movie recording only),
    Infinity Mode, Manual Focus
    AF Area: Spot or Multi; with AF assist lamp
    Approximate Focus Range Auto Focus: 15.75" to 8, Macro: 2.36" to
    19.69", Infinity Mode: 8, Manual Focus: 2.36" to 8 *Range is
    affected by optical zoom
    Exposure Control: Metering: Multi-pattern, center weighted, spot by
    imaging element
    Exposure: Program AE
    Exposure Compensation: -2EV to +2EV (in 1/3EV steps)
    Shutter: CCD shutter, mechanical shutter
    Still images (Auto): 1/2 to 1/2000 second (at ISO 50), Still images
    (night scene): 4 to 1/2000 second (at ISO 50) *Shutter speed range may
    be different depending on the BEST SHOT scene or sensitivity setting
    Aperture: F2.8/F5.6,*3 auto switching
    *3 Brightness converted
    * Using optical zoom causes the aperture to change
    White Balance: Auto, fixed (6 modes), manual
    Movies: Auto
    *4 When using Anti Shake function, maximum is ISO 800. When using BEST
    SHOT "High Sensitivity" function, maximum is ISO 3200
    Recording Functions: Still images; still images with audio (maximum
    around 30 seconds); macro; self-timer; continuous shutter (normal
    speed, high speed, rapid flash, zoom continuous), BEST SHOT, movies
    with audio, voice recording
    Self-timer: 10 seconds, 2 seconds, Triple Self-timer
    Built-in Flash: Flash Modes: Auto, On, Off, Soft Flash, Red Eye
    Reduction
    Flash Range: Approx..33 to 11.81' (W), approx. 1.31' to 6.23' (T)

    Flash Continuous Shutter: approx. 1.97' to 6.89' (W), approx.
    1.31' to 3.61' (T)
    Monitor Screen: 2.8-inch TFT color LCD (14:9), 230,400 pixels (960 x
    240)
    Timekeeping Functions: Date and time: Recorded with image data;
    Auto Calendar: To 2049
    On-image time stamp function

    World Time: 162 cities in 32 time zones, City name, date, time, summer
    time
    Input/Output Terminals: USB cradle connector, USB2.0 (Full-Speed)
    compatible
    Power Requirements: Rechargeable lithium ion battery (NP-40) x 1

    Battery life: Approx. 360 still images (CIPA Standards)
    Continuous playback: approx. 13 hr. (still images)
    Continuous recording: approx. 3 hr. 15 min. (movie)
    Continuous recording: approx. 8 hr. (voice recording)
    Dimensions: 3.62" (W) x 2.30" (H) x .88" (D) (excluding
    projections, .78" at thinnest part)
    Weight: Approximately 4.9 oz (excluding battery and accessories)
    Bundled Accessories: Rechargeable lithium ion battery, USB cradle, USB
    cable, AV cable, Special AC adaptor, strap, CD-ROM

    Specifications are subject to change without notice.

    , Apr 26, 2006

  2. Chris Guest

    > Imaging Element 1/1.8-inch square pixel color CCD (total
    > pixels: 10.37 million)

    This many pixels on this size imager would indicate high noise and low
    ISO, but the announcement also talks about ISO 3200 and so forth. Do
    they really have technology that can do all this? Did they maybe
    discover a new principle of physics?

    Searching for high-quality rumors.

    Chris, Apr 26, 2006

  3. bmoag Guest

    Putting this many megapixels in a camera this size is merely a marketing
    tool. It also serves as information about just how cheap the cost of these
    sensors is to the camera manufacturer.
    I have the last Casio 7 megapixel wonder. It is a fun, usable shirtpocket
    camera. I like it and use it often.
    However because of limits in the optics (especially the optics), focusing
    and processings systems there is not a great deal of difference in ultimate
    image quality in cameras of this size once you get to 3-4 mps.
    I have run informal comparisons between the Casio and my still working first
    generation 3mp Nikon 990 and a 4mp Kodak. The results do not favor the Casio
    in terms of overall image quality. The Nikon has superior optics and even at
    3mps will often print the highest quality 5x7 images of the three cameras.
    In terms of overall image quality there is much less difference than you
    might expect between the 4mp Kodak and the 7mp Casio, although the latter
    has more sophisticated exposure and processing options.
    I use the Casio because it is teeny and actually fits in a pocket, not
    because it is a superior machine.
    In my experience the teeny camera class does not sustain print sizes beyond
    5x7 inches no matter how many mps are in the sensor because factors other
    than the sensor limit ultimate image quality.

    bmoag, Apr 26, 2006
  4. Guest

    , Apr 26, 2006
  5. Mark B. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Casio ex z1000 has an excellent picture quality as can be seen from its
    > samples gallery
    >
    > http://dc.casio.jp/product/exilim/ex_z1000/gallery.html

    Are any of these at anything higher than the lowest ISO? I d/l the night
    portrait, but the ISO doesn't appear to be in the EXIF unless it was somehow
    wiped out when downloaded.

    Mark

    Mark B., Apr 27, 2006
  6. Ron Hunter Guest

    Chris wrote:
    >> Imaging Element 1/1.8-inch square pixel color CCD (total
    >> pixels: 10.37 million)

    > This many pixels on this size imager would indicate high noise and low
    > ISO, but the announcement also talks about ISO 3200 and so forth. Do
    > they really have technology that can do all this? Did they maybe
    > discover a new principle of physics?
    >
    > Searching for high-quality rumors.

    Note the 'effective' 10.1 mp statement. Not sure exactly what that means.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 27, 2006
  7. Rich Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:34:12 GMT, "bmoag" <> wrote:

    >Putting this many megapixels in a camera this size is merely a marketing
    >tool. It also serves as information about just how cheap the cost of these
    >sensors is to the camera manufacturer.
    >I have the last Casio 7 megapixel wonder. It is a fun, usable shirtpocket
    >camera. I like it and use it often.
    >However because of limits in the optics (especially the optics), focusing
    >and processings systems there is not a great deal of difference in ultimate
    >image quality in cameras of this size once you get to 3-4 mps.
    >I have run informal comparisons between the Casio and my still working first
    >generation 3mp Nikon 990 and a 4mp Kodak

    Then buying one only encourages the stupid mfgs to put more of this
    stuff on the market.
    -Rich

    Rich, Apr 27, 2006
  8. Guest

    all of those samples were taken at ISO 80

    , Apr 27, 2006
  9. Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Casio ex z1000 has an excellent picture quality as can be seen from its
    > samples gallery
    >
    > http://dc.casio.jp/product/exilim/ex_z1000/gallery.html

    Not bad - corner to corner sharpness, lots of detail and low noise:
    http://dc.casio.jp/product/exilim/ex_z1000/images/gallery/CIMG6159.JPG

    Seems that there have been substantial advances in sensor technology
    recently.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Apr 27, 2006
  10. Guest

    , Apr 28, 2006
  11. Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > There is a first shot with ISO from 50,100,200,400,800 and 3200
    >
    > http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2006/04/28/3739.html

    It applies a lot of noise reduction, even at ISO 50, as is visible in
    this image:
    http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/parts/image_for_link/51402-3739-7-
    1.html

    Note the blurred edges between the buildings and the sky. The camera
    apparently searches the edges and flattens the areas of more or less
    homogeneous colour in between.

    Essentially the camera is usable at lowest ISO (50) and to a certain
    extent up to ISO 200. At ISO 3200 the images are very blurred. I'd guess
    that ISO800 could be improved a lot, if the camera had a RAW output and
    you could process the RAW with photoshop (apply a colour noise reduction
    filter)
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Apr 29, 2006