Casio Exilim Z4 observations

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jerry Jongerius, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. I purchased a Casio Exilim Z4, but returned it to the store within an
    hour. My observations:

    o Pictures of objects within a couple of feet: looked pretty good

    o Pictures of objects past a couple of feet: the center third of the
    image was clear; but the rest of the image got slightly fuzzy toward
    the edges

    o Pictures from the Z4 (in the clear center third of the image of
    objects past a couple of feet) looked no better than a semi-pro Kodak
    1.5mp digicam from 1999.

    o Color quality using the flash indoors: very poor

    My conclusion on the Casio Exilim Z4: A great concept, but the
    pictures looked very poor to me, when compared side by side with an
    old 1.5mp semi-pro digicam.

    Given the dramatically higher megapixel resolution of the Casio Z4,
    which resulted in pictures looking no better than an old 1.5mp
    semi-pro digicam, indicates to me that the optics in the lens system
    in the Casio Z4 has a long ways to go.

    Jerry Jongerius, Oct 14, 2003

  2. Your keywords, "semi-pro 1.5MP digicam" says a lot right there. A few years
    ago, many of the "new high res" cameras were actually 1.3MP. Only a very
    few (such as the Sony 770) were 1.5MP, and the few semi-pro models such as
    that Sony sold for upwards of $1,200.00. The Casio doesn't come close even
    by Casio as being labeled as a semi-pro camera. It's just a "take anywhere"
    pocket cam, that has today's current standard number of pixels making it
    4MP. Many of these pocket cams do have very slight blurring near the edges
    of the images, but if it was that bad on yours, it could have been a
    defective unit.

    Regardless, these pocket camera or mini cams are not meant to compete (image
    quality wise) with full sized cameras. You're paying for convenience, not
    image quality on these things. If the salesman really pushed this as being
    a great primary camera for you, then you need to discuss with him the
    difference between a serious digital camera, and a "lifestyle gadget".

    Greg

    DigitalCameraBasics, Oct 15, 2003