Casio Batteries

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jose Capco, Aug 14, 2007.

  1. Jose Capco

    Jose Capco Guest

    Dear NG,

    I thought of buying Casio Exilim Z75, but one thing thats making me
    hesitate are the batteries.. I have always the feeling that I
    shouldn't buy a camera with "company batteries".. because one day if
    they stopped producing the camera or the batteries, then I'll have
    problem finding a replacement of it. I don't know if this is something
    I have to worry about or not, so I'm going to ask question to those
    who own sony

    1. How long is the lifespan of the batteries these cameras (the
    compact ones) .. by lifespan, I meant the years it would take until
    one really needs to replace the batteries (not recharge, but
    replace.. all rechargeable batteries need to be replaced after several
    years)

    2. Having a compact camera without viewfinder, is it really
    troublesome?

    It is said that Z75 cannot be used as a webcam, but Im sure one can do
    some kind of hack to be able to do it. I don't think I'll bother with
    it, if I really want it badly I'll just buy a cheap webcam.

    Sincerely,
    Jose Capco
    Jose Capco, Aug 14, 2007

  2. Jose Capco

    Ed Chilada Guest

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:53:20 -0700, Jose Capco
    <> wrote:

    >Dear NG,
    >
    >I thought of buying Casio Exilim Z75, but one thing thats making me
    >hesitate are the batteries.. I have always the feeling that I
    >shouldn't buy a camera with "company batteries".. because one day if
    >they stopped producing the camera or the batteries, then I'll have
    >problem finding a replacement of it. I don't know if this is something
    >I have to worry about or not, so I'm going to ask question to those
    >who own sony
    >
    >1. How long is the lifespan of the batteries these cameras (the
    >compact ones) .. by lifespan, I meant the years it would take until
    >one really needs to replace the batteries (not recharge, but
    >replace.. all rechargeable batteries need to be replaced after several
    >years)

    I wouldn't touch a camera that used standard batteries. Bespoke
    batteries are usually designed to handle the specific charge/discharge
    characteristics of the device. Standard AA batteries are not. I've
    know of people who have reasonably old Casio cameras and they could
    still buy batteries if they needed to - but they don't.
    Ed Chilada, Aug 15, 2007

  3. Jose Capco

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:53:20 -0700, Jose Capco wrote:

    > 1. How long is the lifespan of the batteries these cameras (the
    > compact ones) .. by lifespan, I meant the years it would take until
    > one really needs to replace the batteries (not recharge, but
    > replace.. all rechargeable batteries need to be replaced after several
    > years)

    That's hard to say since it depends in part on how heavily the
    batteries are used. With very heavy use, many Li-Ion batteries have
    needed to be replaced before they were a year old. Most small P&S
    cameras won't get very heavy use so that probably isn't a typical
    problem. Unlike other rechargeable battery types, Li-Ion batteries
    deteriorate at a moderately high rate even if they aren't used, so
    manufacturers generally say that the batteries should last up to
    three years. This doesn't mean that after two to three years the
    batteries *must* be replaced. If when new, the Li-Ion battery was
    good for 300 shots per charge, after three years it might have
    deteriorated to the point that it's only good for 80 shots per
    charge. If you don't take that many shots per day, you might not
    even realize that the battery has aged, and could be able to use it
    for another year or more.

    On the other hand, some rechargeable lithium batteries seem to
    deteriorate very rapidly past a certain point. The NiMH batteries
    in my old Nokia cell phones lasted many years and were still going
    strong when I changed carriers and had to switch to newer Nokias
    that used Li-Ion batteries. Those batteries did very well, with
    standby times of 7 days, declining gradually to 6 days after they
    had been used for 1 1/2 years. Over the next several weeks the
    standby times plummeted to well under one day. Even though when I
    bought the phone it was a new model, by the time I needed a new
    battery they were no longer available from the phone
    company/carrier, only directly from Nokia for more than twice what I
    paid for the entire phone package, including charger and battery, so
    I switched to a newer model. With luck the new battery will last
    longer. If it reaches two years I'll be pleased. If it lasts three
    years I'll be very happy and very surprised. :)

    > 2. Having a compact camera without viewfinder, is it really
    > troublesome?

    If you don't really know, then you've gotten past the first
    hurdle, since many photographers are so used to using a viewfinder
    that they won't consider cameras that have none. There are two
    potential problems you might run into using such a camera. First,
    many photographers don't really hold them properly, so the lack of
    good support causes more blur in shots than those produced by
    cameras having a viewfinder. If you never create prints larger than
    4"x6", you may or may not notice the additional blur. It is
    possible to hold a viewfinderless camera more stably, but as with
    target shooting, if you use a good technique (such as keeping your
    elbows locked against your torso to keep from extending your arms),
    have good breath control, and practice, you should be able to take
    good, sharp pictures.

    The only other problem I can think of is that in some shooting
    conditions, sunlight might cause too much glare to be able to see
    the LCD screen well enough to frame the image properly. This is
    more of a problem with some cameras than with others. There are
    also inexpensive hoods for the LCDs that can help reduce the glare.
    ASAAR, Aug 15, 2007