    Are these case fans really necessary? I wouldn't mind reducing the fan
    noise a bit.

    Thanks
    Woolfie, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Woolfie

    Rider Guest

    "Woolfie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My case has two 80mm case fans (in addition to the PS fan and the CPU
    > cooler). I'm running an Athlon 1100 CPU.
    >
    > Are these case fans really necessary? I wouldn't mind reducing the fan
    > noise a bit.
    >
    > Thanks

    On an Athlon 1100??? I wouldnt think so. You'd be better off getting a more
    efficient CPU cooler and removong those two case fans.

    Rider
    Rider, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Woolfie

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Rider" wrote
    > > Are these case fans really necessary? I wouldn't mind reducing the fan
    > > noise a bit.

    > On an Athlon 1100??? I wouldnt think so. You'd be better off getting a

    more
    > efficient CPU cooler and removong those two case fans.

    All in all it depends...
    What sort of case flow do you have? good bad otherwise?

    What temp is the CPU usually(compared to ambient)?

    Is your PSU a dual fan one?

    Basically, turn one off, and see what happens to CPU temp and all round
    system temp, if it isnt effected too badly, turn off the otherone, and
    monitor it.

    If your not sure at all, leave them on, a loud PC is better than a dead one.
    T.N.O., Oct 9, 2003
  4. On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 16:17:10 +1300, Woolfie wrote:

    > My case has two 80mm case fans (in addition to the PS fan and the CPU
    > cooler). I'm running an Athlon 1100 CPU.
    >
    > Are these case fans really necessary? I wouldn't mind reducing the fan
    > noise a bit.

    probably not, but if you rewire them to 5V you'll find they're nearly
    inaudible.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Woolfie

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" wrote
    > probably not, but if you rewire them to 5V you'll find they're nearly
    > inaudible.

    If they don't spin up at 5v, try 7v.
    T.N.O., Oct 9, 2003
  6. Woolfie

    Woolfie Guest

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:43:09 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >"Rider" wrote
    >> > Are these case fans really necessary? I wouldn't mind reducing the fan
    >> > noise a bit.

    >> On an Athlon 1100??? I wouldnt think so. You'd be better off getting a

    >more
    >> efficient CPU cooler and removong those two case fans.

    >All in all it depends...
    >What sort of case flow do you have? good bad otherwise?
    >
    >What temp is the CPU usually(compared to ambient)?
    >
    >Is your PSU a dual fan one?
    >
    >Basically, turn one off, and see what happens to CPU temp and all round
    >system temp, if it isnt effected too badly, turn off the otherone, and
    >monitor it.
    >
    >If your not sure at all, leave them on, a loud PC is better than a dead one.

    Thanks for the feedback. The BIOS is reporting the CPU temp as
    63°C/145°F and the System temp as 29°C/84°F.

    How do these temps rate and how much would they increase if I
    disconnect the two case fans? Thanks.
    Woolfie, Oct 9, 2003
  7. Woolfie

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Woolfie" wrote
    > Thanks for the feedback. The BIOS is reporting the CPU temp as
    > 63°C/145°F and the System temp as 29°C/84°F.

    All depends on the temp of the room as well... they arent too bad as far as
    temps go, but Bios can be misleading, as the machine has generally been
    doing nothing for a while before you see those temps.

    Try a program like motherboard monitor, google will have the link :) this
    will tell you what the temp in Windows is(assuming your using windows)

    > How do these temps rate and how much would they increase if I
    > disconnect the two case fans? Thanks.

    These temps are pretty much average, not too high, mine are lower, but Im in
    dunedin, so with the colder climate, it helps.

    Those CPU's are from memory rated to ~90 degrees, but ideally you want to
    keep them as low as possible.
    Turn one of the fans off, and see what the temp rises(if at all) to, make
    sure that the room is about the same temp as when you measured it last time.
    T.N.O., Oct 9, 2003
  8. Thus spake Woolfie:
    > Thanks for the feedback. The BIOS is reporting the CPU temp as
    > 63°C/145°F and the System temp as 29°C/84°F.

    Those sound quite high to me, especially considering there are already 2
    case fans. My CPU works well under that and I'm running very minimal
    cooling on a Athlon 1G

    If that is idle temp the full-out temp could be almost 70 deg and if
    there is any BIOS error that's very close to the 80 deg limit of some
    CPUs.

    Are you overclocking? What kind of CPU cooler you got?

    > How do these temps rate and how much would they increase if I
    > disconnect the two case fans? Thanks.

    I would not decrease cooling with those temps. Then again, if the fans
    aren't set up well they might not be doing much.

    Maybe get a better CPU cooler, revise the case layout and you should be
    able to remove at least one fan.

    Example (semi-random)

    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 10, 2003
  9. Woolfie

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Aaron Lawrence" wrote
    > I would not decrease cooling with those temps. Then again, if the fans
    > aren't set up well they might not be doing much.

    I actually found a case a while ago where disabling two of the case fans
    made the cooling beeter, there was no flow to the air movement, and killing
    those fans made a better flow for the air to follow.
    T.N.O., Oct 11, 2003
  10. On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:07:59 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > I actually found a case a while ago where disabling two of the case fans
    > made the cooling beeter, there was no flow to the air movement, and killing
    > those fans made a better flow for the air to follow.

    Making ducting inaisde the machine can help a lot too. Most cases have no
    concept of airflow design...

    And most case modders don't either - a case can be quite efficiently
    cooled with one fan if the flow is right

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    2: Fraud
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 11, 2003
  11. Woolfie

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" wrote
    > Making ducting inaisde the machine can help a lot too. Most cases have no
    > concept of airflow design...
    > And most case modders don't either - a case can be quite efficiently
    > cooled with one fan if the flow is right

    this is my next project I think... cant afford water cooling at the moment.
    T.N.O., Oct 12, 2003
  12. Woolfie

    T.N.O. Guest

    "bt" wrote
    > >this is my next project I think... cant afford water cooling at the

    moment.

    > It's actually pretty simple to make yourself.

    I know.

    > Hardest part is the copper block for the cpu, but they sell them
    > seperately.

    I know.

    > The rest comes from the wreckers and your local pet shop (fish tank
    > pump).

    I have the problem of paying off a Ring, a Car, and finding cash for a
    wedding as well... computer upgrades have been to be put aside for a
    while(from what I figure, ~4 years)
    T.N.O., Oct 12, 2003
  13. Woolfie

    Jerry Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:14:47 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >"bt" wrote
    >> >this is my next project I think... cant afford water cooling at the

    >moment.
    >
    >> It's actually pretty simple to make yourself.

    >I know.
    >
    >> Hardest part is the copper block for the cpu, but they sell them
    >> seperately.

    >I know.
    >
    >> The rest comes from the wreckers and your local pet shop (fish tank
    >> pump).

    >I have the problem of paying off a Ring, a Car, and finding cash for a
    >wedding as well... computer upgrades have been to be put aside for a
    >while(from what I figure, ~4 years)

    Take my advice, put off the wedding, upgrade the computer :)

    Jerry
    Jerry, Oct 12, 2003
  14. Woolfie

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Jerry" wrote
    > Take my advice, put off the wedding, upgrade the computer :)

    Don't know how this comment will go down in this group... but, as hard as it
    may be to believe, the wife to be brings more joy than the computer
    T.N.O., Oct 12, 2003
  15. Woolfie

    Jerry Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:39:58 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >"Jerry" wrote
    >> Take my advice, put off the wedding, upgrade the computer :)

    >Don't know how this comment will go down in this group... but, as hard as it
    >may be to believe, the wife to be brings more joy than the computer

    I didn't really expect you to take my advice, good luck to you.

    Jerry
    Jerry, Oct 12, 2003
  16. Woolfie

    Bret Guest

    wrote:

    >My case has two 80mm case fans (in addition to the PS fan and the CPU
    >cooler). I'm running an Athlon 1100 CPU.
    >
    >Are these case fans really necessary? I wouldn't mind reducing the fan
    >noise a bit.
    >
    >Thanks

    Have a look here for an idea.
    http://motherboards.org/articlesd/hardware-reviews/1271_2.html
    Bret, Oct 12, 2003
  17. Woolfie

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > "Jerry" wrote
    > > Take my advice, put off the wedding, upgrade the computer :)

    > Don't know how this comment will go down in this group... but, as hard as it
    > may be to believe, the wife to be brings more joy than the computer

    OMG! a normal person!
    Mainlander, Oct 12, 2003
  18. Woolfie

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:39:58 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >"Jerry" wrote
    >> Take my advice, put off the wedding, upgrade the computer :)

    >Don't know how this comment will go down in this group... but, as hard as it
    >may be to believe, the wife to be brings more joy than the computer

    And how is Karyn Dave?
    Did you ever find those laptop parts?
    Bret, Oct 12, 2003
  19. Woolfie

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Mainlander" wrote
    > > Don't know how this comment will go down in this group... but, as hard

    as it
    > > may be to believe, the wife to be brings more joy than the computer

    > OMG! a normal person!

    normal, no, but Im not as strange as I come across online :)

    heh, strangly enough, my family were discussing all the males in our family
    belonging to my generation, and I am the only 'normal' one... I was quite
    frightened.
    T.N.O., Oct 12, 2003
  20. Woolfie

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Bret" wrote
    > And how is Karyn Dave?

    Karyn is great... we are house shopping at the moment, rent has gone up, and
    it seems that we make enough to buy according to the bank.

    > Did you ever find those laptop parts?

    ummm no, but I do still have a room of crap to sort through :)
    T.N.O., Oct 12, 2003