    Advice on choosing the correct one appreciated.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Sep 28, 2006

  2. Kenny

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-28, Kenny <> wrote:
    > Current fan sounds like a train coming in to the station, time to replace
    > it.
    > Looking at these:
    > http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...nd=0&criterion=CASE FAN&AtimeStamp=3336881892

    Allow me to introduce you to free services for making short links out of
    long ones, so that long ones getting 'broken in transit' doesn't stop
    people from visiting the link:

    <http://makeashorterlink.com/index.php>
    <http://qurl.net/>
    <http://shorterlink.com/>

    > but not sure about sizes and connections.
    > Current fan is 80mmx80mm, fixing holes between centres 70mm horizontally and
    > 100 mm diagonally.
    > Also it is powered via Molex connector whereas most of those fans show a 3
    > or 4 pin connector and some have a 3/4 pin adapter.
    > My m/b has a SYSFAN header, is this for a case fan?
    > Advice on choosing the correct one appreciated.

    Maplin <http://www.maplin.co.uk/> have a wide range of case fans, adaptors,
    and other such things - and are sometimes cheaper than PC World too. I
    have bought case fans from them in the past that have the sort of power
    connector I think you mean - the same sort as is used to deliver power to
    disc drives, directly from the main 'power supply'.

    If you can visit a suitable shop with the item you want to replace,
    you can probably find a good match or even an identical replacement.

    The motherboard 'sysfan' connector probably allows for some degree of
    automatic or manual control over the speed of the case fan, depending on
    feedback from a temperature sensor. There may be settings in the BIOS to
    do with that.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 28, 2006

  3. Kenny

    Mr User Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > Current fan sounds like a train coming in to the station, time to replace
    > it.
    > Looking at these:
    > http://www.pcworld.co.uk <snip>
    > but not sure about sizes and connections.
    > Current fan is 80mmx80mm, fixing holes between centres 70mm horizontally and
    > 100 mm diagonally.
    > Also it is powered via Molex connector whereas most of those fans show a 3
    > or 4 pin connector and some have a 3/4 pin adapter.
    > My m/b has a SYSFAN header, is this for a case fan?
    > Advice on choosing the correct one appreciated.

    Get a paint brush/cloth and clean them up then use some WD40 by applying
    to the central bush (You may need to remove the centre plastic disk.

    Give 'em a good old dose of WD40 then dry up any external areas and
    leave to dry externally for a short time. Work very well.

    If you want to monitor you're fans then certainly get the 3 pin type but
    check your MoBo to see how many you have. Others can be connected to the
    molex connectors. SysFan is normally CaseFan but hey it's only a name.

    Mr User, Sep 28, 2006
  4. Kenny

    me Guest

    "Mr User" <> wrote in message
    > Kenny wrote:
    >> Current fan sounds like a train coming in to the station, time to replace
    >> it.
    >> Looking at these:
    >> http://www.pcworld.co.uk <snip>
    >> but not sure about sizes and connections.
    >> Current fan is 80mmx80mm, fixing holes between centres 70mm horizontally
    >> and 100 mm diagonally.
    >> Also it is powered via Molex connector whereas most of those fans show a
    >> 3 or 4 pin connector and some have a 3/4 pin adapter.
    >> My m/b has a SYSFAN header, is this for a case fan?
    >> Advice on choosing the correct one appreciated.

    > Get a paint brush/cloth and clean them up then use some WD40 by applying
    > to the central bush (You may need to remove the centre plastic disk.
    >
    > Give 'em a good old dose of WD40 then dry up any external areas and leave
    > to dry externally for a short time. Work very well.

    " It should not be used to free-up fans inside a computer because of its
    tendency to dry and attract dust; although temporarily solving the problem,
    WD-40 will in fact make it worse over time. "

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD40

    me, Sep 29, 2006
  5. Kenny

    Mr User Guest

    me wrote:
    > "Mr User" <> wrote in message
    >> Kenny wrote:
    >>> Current fan sounds like a train coming in to the station, time to replace
    >>> it.
    >>> Looking at these:
    >>> http://www.pcworld.co.uk <snip>

    >> Get a paint brush/cloth and clean them up then use some WD40 by applying
    >> to the central bush (You may need to remove the centre plastic disk.
    >>
    >> Give 'em a good old dose of WD40 then dry up any external areas and leave
    >> to dry externally for a short time. Work very well.
    >>

    > " It should not be used to free-up fans inside a computer because of its
    > tendency to dry and attract dust; although temporarily solving the problem,
    > WD-40 will in fact make it worse over time. "
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD40

    Interesting! Sounds about right but certainly I've yet to find WD40 to
    cause any issues but then I only used it for the first time a few months
    ago on old and noisey fans rather than buy new ones .. so nothing lost
    in real terms.

    Mr User, Sep 29, 2006
  6. Mr User wrote:

    > me wrote:
    >
    >> "Mr User" <> wrote in message

    >>> Get a paint brush/cloth and clean them up then use some WD40 by
    >>> applying to the central bush (You may need to remove the centre
    >>> plastic disk.
    >>>
    >>> Give 'em a good old dose of WD40 then dry up any external areas and
    >>> leave to dry externally for a short time. Work very well.
    >>>

    >> " It should not be used to free-up fans inside a computer because of
    >> its tendency to dry and attract dust; although temporarily solving the
    >> problem, WD-40 will in fact make it worse over time. "
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD40

    > Interesting! Sounds about right but certainly I've yet to find WD40 to
    > cause any issues but then I only used it for the first time a few months
    > ago on old and noisey fans rather than buy new ones .. so nothing lost
    > in real terms.

    One or 2 drops of 3-in-1 oil (or sewing machine oil) would be far better.
    Make sure to wipe away any residual oil so as not to allow dust to
    settle an build up.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 29, 2006