    replacement fan.i measured from the outside, where the fan screws are and
    its 3 5/8 roughly from screw to screw.would this be a 92mm fan?
    TIA

    doS, Dec 28, 2008

  2. doS

    doS Guest

    that was 3 1/4 from screw.not 3 5/8

    doS, Dec 28, 2008

  3. doS

    doS Guest

    thanks Mike, this one is an led type and it's making a noise, with the led
    pulsating from dim to bright, seems like its getting ready to go out...

    doS, Dec 28, 2008
  4. doS

    Buffalo Guest

    doS wrote:
    > thanks Mike, this one is an led type and it's making a noise, with
    > the led pulsating from dim to bright, seems like its getting ready to
    > go out...

    For a temp fix, clean the blades and peel back the little sticker on the
    shaft and put in a drop of oil and replace the sticker.

    Buffalo, Dec 28, 2008
  5. doS

    chuckcar Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in

    > i have fan going bad in a pc.i dont want to pull it until i get the
    > replacement fan.i measured from the outside, where the fan screws are
    > and its 3 5/8 roughly from screw to screw.would this be a 92mm fan?
    > TIA

    It sounds like a standard 3" muffin fan (don't ask where that name comes
    from, I have *no* idea, but there must be a story behind it). 1" thick?
    That would be it.

    You mean *in* the power supply? You can get a replacement at any decent
    electronics store. Maybe not Radio scrap, but the *real* electronic stores
    - you know the ones where you have to buy 10 chips because they're 75
    cents each. Just bring it with you. You're sure it doesn't just need
    cleaning?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 28, 2008
  6. doS

    doS Guest

    noit isnt in the psu,its a case fan

    doS, Dec 28, 2008
  7. doS

    Peeassha Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    >i have fan going bad in a pc.i dont want to pull it until i get the
    >replacement fan.i measured from the outside, where the fan screws are and
    >its 3 5/8 roughly from screw to screw.would this be a 92mm fan?
    > TIA

    Ah ya winkie, all you need is one maybe two drops of duralube oil and it'll
    free the seized snatch up for the next 100 years.

    Peeassha, Dec 28, 2008
  8. doS

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <gj8bbp$75i$>, Buffalo
    <> writes

    >doS wrote:
    >> thanks Mike, this one is an led type and it's making a noise, with
    >> the led pulsating from dim to bright, seems like its getting ready to
    >> go out...
    >>

    >For a temp fix, clean the blades and peel back the little sticker on the
    >shaft and put in a drop of oil and replace the sticker.

    My PSU fan used to be a bit noisy at times. One day, it seemed unusually
    quiet. I found that it had seized totally. It was solid. You just
    couldn't turn it at all.

    I replaced it, but the replacement was not as powerful as I had
    expected. Rather than wait until I had got another replacement, I had
    another look at the original. I carefully peeled of the sticker, which
    revealed the bearing and the end of the shaft/spindle. After several
    applications of a drop of WD40 (which is all I had handy), and touching
    the end of the shaft with the fine tip of a hot soldering iron, I
    eventually got a tiny bit of movement. I persevered, and soon had the
    fan rotating freely.

    I gave it a few more applications of small drops of WD40 (although, at
    this stage, I would have preferred light oil), then cleaned off all
    traces of the surplus WD40 from end of the shaft. Finally, I glued the
    sticker back in place.

    It's about 18 months since I did this. The fan is still running fine.
    --
    Ian

    Ian Jackson, Dec 29, 2008
  9. doS

    doS Guest

    thw weird thing is the led pulsates as does the sound, could that be from
    the fan trying to seize?

    doS, Dec 29, 2008
  10. doS

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <x0c6l.22541$>, doS
    <> writes
    >thw weird thing is the led pulsates as does the sound, could that be
    >from the fan trying to seize?
    >
    >"Ian Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >> In message <gj8bbp$75i$>, Buffalo
    >><> writes

    >>>For a temp fix, clean the blades and peel back the little sticker on the
    >>>shaft and put in a drop of oil and replace the sticker.
    >>>

    >> My PSU fan used to be a bit noisy at times. One day, it seemed
    >>unusually quiet. I found that it had seized totally. It was solid.
    >>You just couldn't turn it at all.
    >>
    >> I replaced it, but the replacement was not as powerful as I had
    >>expected. Rather than wait until I had got another replacement, I had
    >>another look at the original. I carefully peeled of the sticker,
    >>which revealed the bearing and the end of the shaft/spindle. After
    >>several applications of a drop of WD40 (which is all I had handy),
    >>and touching the end of the shaft with the fine tip of a hot
    >>soldering iron, I eventually got a tiny bit of movement. I
    >>persevered, and soon had the fan rotating freely.
    >>
    >> I gave it a few more applications of small drops of WD40 (although,
    >>at this stage, I would have preferred light oil), then cleaned off all
    >>traces of the surplus WD40 from end of the shaft. Finally, I glued the
    >>sticker back in place.
    >>
    >> It's about 18 months since I did this. The fan is still running fine.
    >> -- Ian

    >The weird thing is the led pulsates as does the sound, could that be
    >from the fan trying to seize?

    It certainly could!
    --
    Ian