Carrying into the field

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eigenvector, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Eigenvector

    Eigenvector Guest

    For all the hikers in this group, what do you guys typically carry with you
    when going on a short day hike (say 10 miles) or maybe a 2 day backpack? I
    was thinking about this when I took a short hike up the Pac Crest Trail.
    The whole time I had my camera belted to my hip and I was having a heck of a
    time keeping my pants from falling down - had to go out and buy suspenders
    just to support my camera bag. Granted the belt I was using was too big for
    me and had stretched out from sweat and water but still how much camera gear
    would you take with you on a day or short backpacking trip?

    Here's what I carry (aside from my normal hiking gear like food, water,
    clothing, and ice ax). Basically its my Lowepro bag, fairly large one to
    fit my C720, a fresh(er) set of batteries, a semi-clean rag , and a backup
    memory stick. Its a nice setup I think, aside from the suspenders of
    course, cause I only have to flip open the top of my bag and pull out my
    camera. It has a tendency to snag on branches or get caught on rocks but
    the bag is pretty sturdy really and I was amazed at just how waterproof it
    is - it managed to keep my camera dry after hiking 15 miles in the pouring
    rain.

    Still, I've been hiking for about 20 years now and I've only seen 2 people
    lugging around tripods or extra lenses for their cameras. Do people
    actually carry that stuff with them on hikes or is that too much effort?

    Eigenvector, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Eigenvector

    Robertwgross Guest

    Eigenvector wrote:
    >For all the hikers in this group, what do you guys typically carry with you
    >when going on a short day hike (say 10 miles) or maybe a 2 day backpack?

    I did a 2-day backpack in Yosemite to the area around El Capitan. One Canon
    D60 digital camera, one Canon film camera, one full-size tripod, 2GB in CF
    cards, eight rolls of film, four lenses in all, plus a few filters and cables.
    Everything went into the backpack except for one camera in a holster over my
    neck and shoulder. I took no big flash.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Aug 5, 2003

  3. Eigenvector

    Eigenvector Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Eigenvector wrote:
    > > For all the hikers in this group, what do you guys typically carry
    > > with you when going on a short day hike (say 10 miles) or maybe a 2
    > > day backpack? I was thinking about this when I took a short hike up
    > > the Pac Crest Trail. The whole time I had my camera belted to my hip
    > > and I was having a heck of a time keeping my pants from falling down
    > > - had to go out and buy suspenders just to support my camera bag.
    > > Granted the belt I was using was too big for me and had stretched out
    > > from sweat and water but still how much camera gear would you take
    > > with you on a day or short backpacking trip?
    > >
    > > Here's what I carry (aside from my normal hiking gear like food,
    > > water, clothing, and ice ax). Basically its my Lowepro bag, fairly
    > > large one to fit my C720, a fresh(er) set of batteries, a semi-clean
    > > rag , and a backup memory stick. Its a nice setup I think, aside
    > > from the suspenders of course, cause I only have to flip open the top
    > > of my bag and pull out my camera. It has a tendency to snag on
    > > branches or get caught on rocks but the bag is pretty sturdy really
    > > and I was amazed at just how waterproof it is - it managed to keep my
    > > camera dry after hiking 15 miles in the pouring rain.
    > >
    > > Still, I've been hiking for about 20 years now and I've only seen 2
    > > people lugging around tripods or extra lenses for their cameras. Do
    > > people actually carry that stuff with them on hikes or is that too
    > > much effort?

    > Eigenvector:
    >
    > When hiking and backcountry skiing with my Nikon Coolpix 3100, I bring the
    > following:
    >
    > 1) Lowepro case (DRes 10AW)
    > 2) Extra set on NiMH batteries
    > 3) Extra memory card
    > 4) Lens cleaning supplies
    >
    > Steve

    I'm using a Lowepro TL Z Mini, it fits the camera alright, which is good
    since the size of the C720 with the lens extended approaches the size of a
    good 35mm camera. But I do notice that the camera does flop around a
    little, doesn't seem to hurt it sitting in the bag - lens pointed up. I
    can't seem to find a bag that is a bit slimmer, but allows me to position
    the camera in an easy to grab location. So far the TL Z Mini is the only
    one I like.

    Eigenvector, Aug 5, 2003
  4. Eigenvector

    Daniel M Guest

    "Eigenvector" <> wrote in message
    > For all the hikers in this group, what do you guys typically carry with

    you
    > when going on a short day hike (say 10 miles) or maybe a 2 day backpack?

    > was thinking about this when I took a short hike up the Pac Crest Trail.
    > The whole time I had my camera belted to my hip and I was having a heck of

    > time keeping my pants from falling down - had to go out and buy suspenders
    > just to support my camera bag. Granted the belt I was using was too big

    for
    > me and had stretched out from sweat and water but still how much camera

    gear
    > would you take with you on a day or short backpacking trip?
    >
    > Here's what I carry (aside from my normal hiking gear like food, water,
    > clothing, and ice ax). Basically its my Lowepro bag, fairly large one to
    > fit my C720, a fresh(er) set of batteries, a semi-clean rag , and a backup
    > memory stick. Its a nice setup I think, aside from the suspenders of
    > course, cause I only have to flip open the top of my bag and pull out my
    > camera. It has a tendency to snag on branches or get caught on rocks but
    > the bag is pretty sturdy really and I was amazed at just how waterproof it
    > is - it managed to keep my camera dry after hiking 15 miles in the pouring
    > rain.
    >
    > Still, I've been hiking for about 20 years now and I've only seen 2 people
    > lugging around tripods or extra lenses for their cameras. Do people
    > actually carry that stuff with them on hikes or is that too much effort?

    When I go walking all my stuff goes in a backpack with my camera on my hip
    like you say.
    In my backpack I carry spare batterys, spare CF card, bottle of water, and
    yes, the tripod lol, dont notice the tripod too much when its on your back,
    and with shaky hands like mine, sometimes its a godsend.
    Have also been considering adding some kind of bandage as theres alot of
    snakes where I go walking, perhaps i should also be carrying a stick of some
    kind

    Daniel M, Aug 7, 2003
  5. Eigenvector

    Eigenvector Guest

    "Daniel M" <> wrote in message

    > "Eigenvector" <> wrote in message
    > > For all the hikers in this group, what do you guys typically carry with

    > you
    > > when going on a short day hike (say 10 miles) or maybe a 2 day backpack?

    > > was thinking about this when I took a short hike up the Pac Crest Trail.
    > > The whole time I had my camera belted to my hip and I was having a heck

    of
    > > time keeping my pants from falling down - had to go out and buy

    suspenders
    > > just to support my camera bag. Granted the belt I was using was too big

    > for
    > > me and had stretched out from sweat and water but still how much camera

    > gear
    > > would you take with you on a day or short backpacking trip?
    > >
    > > Here's what I carry (aside from my normal hiking gear like food, water,
    > > clothing, and ice ax). Basically its my Lowepro bag, fairly large one

    > > fit my C720, a fresh(er) set of batteries, a semi-clean rag , and a

    backup
    > > memory stick. Its a nice setup I think, aside from the suspenders of
    > > course, cause I only have to flip open the top of my bag and pull out my
    > > camera. It has a tendency to snag on branches or get caught on rocks

    but
    > > the bag is pretty sturdy really and I was amazed at just how waterproof

    it
    > > is - it managed to keep my camera dry after hiking 15 miles in the

    pouring
    > > rain.
    > >
    > > Still, I've been hiking for about 20 years now and I've only seen 2

    people
    > > lugging around tripods or extra lenses for their cameras. Do people
    > > actually carry that stuff with them on hikes or is that too much effort?
    > >

    > When I go walking all my stuff goes in a backpack with my camera on my hip
    > like you say.
    > In my backpack I carry spare batterys, spare CF card, bottle of water, and
    > yes, the tripod lol, dont notice the tripod too much when its on your

    back,
    > and with shaky hands like mine, sometimes its a godsend.
    > Have also been considering adding some kind of bandage as theres alot of
    > snakes where I go walking, perhaps i should also be carrying a stick of

    some
    > kind

    My hickory walking stick has been a tremendous help on some of the lowland
    hikes that I've done. It takes pressure off your ankles and knees when the
    distance gets long and really seems to improve my distance performance. On
    rocky and/or steep terrain is just seems to get in the way and at least for
    me is more of a hinderance than a help. I shove it in next to the ice ax
    when climbing or decending steep terrain.

    Eigenvector, Aug 7, 2003