carrying a HDD with XP to different machines

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by burt_piel@yahoo.com, Jul 25, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I would like to be able to take a HDD from one machine to another and
    boot the HDD's installed OS. I've been able to do this with Win98SE
    for years and is a major reason I've stuck with the old OS.

    There's nothing in 98 that prevents doing this. What happens is that
    it installs all the new hardware it finds using the win 98 cab files
    and asking for drivers it can't find. Then it will boot normally in
    all the machines it was installed on.

    XP won't allow this. It balks at the outset.

    I have an XP SP2 CD from a university that does not contain require
    activation. The issue I bring up here has NOTHING to do with MS's
    program that inspects the hardware and compares it to a hash of some
    sort and insists that there be only one product key on each machine.
    The XP I have installed and the CD I have never says a word about
    needing to go to MS and get permission to exist or any of that.

    This is different. I know there is a way to delete certain files or
    registry entries that will allow the install to proceed like it does
    in win 9.x. I don't unfortunately know how to do it.

    Can anyone help?
    , Jul 25, 2007

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    > I would like to be able to take a HDD from one machine to another and
    >boot the HDD's installed OS. I've been able to do this with Win98SE
    >for years and is a major reason I've stuck with the old OS.
    >
    >There's nothing in 98 that prevents doing this. What happens is that
    >it installs all the new hardware it finds using the win 98 cab files
    >and asking for drivers it can't find. Then it will boot normally in
    >all the machines it was installed on.

    I've transferred a WIN98 drive to so many different computers, it has
    to be confused by now - but it works great.

    >XP won't allow this. It balks at the outset.

    Yep

    >I have an XP SP2 CD from a university that does not contain require
    >activation. The issue I bring up here has NOTHING to do with MS's
    >program that inspects the hardware and compares it to a hash of some
    >sort and insists that there be only one product key on each machine.
    >The XP I have installed and the CD I have never says a word about
    >needing to go to MS and get permission to exist or any of that.
    >
    >This is different. I know there is a way to delete certain files or
    >registry entries that will allow the install to proceed like it does
    >in win 9.x. I don't unfortunately know how to do it.
    >
    >Can anyone help?

    I've never used the feature so google what you need but:
    Right click "my computer", Properties, Hardware, hardware profiles; is
    where this would be done - you will then be given a boot screen to
    select which computer (profile) to boot from.

    --
    What's worse, accidentally inhaling a condom during fellatio,
    or not doing anything about it for six months?

  3. John Holmes Guest

    "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I would like to be able to take a HDD from one machine to another and
    > boot the HDD's installed OS. I've been able to do this with Win98SE
    > for years and is a major reason I've stuck with the old OS.
    >
    > There's nothing in 98 that prevents doing this. What happens is that
    > it installs all the new hardware it finds using the win 98 cab files
    > and asking for drivers it can't find. Then it will boot normally in
    > all the machines it was installed on.
    >
    > XP won't allow this. It balks at the outset.
    >
    > I have an XP SP2 CD from a university that does not contain require
    > activation. The issue I bring up here has NOTHING to do with MS's
    > program that inspects the hardware and compares it to a hash of some
    > sort and insists that there be only one product key on each machine.
    > The XP I have installed and the CD I have never says a word about
    > needing to go to MS and get permission to exist or any of that.
    >
    > This is different. I know there is a way to delete certain files or
    > registry entries that will allow the install to proceed like it does
    > in win 9.x. I don't unfortunately know how to do it.
    >
    > Can anyone help?

    sysprep will do what you want. It's an MS tool, google for it.

    --
    You miserable apology for infected cigarette butts.
    John Holmes, Jul 26, 2007
  4. Guest

    > sysprep will do what you want. It's an MS tool, google for it.

    Thanks for the Sysprep lead. What isn't answered in the documentation
    is what happens to the "master" installation after you Sysprep it.

    Sysprep is supposed to make an image for deploying many XP installs in
    an office setting.

    But I just want it so I can take the HDD that was Syspreped and put
    it in another machine and boot that drive's XP like I've been doing
    with Win98. My copy of XP does not have any activation checks on it.
    It's an educational institution CD for mass deployment.

    So my question is what is removed or changed on that "master" hdd that
    had Sysprep run on it. Will all my settings and personalizations still
    be there? Will it boot without any possibility of a problem? Do you
    know what files or settings it alters? Thanks for any info.
    , Jul 29, 2007