carrot and stick

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10374150
    Telecom will roll out advanced broadband internet services capable of 24
    megabits-a-second download speeds - 12 times faster than those now
    available - by Christmas.

    The company is announcing today it will begin installation of the advanced
    services, known as ADSL2+, in June. Customer trials will begin soon after,
    with commercial plans to be offered by the end of this year.

    Telecom spokesman John Goulter said the rollout would start in high-density
    urban centres, including Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, and overall
    would cost between $150 million and $170 million.

    He said it was too early to speculate on commercial prices, which would be
    determined after customer trials.

    Telecom will offer video calling as part of the service and will test
    internet television too. Goulter said Telecom was negotiating with several
    content providers, but could not name them as nothing had been finalised.

    "We would never see ourselves in the business of being content providers but
    we would be in partnership with others," he said.

    The ADSL2+ service will be offered wholesale to resellers such as CallPlus
    and ihug. Ihug's parent iiNet introduced ADSL2+ services with 24 megabit
    speeds in Australia last year, starting at A$29.95 ($34.39) a month.

    Goulter could not say what the upload speeds would be, but said download
    limits would change from existing offerings. "These sorts of speeds and
    services change the equation, so we'll be changing the plans accordingly."

    Telecom will also go through with the service regardless of the outcome of
    the Government's regulatory review. One possible scenario is that the
    Government will force the unbundling of Telecom's local loop, which would
    give rivals access to its network, allowing them to provide ADSL2+ with
    their own equipment.

    Goulter said Telecom was committed to ADSL2+ but the regulatory environment
    would be a factor in how far and fast it was rolled out.
    Shane, Mar 23, 2006

  2. Shane

    Enkidu Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10374150
    > Telecom will roll out advanced broadband internet services capable of 24
    > megabits-a-second download speeds - 12 times faster than those now
    > available - by Christmas.

    That doesn't mention anywhere that ADSL2 is only available within about
    one kilometre of the exchange, does it? At 5km from the exchange it is
    no better than ADSL.

    http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/

    http://www.networkworld.com/news/tech/2003/0120techupdate.html

    "ADSL2 extends reach by approximately 600 feet." 600 feet????

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    > >
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10374150
    >> Telecom will roll out advanced broadband internet services capable of 24
    >> megabits-a-second download speeds - 12 times faster than those now
    >> available - by Christmas.
    >>

    > That doesn't mention anywhere that ADSL2 is only available within about
    > one kilometre of the exchange, does it? At 5km from the exchange it is
    > no better than ADSL.
    >
    > http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/
    >
    > http://www.networkworld.com/news/tech/2003/0120techupdate.html
    >
    > "ADSL2 extends reach by approximately 600 feet." 600 feet????
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    It was their subtle "Goulter said Telecom was committed to ADSL2+ but the
    regulatory environment would be a factor in how far and fast it was rolled
    out." at the end that caught my eye
    But I hope the .govt spots what youve just pointed out, that will take some
    of the blackmail out of the equation
    Shane, Mar 24, 2006