Carnegie Mellon University

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Struggling with one of the papers Ive been *forced* to do Ive had a look in
    the intarweb for help (yeah tutors would have been the obvious first port
    of call but that would ruin this post :)
    Ive stumbled upon another merkin University allowing access to its course
    materials

    From the blurb
    At Carnegie Mellon, this online course is taught in combination with
    instructor-led discussion sections. At other institutions, the course is
    taught as a self paced course with TA support but no regular class
    meetings. This Open & Free Version does NOT include access to the
    end-of-module graded exams or to the course instructor. No credit is
    awarded for completing the Open & Free Version of the course.

    http://www.cmu.edu/oli/courses/
    Theres biology, chemistry, french, and the fucker I was struggling with..
    calculus...

    (Ive cross posted this because I realised after I posted about berkeley
    allowing anyone to view their webcasted lectures that there are more
    students in nz.gen than nz.comp)
    (pssst nz.gen'rs.. http://webcasts.berkeley.edu/courses/index.php lectures
    on art, bio, comp sci, chem... and shitloads more ;-)

    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.

    Shane, Apr 13, 2006

  2. On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:05:18 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > At Carnegie Mellon, this online course is taught in combination with
    > instructor-led discussion sections. At other institutions, the course is
    > taught as a self paced course with TA support but no regular class
    > meetings. This Open & Free Version does NOT include access to the
    > end-of-module graded exams or to the course instructor. No credit is
    > awarded for completing the Open & Free Version of the course.

    Have you looked at Open Courseware from MIT?
    http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html. Do a google search for "open courseware",
    there's a few educational organizations that are now jumping on the
    bandwagon.

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Apr 13, 2006

  3. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:05:18 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> At Carnegie Mellon, this online course is taught in combination with
    >> instructor-led discussion sections. At other institutions, the course is
    >> taught as a self paced course with TA support but no regular class
    >> meetings. This Open & Free Version does NOT include access to the
    >> end-of-module graded exams or to the course instructor. No credit is
    >> awarded for completing the Open & Free Version of the course.

    > Have you looked at Open Courseware from MIT?
    > http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html. Do a google search for "open courseware",
    > there's a few educational organizations that are now jumping on the
    > bandwagon.

    Holy shit.. bundles of them
    Hmm.. I feel ivy league-ish
    yale.. no princeton... no wait.... harvard it is :)
    Hmm. they only offer women at work papers :-\
    Back to figuring out calculus

    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.

    Shane, Apr 13, 2006
  4. On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:11:33 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > Holy shit.. bundles of them
    > Hmm.. I feel ivy league-ish
    > yale.. no princeton... no wait.... harvard it is :)
    > Hmm. they only offer women at work papers :-\
    > Back to figuring out calculus

    If you maintain a B average at Waikato University, you could always do a
    transfer to say Berkley for a semester or two, then you'd truly be at the
    holy grail of computing research.

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Apr 13, 2006
  5. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:11:33 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> Holy shit.. bundles of them
    >> Hmm.. I feel ivy league-ish
    >> yale.. no princeton... no wait.... harvard it is :)
    >> Hmm. they only offer women at work papers :-\
    >> Back to figuring out calculus

    > If you maintain a B average at Waikato University, you could always do a
    > transfer to say Berkley for a semester or two, then you'd truly be at the
    > holy grail of computing research.

    Ha.. I went to find this quote.. and got it off wlugs site
    http://www.wlug.org.nz/BerkeleySoftwareDistribution
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We
    don't believe this to be a coincidence.
    Jeremy S. Anderson

    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.

    Shane, Apr 13, 2006
  6. Shane

    Philip Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:11:33 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >>
    >>> Holy shit.. bundles of them
    >>> Hmm.. I feel ivy league-ish
    >>> yale.. no princeton... no wait.... harvard it is :)
    >>> Hmm. they only offer women at work papers :-\
    >>> Back to figuring out calculus

    >> If you maintain a B average at Waikato University, you could always do a
    >> transfer to say Berkley for a semester or two, then you'd truly be at the
    >> holy grail of computing research.
    >>

    > Ha.. I went to find this quote.. and got it off wlugs site
    > http://www.wlug.org.nz/BerkeleySoftwareDistribution
    > There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We
    > don't believe this to be a coincidence.
    > Jeremy S. Anderson

    Didn't Google start out as a project at Carnegie Mellon?

    Philip

    Philip, Apr 14, 2006
  7. Shane

    BTMO Guest

    "Shane" <> wrote

    > Theres biology, chemistry, french, and the fucker I was struggling with..
    > calculus...

    Calculus is the tool of the Devil

    (assumption: Isaac Newton is the Devil)

    BTMO, Apr 14, 2006
  8. Shane

    anon k Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Struggling with one of the papers Ive been *forced* to do Ive had a look in
    > the intarweb for help (yeah tutors would have been the obvious first port
    > of call but that would ruin this post :)
    > Ive stumbled upon another merkin University allowing access to its course
    > materials
    >
    > From the blurb
    > At Carnegie Mellon, this online course is taught in combination with
    > instructor-led discussion sections. At other institutions, the course is
    > taught as a self paced course with TA support but no regular class
    > meetings.

    You know, if you go there for a PhD, they'll pay you for it. Then you
    get access to the instructor and labs as well. Their engineering school
    is pretty good.

    anon k, Apr 20, 2006