    LOL.. All help would as always be appreciated. I am not a fan of the new
    forums and prefer these newsgroups as I have been dealing with them for
    years.. Thanks in advance.....

    Drew, Nov 21, 2009

  2. A detailed comparison of the features in the editions is at
    http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp. Only you can
    decide if Home Premium will fulfill all your business requirements.

    You can use an upgrade version to upgrade Vista Home Premium.
    http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_upgrade_03.asp explains how. The
    upgraded installation may work well, but I would recommend a clean
    install. The upgrade process is reported to take a long time: you
    probably won't save time over doing a clean install, and there is the
    risk that the upgraded installation won't work well.

    You can do a clean install with upgrade media. See
    http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp.

    The family pack is for 3 computers. You would have a spare license. It
    could be used for a laptop, or you could build an HTPC.

    Dominic Payer, Nov 21, 2009

  3. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Dominic.. Thanks for your response.. as for the vista business I purchased
    and installed on the very first day vista came out and only purchased the
    business version because I did not need the ability to have media center as
    a part of it. That is the reason for considering the home premium now..
    Unfortunately they do not allow a upgrade from vista business to win 7 home
    premium, Hence the question of the family pack.

    Drew, Nov 21, 2009
  4. I concur with Dominic.

    Below are a few more links to Microsoft's website with information bout
    Win 7 versions and upgrading:

    http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

    The last one about going from XP to 7 and using Windows Easy Transfer is
    good. I use this procedure to upgrade my wife's computer from XP Pro
    (32-bit) to 7 Home Premium x64 (64-bit) and was pleasantly surprised how
    well it worked. I did customize the info saved for transfer since we
    use Firefox and Thunderbird and wanted to retail the data and setting
    for these.

    You will need to re-install programs, but virtually all her
    personalizations were retained to include her desktop.

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 21, 2009
  5. You're right about not being able to do a direct upgrade, but from most
    info posted on the web it's better to do a clean install from Vista.
    Most comments claim better performance when comparing upgrading versus
    clean install.

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 21, 2009
  6. See http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/upgrade_01.asp. Vista Business
    qualifies for a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade but needs a custom
    install to achieve the upgrade - you can't upgrade in place to a lower
    edition.

    If your wife's Home Premium has been running for several years, I would
    strongly advise a clean install.

    Dominic Payer, Nov 21, 2009
  7. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Hers is about a year and a half old and is a HP touchsmart IQ804.. Would I
    not lose all the hp touch capabilities??

    Drew, Nov 21, 2009
  8. Have you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displayLang=en

    You need to confirm that Touchsmart is Windows 7 compatible. The driver
    is at http://www.nextwindow.com/nextwindow_support/windriver.html.

    Any software you need can be downloaded from
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us〈=en&os=2100&product=3762887.
    The specs at
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01549576&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3762887
    suggest that Windows 7 should have all the required drivers, except for
    the Avermedia TV card, which may be available from Windows Update.

    Dominic Payer, Nov 21, 2009
  9. You would have to ensure you locate the software and/or drivers needed
    for the Touchsmart IQ804. If seems HP may have made available most, if
    not all, available @
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3762887&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

    Depending how long you've had the Touchsmart you might be better off
    purchasing the Win 7 Upgrade from HP since it would be optimized, or
    customized, for their hardware; AKA OEM.

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 21, 2009
  10. P.S.

    I overlooked the time you said she had the Touchsmart.

    I did find a link at HP about upgrading to Win 7:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...79&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3762887

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 21, 2009
  11. Drew

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Nov 22, 2009
  12. Drew

    Barb Bowman Guest

    not necessary.

    On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:03:41 -0500, Bobby Johnson
    <> wrote:

    >Depending how long you've had the Touchsmart you might be better off
    >purchasing the Win 7 Upgrade from HP since it would be optimized, or
    >customized, for their hardware; AKA OEM.

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

    Barb Bowman, Nov 22, 2009
  13. Drew

    Barb Bowman Guest

    the touchsmarts upgrade beautifully.

    Barb Bowman, Nov 22, 2009
  14. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Bobby. so here is another question maybe you can help with, Since I now dual
    boot win7 ultimate rc and win vista business on my computer and I do not
    want to make a mistake and leave the computer non bootable how would I do
    the clean install? Currently c: is win vista and j: is win7.. When I restart
    my computer it shows a choice as to which I want to boot from with win 7
    first and win vista second. Thanks for your help.

    Drew, Nov 22, 2009
  15. Drew

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Drew:
    Before you start, of coarse back-up your data, then assign a name to
    each drive (c: Win Vista, j: Win 7 Etc for each drive). The reason for
    naming the drives is to make sure that you don't accidentally choose the
    wrong drive during installation. When you boot from the Win-7 DVD it will
    list each drive and name for you to choose where to install. You would
    replace Win-7 rc with Win-7 rtm, after the installation is complete you
    could use EasyBCD or VistaBootPro to rename the operating systems on the
    boot screen. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4627 (20091121) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    Dennis Pack, Nov 22, 2009
  16. Drew

    Carlos Guest

    Drew,
    Sorry for letting you down, I've been out taking an "unplugged" break the
    whole weekend. Hope the other guys have taken good care of you!
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 22, 2009
  17. Drew

    Drew Guest

    "Unplugged is always better than plugged up!!!. Thanks Carlos.

    Drew, Nov 22, 2009
  18. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Dennis, my plan was of course to format the win7 rc and probably the vista
    one as well and start fresh however they are on the same physical disk just
    different partitions. Now what would be your advice?

    Drew, Nov 22, 2009
  19. Drew

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Drew:
    I don't know if Vista installing after Win-7 will effect the boot
    manager for Win-7. If you're starting with a blank hard drive or going to
    clear the existing hard drive I would recommend setting up and naming the
    partitions during installation. The downside is to verify that after you
    setup the partitions is to pick the right partition before starting the
    installation.

    --

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4628 (20091122) __________

    http://www.eset.com