    the .NET framework coursework in a few months. Any
    advice/info on employment opportunities?
    Thanks!

    John, Feb 22, 2004

  2. John

    Jay Walters Guest

    You should be alright. I'm guessing you're a C or C++
    developer?

    You might have a little trouble getting an 'in-house'
    developer position because they tend to focus on Web page
    experience. In your case, I'd try appling with software
    consulting companies, they'll appriciate your experience
    and know that you can gain "Web page" experience on the
    way.

    Be sure to build a few sample web sites while your
    learning .NET ... keep focus on OOP, page events, and how
    data binding works. Also dive in to IIS, learn how to run
    a web server.

    Cheers,

    ~Jay

    Jay Walters, Feb 22, 2004

  3. >I'm an embedded software engineer planning

    Stay there - much more fun!!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Feb 22, 2004
  4. >You might have a little trouble getting an 'in-house'
    >developer position because they tend to focus on Web page
    >experience. In your case, I'd try appling with software
    >consulting companies, they'll appriciate your experience
    >and know that you can gain "Web page" experience on the
    >way.
    >
    >Be sure to build a few sample web sites while your
    >learning .NET ... keep focus on OOP, page events, and how
    >data binding works. Also dive in to IIS, learn how to run
    >a web server.

    I tend to disagree somewhat regarding the emphasis you place on 'Web
    Page' experience. Creating a 'web page' is relatively simple, creating
    a distributed application is not. The skills involved in creating 'web
    pages' are completely different from those required to design and
    implement an efficient, fit for purpose e-commerce solution. Where I
    work we don't expect (and never have) our engineers to be graphic
    artists, we do however expect them to understand the principals of
    distributed processing, the object oriented development process and
    have a good understanding of the company's core business, which is not
    software development.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Feb 22, 2004
  5. John

    Jay Walters Guest

    I see your point.

    Because he's embedded and switching to .NET, I assumed
    he'd lack the background to dive right in to distributed
    apps.

    I was thinking, companies that need an engineer for .NET
    e-commerce apps would probably not pick him up due to
    lack of experience with .NET.

    Hence my reasoning that a consulting company would
    appriaciate his experience.

    There are a lot of knuckleheads out there running IT
    groups that should be grilling burgers.

    Jay Walters, Feb 23, 2004
  6. >There are a lot of knuckleheads out there running IT
    >groups that should be grilling burgers.

    Very true (unfortunately).

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Feb 23, 2004