Career questions: databases

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by dreamznatcher, Jun 29, 2007.

  1. Hello,
    Not sure whether this is the right group to ask this, but there are so
    many groups out there I got kinda lost! Please help me out on this
    career dilemma I'm going through, or kindly forward me to an
    appropriate group.

    I am a graduate in Computer Engineering, and am particularly
    interested in databases. I can chalk out databases in detail on paper
    and I'm also good at visualizing the development phases of a potential
    application. For instance, in case of a web portal, I can design the
    database in detail, including writing the queries; as well as design
    the front end.

    I'm proficient in MySQL (4.1.xx), Oracle (8i, 9i); also once knew a
    little bit of SQL Server 2000, and intend to learn SQLite soon. On the
    web design front, I have intermediate-to-advanced level skills in CSS,
    JS, PHP and am looking forward to learning AJAX and ASP.net very soon.

    I feel my strengths are:
    a. I can design database systems (I don't know if that's the right
    name to call it) on a very short notice. However complex the
    application, it never takes more than a few hours (in the very extreme
    of cases) for me to chalk the whole thing out.
    b. I'm good at debugging, and am extremely meticulous about good
    coding practices and error and exception handling.
    c. I'm good at designing good, clean webpages and emphasize on an
    optimal use of CSS.
    d. I'm quick to learn.

    That should be enough of tall talk! Among projects I've done are:
    - A complete university management system
    - A CMS for a news agency
    - An image archive containing thousands of photos
    - A website for a newspaper

    My questions:
    What are the most viable career options for me out there?
    What are the stuff I should focus/learn to advance my skills
    optimally?
    What is the current job market/salary situation for database
    professionals?
    And finally, is there any university degree (MS) specializing in
    databases anywhere?

    Help! And thanks in advance.
    dzn

    dreamznatcher, Jun 29, 2007

  2. dreamznatcher wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Not sure whether this is the right group to ask this, but there are so
    > many groups out there I got kinda lost! Please help me out on this
    > career dilemma I'm going through, or kindly forward me to an
    > appropriate group.
    >
    > I am a graduate in Computer Engineering, and am particularly
    > interested in databases. I can chalk out databases in detail on paper
    > and I'm also good at visualizing the development phases of a potential
    > application. For instance, in case of a web portal, I can design the
    > database in detail, including writing the queries; as well as design
    > the front end.
    >
    > I'm proficient in MySQL (4.1.xx), Oracle (8i, 9i); also once knew a
    > little bit of SQL Server 2000, and intend to learn SQLite soon. On the
    > web design front, I have intermediate-to-advanced level skills in CSS,
    > JS, PHP and am looking forward to learning AJAX and ASP.net very soon.
    >
    > I feel my strengths are:
    > a. I can design database systems (I don't know if that's the right
    > name to call it) on a very short notice. However complex the
    > application, it never takes more than a few hours (in the very extreme
    > of cases) for me to chalk the whole thing out.
    > b. I'm good at debugging, and am extremely meticulous about good
    > coding practices and error and exception handling.
    > c. I'm good at designing good, clean webpages and emphasize on an
    > optimal use of CSS.
    > d. I'm quick to learn.
    >
    > That should be enough of tall talk! Among projects I've done are:
    > - A complete university management system
    > - A CMS for a news agency
    > - An image archive containing thousands of photos
    > - A website for a newspaper
    >
    > My questions:
    > What are the most viable career options for me out there?
    > What are the stuff I should focus/learn to advance my skills
    > optimally?
    > What is the current job market/salary situation for database
    > professionals?
    > And finally, is there any university degree (MS) specializing in
    > databases anywhere?
    >
    > Help! And thanks in advance.
    > dzn

    This is a newsgroup for the PHP language, not databases. Try one of the
    database groups.

    --
    Remove the "x" from my email address

    Jerry Stuckle, Jun 30, 2007