Career Path - possibly OT

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by eddie, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. eddie

    eddie Guest

    I apologize if this is completely inappopriate for this group, but i am
    honestly seeking advice from you all because I respect the opinion and
    ethics of this group and im guessing that my situation might be shared by
    others.
    I am in my 4th year of employment as microsoft developer for a small
    shop with 2 MCSD exams under my belt (305,306). I plan to complete the MCSD
    within the next few months. Im at the point where i would like to seek new
    employment opportunities. During my job browsing ive found that there is
    indeed a local market for MS developers with not only high level of
    technical knowledge, but knowledge of business processes as well.
    My experience has been limited to small scale projects and consequently,
    i feel that in order to further myself, i need to find a slot on a project
    developing larger scale applications. Im also concerned that potential
    employers may look at my experience as somewhat irrelevant to Enterprise
    level projects. Does anybody have any thoughts or advice in the
    'transitioning' from smaller scale to larger scale project work?
    I was also wondering if anybody has known or worked with MCSD 's that
    have made the transition to system administration? If so, how was this
    done? I have limited administration experience and was wondering if it
    would be a pipe dream for me to 'switch' to administration.

    eddie, Sep 21, 2004

  2. eddie

    Guest Guest

    When you say "system administrator", do you mean database administrator or
    network administrator?

    Guest, Sep 22, 2004

  3. eddie

    Eric Guest

    eddie wrote:

    > I have limited
    > administration experience and was wondering if it would be a pipe
    > dream for me to 'switch' to administration.

    Experience is important with any job. You'd be starting over again as
    an entry level person if you switched, but the developer background
    might be a plus.

    Lot of administrator jobs specify a laundy list of technologies they
    want you have to have experience in. If you've worked with things like
    Active Directory and MSMQ in your current job, that probably counts.

    Eric

    Eric, Sep 22, 2004