Career Change?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by =?Utf-8?B?amVubmlmZXI=?=, Jul 18, 2007.

  1. I have 7years system administrator exp . The main things I have exp with are
    MS Exchange 2003, windows 2003, Citrix, migrating from 2000. Desktop support,
    Brightstor backups, ftp, epolicy server, OWA, mobile uses, Live Communication
    server. I guess my question is, I would like to get involved with more new
    technologies and other technologies that are out there. I don't want to do
    server maintenance, desktop support anymore. Can anyone give me insight on
    what fields are out there I could transition to? Certifications that may
    help in this transition, etc?
    =?Utf-8?B?amVubmlmZXI=?=, Jul 18, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "jennifer" <> wrote in message
    news::

    > I have 7years system administrator exp . The main things I have exp with are
    > MS Exchange 2003, windows 2003, Citrix, migrating from 2000. Desktop support,
    > Brightstor backups, ftp, epolicy server, OWA, mobile uses, Live Communication
    > server. I guess my question is, I would like to get involved with more new
    > technologies and other technologies that are out there. I don't want to do
    > server maintenance, desktop support anymore. Can anyone give me insight on
    > what fields are out there I could transition to? Certifications that may
    > help in this transition, etc?


    Hey Jennifer. Wow. That is a pretty tough question to answer. You
    mentioned you did not want to do server maintenance and desktop support
    anymore. Do you have an idea of what you want to do? Are you look at
    staying in the IT field at all?
    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
    CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Jul 18, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" wrote:

    > "jennifer" <> wrote in message
    > news::
    >
    > > I have 7years system administrator exp . The main things I have exp with are
    > > MS Exchange 2003, windows 2003, Citrix, migrating from 2000. Desktop support,
    > > Brightstor backups, ftp, epolicy server, OWA, mobile uses, Live Communication
    > > server. I guess my question is, I would like to get involved with more new
    > > technologies and other technologies that are out there. I don't want to do
    > > server maintenance, desktop support anymore. Can anyone give me insight on
    > > what fields are out there I could transition to? Certifications that may
    > > help in this transition, etc?

    >
    > Hey Jennifer. Wow. That is a pretty tough question to answer. You
    > mentioned you did not want to do server maintenance and desktop support
    > anymore. Do you have an idea of what you want to do? Are you look at
    > staying in the IT field at all?
    > --
    > Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    > The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
    > CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com
    >
    >
    > I know it is a tough question. :) I do love IT. I think it is interesting and challenging and maybe I just need a new job. But what I find in what I am current field is that companies usually only have so much budget and room for technology growth and I am afraid that if I go to another company I will be just implementing something and then staying status quo. Don't get me wrong I am not saying I know everything but it seems like there is so much going on in the technology world why work in an environment that is relatively the same. I don't know what I want to do, I guess that is why I posted the question. I wanted to know if anyone has an idea of what type of jobs are out there working with or testing different technologies or what field may be an easy or relatively easy transition from what I am doing now. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your reply, I really do appreciate it.
    =?Utf-8?B?amVubmlmZXI=?=, Jul 18, 2007
    #3
  4. "jennifer" <> wrote in message
    news::

    > "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" wrote:
    >
    > > "jennifer" <> wrote in message
    > > news::
    > >
    > > > I have 7years system administrator exp . The main things I have exp with are
    > > > MS Exchange 2003, windows 2003, Citrix, migrating from 2000. Desktop support,
    > > > Brightstor backups, ftp, epolicy server, OWA, mobile uses, Live Communication
    > > > server. I guess my question is, I would like to get involved with more new
    > > > technologies and other technologies that are out there. I don't want to do
    > > > server maintenance, desktop support anymore. Can anyone give me insight on
    > > > what fields are out there I could transition to? Certifications that may
    > > > help in this transition, etc?

    > >
    > > Hey Jennifer. Wow. That is a pretty tough question to answer. You
    > > mentioned you did not want to do server maintenance and desktop support
    > > anymore. Do you have an idea of what you want to do? Are you look at
    > > staying in the IT field at all?
    > > --
    > > Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    > > The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
    > > CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com
    > >
    > >
    > > I know it is a tough question. :) I do love IT. I think it is interesting and challenging and maybe I just need a new job. But what I find in what I am current field is that companies usually only have so much budget and room for technology growth and I am afraid that if I go to another company I will be just implementing something and then staying status quo. Don't get me wrong I am not saying I know everything but it seems like there is so much going on in the technology world why work in an environment that is relatively the same. I don't know what I want to do, I guess that is why I posted the question. I wanted to know if anyone has an idea of what type of jobs are out there working with or testing different technologies or what field may be an easy or relatively easy transition from what I am doing now. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your reply, I really do appreciate it.


    I have not been consulted for a company that had a budget and room for
    technology growth! ;-) It has been my job, my mission to approach my
    clients in a manner of not selling them, but protecting them from
    everyday issues and problems that plaque IT. Offering them solutions to
    potential deadly issues that could cripple or end their business. But I
    am digressing.

    Perhaps BETA testing is the way to go for you. New technology, helping
    develop the future. What do you think?
    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
    CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Jul 18, 2007
    #4
  5. "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote
    in message news::
    >
    > I have not been consulted for a company that had a budget and room for
    > technology growth! ;-)


    *I have never consulted for a company... Apologize it is 3am. :-(
    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
    CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Jul 18, 2007
    #5
  6. Thanks for all the help. I guess I would have to look into beta testing.
    Don' t know how I could get involved with it or what the job would actually
    entail. I had also thought maybe I should do some contracting to hire type
    positions so I could get a feel for what is out there. Do you think this
    would help me at all? I will look into the beta testing idea. thanks again

    "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" wrote:

    > "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote
    > in message news::
    > >
    > > I have not been consulted for a company that had a budget and room for
    > > technology growth! ;-)

    >
    > *I have never consulted for a company... Apologize it is 3am. :-(
    > --
    > Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    > The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
    > CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com
    >
    >
    >
    =?Utf-8?B?amVubmlmZXI=?=, Jul 18, 2007
    #6
  7. Become a consultant. Either start your own company or go to work for an
    established company. Your existing knowledge will be well utilized, but you
    will also constantly be forced into new technologies.


    "jennifer" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have 7years system administrator exp . The main things I have exp with
    >are
    > MS Exchange 2003, windows 2003, Citrix, migrating from 2000. Desktop
    > support,
    > Brightstor backups, ftp, epolicy server, OWA, mobile uses, Live
    > Communication
    > server. I guess my question is, I would like to get involved with more
    > new
    > technologies and other technologies that are out there. I don't want to do
    > server maintenance, desktop support anymore. Can anyone give me insight
    > on
    > what fields are out there I could transition to? Certifications that may
    > help in this transition, etc?
    Harvey Colwell, Jul 18, 2007
    #7
  8. Thanks for your suggestion. I will look into this also. Also I was thinking
    of starting my 2003 cert, a little late-I know. I was hoping this my help me
    with jobs. Should I wait for 2007 exams? Is Longhorn going to be that much
    different as far as how it uses AD, etc than 2003? I have installed the beta
    but haven't had too much time to fool with it. Also if I was going to start
    with one test which one should it be? I was thinking of # EXAM 70-293, which
    seems to include everything. Thanks again for all your help.

    "Harvey Colwell" wrote:

    > Become a consultant. Either start your own company or go to work for an
    > established company. Your existing knowledge will be well utilized, but you
    > will also constantly be forced into new technologies.
    >
    >
    > "jennifer" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >I have 7years system administrator exp . The main things I have exp with
    > >are
    > > MS Exchange 2003, windows 2003, Citrix, migrating from 2000. Desktop
    > > support,
    > > Brightstor backups, ftp, epolicy server, OWA, mobile uses, Live
    > > Communication
    > > server. I guess my question is, I would like to get involved with more
    > > new
    > > technologies and other technologies that are out there. I don't want to do
    > > server maintenance, desktop support anymore. Can anyone give me insight
    > > on
    > > what fields are out there I could transition to? Certifications that may
    > > help in this transition, etc?

    >
    >
    =?Utf-8?B?amVubmlmZXI=?=, Jul 19, 2007
    #8
  9. Little late on the reply i know, but Ive been in the exact same position as
    you were almost about the same time. I went into teaching which i loved, but
    also got in with an established consulting firm and love it. Like Harvey
    said, your constantly in new situations, new scenarios, and have to keep up
    on your technology. If you enjoy the challenges of the certs also, Microsoft
    partners will eat it up,and usually pay for you. If your considering doing it
    for yourself, its a good start also, since youll learn alot of the nuances of
    the partner program, customer ins and outs, etc.

    But again, been consulting for almost the last 4 years now and its always
    something new, new technology, new issue, new people, and youll do things you
    never thought youd be able to since you sort of force yourself to be
    challenged. i never thought id learn sql, but since ive been working with
    alot of sql and .net consultants also, ive gone into SQL, Project server,
    LCS, SMS, MOM, and soon softgrid :) .net i still avoid like the plague, but
    ive learned ALOT of VBasic which i never thought i would ;) its really alot
    of fun

    "jennifer" wrote:

    > Thanks for your suggestion. I will look into this also. Also I was thinking
    > of starting my 2003 cert, a little late-I know. I was hoping this my help me
    > with jobs. Should I wait for 2007 exams? Is Longhorn going to be that much
    > different as far as how it uses AD, etc than 2003? I have installed the beta
    > but haven't had too much time to fool with it. Also if I was going to start
    > with one test which one should it be? I was thinking of # EXAM 70-293, which
    > seems to include everything. Thanks again for all your help.
    >
    > "Harvey Colwell" wrote:
    >
    > > Become a consultant. Either start your own company or go to work for an
    > > established company. Your existing knowledge will be well utilized, but you
    > > will also constantly be forced into new technologies.
    > >
    > >
    > > "jennifer" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > > >I have 7years system administrator exp . The main things I have exp with
    > > >are
    > > > MS Exchange 2003, windows 2003, Citrix, migrating from 2000. Desktop
    > > > support,
    > > > Brightstor backups, ftp, epolicy server, OWA, mobile uses, Live
    > > > Communication
    > > > server. I guess my question is, I would like to get involved with more
    > > > new
    > > > technologies and other technologies that are out there. I don't want to do
    > > > server maintenance, desktop support anymore. Can anyone give me insight
    > > > on
    > > > what fields are out there I could transition to? Certifications that may
    > > > help in this transition, etc?

    > >
    > >
    =?Utf-8?B?w6doZWVr?=, Aug 8, 2007
    #9
  10. Not too late at all. I really appreciate your response and advice. I have to
    get moving on this and appreciative of any information anyone can give me.
    Especially those who have had similar experience. :) Thanks again. I just
    have to find out about how to get involved with consulting.
    "çheek" wrote:

    > Little late on the reply i know, but Ive been in the exact same position as
    > you were almost about the same time. I went into teaching which i loved, but
    > also got in with an established consulting firm and love it. Like Harvey
    > said, your constantly in new situations, new scenarios, and have to keep up
    > on your technology. If you enjoy the challenges of the certs also, Microsoft
    > partners will eat it up,and usually pay for you. If your considering doing it
    > for yourself, its a good start also, since youll learn alot of the nuances of
    > the partner program, customer ins and outs, etc.
    >
    > But again, been consulting for almost the last 4 years now and its always
    > something new, new technology, new issue, new people, and youll do things you
    > never thought youd be able to since you sort of force yourself to be
    > challenged. i never thought id learn sql, but since ive been working with
    > alot of sql and .net consultants also, ive gone into SQL, Project server,
    > LCS, SMS, MOM, and soon softgrid :) .net i still avoid like the plague, but
    > ive learned ALOT of VBasic which i never thought i would ;) its really alot
    > of fun
    >
    > "jennifer" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for your suggestion. I will look into this also. Also I was thinking
    > > of starting my 2003 cert, a little late-I know. I was hoping this my help me
    > > with jobs. Should I wait for 2007 exams? Is Longhorn going to be that much
    > > different as far as how it uses AD, etc than 2003? I have installed the beta
    > > but haven't had too much time to fool with it. Also if I was going to start
    > > with one test which one should it be? I was thinking of # EXAM 70-293, which
    > > seems to include everything. Thanks again for all your help.
    > >
    > > "Harvey Colwell" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Become a consultant. Either start your own company or go to work for an
    > > > established company. Your existing knowledge will be well utilized, but you
    > > > will also constantly be forced into new technologies.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > "jennifer" <> wrote in message
    > > > news:...
    > > > >I have 7years system administrator exp . The main things I have exp with
    > > > >are
    > > > > MS Exchange 2003, windows 2003, Citrix, migrating from 2000. Desktop
    > > > > support,
    > > > > Brightstor backups, ftp, epolicy server, OWA, mobile uses, Live
    > > > > Communication
    > > > > server. I guess my question is, I would like to get involved with more
    > > > > new
    > > > > technologies and other technologies that are out there. I don't want to do
    > > > > server maintenance, desktop support anymore. Can anyone give me insight
    > > > > on
    > > > > what fields are out there I could transition to? Certifications that may
    > > > > help in this transition, etc?
    > > >
    > > >
    =?Utf-8?B?amVubmlmZXI=?=, Aug 8, 2007
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Tony Neville
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,557
    steve
    Sep 22, 2006
  2. GarryHz

    Career Change

    GarryHz, Mar 27, 2006, in forum: MCAD
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    334
    Gorm Braarvig
    Apr 2, 2006
  3. jaykay21089
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,244
    jaykay21089
    May 24, 2008
  4. jaykay21089
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,277
    Shadow36
    May 24, 2008
  5. Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remailer

    Democrat's "change," not pocket change

    Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remailer, Mar 14, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    534
    Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remailer
    Mar 14, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page