    Thanks,

    Scott
    , Jun 16, 2005

  2. From: <>

    | Thinking about going back to school for computers? Not for programming but
    | maybe hands on IT work, networking, security, or animation. Can you in the
    | field offer any career
    | thoughts or advise. I'm most concerned about outsourcing! While computers
    | are here to stay what career options are left?
    |
    | What computer paths are best to seek? The schools just want my money so
    | what do you think?
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Scott

    Outsourcing a problem ?

    Not when you work for a contracted company that provides the outsourced services for the
    client. Albeit it can be PITA and the end of a contract.

    You have quite a range there. Networking, Computer Security (COMSEC) and Information
    Security (INFOSEC) are a far cry from animation. Animation is an art form. Are you
    artistic ? If yes... then go for animation. Are you technical ? If yes.... then go for
    Networking, Computer Security (COMSEC) and Information Security (INFOSEC). However there is
    more to learn in those areas than animation and you would need to understand a broad range
    of technologies, platforms, applications and implementations.

    All schools want money. Most have an objective to make a profit and NOT make you a profit.
    That is up to you. Do what makes you happy and don't depend on a school. Learn for your
    self and use a school as a tool and not an end to a means.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, Jun 16, 2005

  3. Wolf Halton Guest

    Instead of spending 2 or 3 years in school first and then looking for
    the job that matches your schooling, which is sort of fire, ready and
    then aim...

    Find the niche you think you would be happiest working 60 to 80 hours
    per week in, and a company you like. Get an appointment with a manager
    as high up the list as you can, and put to them that you want to work
    for their company because of n1, n2, n3, etc. Tell them your current
    skill set and the end result you are wanting to attempt. They might
    hire you now and pay for you to go to school. They might be able to
    prognosticate what skills they will really be needing in 3 years, and
    you could have made a friend who would be interested in keeping up with
    your progress.

    Shortfalls in business HR sets about a spike in education, but by the
    time you have finished school, you may well be in a hiring trough for
    that speciality.

    Remember that there are few entry jobs you would want anyway, but
    lateral promotions are not unknown.

    I am not just blowing this out my butt. There is one guy with whom I
    have been in contact since 2003, who is doing just that. When he
    finishes with school, I may well know someplace he can get a job, or I
    might work with him.

    Wolf
    Wolf Halton, Jun 26, 2005