Career Advice

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by tnucami, Jan 14, 2009.

  1. tnucami

    tnucami Guest

    Hi,

    I've been working in Engineering since leaving school. I did an
    apprenticeship in the automotive industry and after completing found myself
    within Simulations working with software like Robcad and Catia.

    After returning home (UK) from a contract in Germany, the automotive
    industry has taken a very bad turn and finding a job is proving very
    difficult. So I've decided to retrain. My interests have always been more IT
    based than Engineering and I feel my skills in IT have been what have helped
    me within Engineering more than my Engineering skills.

    I am studying for 70-271 and have the exam in a few days. I hope to take
    the 70-272 a few weeks later - I'm studying all day everyday.

    My question is, is this realistically going to get me a half decent job? I
    do not have a degree, my highest qualification is a BTEC but not in a field
    related to IT. The idea is to get MCSDT, get a job then continue studying to
    achieve MCSE or MCSA.

    Comments or advice would be appreciated.
    tnucami, Jan 14, 2009

  2. tnucami

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    Hi Tnucami,

    I know a lot of IT Pros who earn a pretty good living without degrees. From
    your post it sounds like a good plan of action, except that the
    certifications you are discussing are ALL for older technologies... Windows
    XP and Server 2003.

    I agree that they are all still relevant, and I certainly believe that if
    you are good with XP then you should start with an XP cert. However looking
    ahead, once you have a few under your belt, you might want to consider
    looking at some of the newer certifications... for Vista (MCTS: Windows
    Vista Configuring, MCITP: Enterprise Support technician) and for Server 2008
    (there are several).

    My advice to you is to continue along your path, and be realistic... you
    will not be driving a Bentley anytime soon, but you can definitely earn a
    decent wage.

    Good luck to you, and remember to NOT get discouraged :)

    Mitch Garvis
    Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
    http://garvis.ca/blogs

    Montreal_MCT, Jan 14, 2009

  3. tnucami

    tnucami Guest

    Thanks for your reply Montreal. Some good advice there. I'm not being
    unrealistic, I would just like to start on a moderate wage, enough to pay the
    bills really and go from there. The fact that I can retrain without having to
    sell my house or anything drastic is enough for me.

    I will get the MCSDT under my belt and move on to Vista and look at Server
    2008 after that.

    Thanks again.

    tnucami, Jan 14, 2009