Career Advice

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Leon Myerson, May 26, 2007.

  1. Leon Myerson

    Leon Myerson Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I'm in a somewhat unusual position career-wise and I'm hoping for some
    advice. I'm going to take both MCDST exams next week, and I do expect to
    pass. I'm a pretty experienced test taker.

    The reason for that is that I was once an MCSE NT4. Back when the great
    Internet bust occurred in 2001, I was laid off and got fed up with trying to
    find another IT job in the NYC metro area. (One job faire at the time
    literally had a line stretching around the block just to get in the door!)
    So I left IT to try other things.

    In the intervening years I've done a little website design, financial
    services work, taught high school, and worked as a legal proofreader. Now
    I've decided that I actually miss IT, and I want back in.

    Any advice on getting a job? Will my former experience count for anything,
    or should I expect to start from the bottom all over again? That's my
    biggest concern. I will if I have to, but, urgh!

    I left right around when Server 2000 came out, and have some familiarity
    with it. I plan to be back up to MCSE within a year. I almost went back to
    IT 3 years ago, and got A+ certified. I'm planning to take the new A+ exams
    next just as a review.

    I'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions.

    Thanks -Leon
    Leon Myerson, May 26, 2007

  2. "Leon Myerson" <> wrote in message

    > Any advice on getting a job? Will my former experience count for
    > anything,
    > or should I expect to start from the bottom all over again? That's my
    > biggest concern. I will if I have to, but, urgh!
    >
    > I left right around when Server 2000 came out, and have some familiarity
    > with it. I plan to be back up to MCSE within a year. I almost went
    > back to
    > IT 3 years ago, and got A+ certified. I'm planning to take the new A+
    > exams
    > next just as a review.
    >
    > I'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks -Leon

    Leon, my advice to you is start at the beginning. Windows 2000, 2003,
    and especially 2008 are totally different beasts than that of NT4. I
    would not concentrate on the MCSE certification right now. I would
    advise you to get experience with the technology above anything else.
    You have not the recommended experience to have your MCSE certification
    be of any value to you. An ideal candidate for the MCSE certification
    should have:

    At least one year of experience implementing and administering a network
    operating system in environments with the following characteristics:

    .. 200 to 26,000 supported users

    .. Five to 150 physical locations

    .. Typical network services and applications including file and print,
    database, messaging, proxy server or firewall, dial-in server, desktop
    management, and Web hosting

    .. Connectivity needs including connecting individual offices and users
    at remote locations to the corporate network and connecting corporate
    networks to the Internet

    In addition, an MCSE candidate should have at least one year of
    experience in the following areas:

    .. Implementing and administering a desktop operating system

    .. Designing a network infrastructure

    Currently you do not have this. Tell us what exactly what duties in the
    I.T. field do you want to pursue?

    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard], May 26, 2007

  3. Leon Myerson

    Leon Myerson Guest

    "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard]" <> wrote in
    message news:%23cIXG$...

    Leon Myerson, May 28, 2007
  4. Leon Myerson

    Leon Myerson Guest

    Michael,

    Thanks for the reply. I think something glitched when I tried to respond,
    there's a blank message from me on the newsgroup, not even under your
    message.

    Anyway, my last IT job did encompass pretty much everything you listed, but
    of course, that was 6 years ago. And I certainly agree about "paper"
    MCSE's. I was hoping that a year from now, I wouldn't be, though it will
    depend on getting to work with the actual environment.

    Right now I'd like a medium-sized central office, 200 to 300 users, in a
    company with other branch offices, where I can combine the MCDST and A+
    roles, and work closely with whoever is running the network. What I really
    don't want is to be tied down to a phone in a call center all day. I like
    to interact with the users, and I'm very good at calming them down and
    explaining what's happening.

    I've done some formal classroom instruction in various computer topics over
    the years, as well as help document systems and procedures I worked on. I
    think I'd be very useful during any type of rollout project. That should be
    very relevant as companies start moving to Vista and Office 2007. (which I
    doubt will happen until at least the first service pack. <smile>)

    What scares me is comments in this newsgroup about new MCDSTs getting $10/12
    hr. at CompUSA. I think I'm worth more than that, or am I? Any ideas as to
    what sort of employer might agree?

    Leon

    Leon Myerson, May 28, 2007