    i recently got my mcsd and mcad.net. i need some good
    advice on how to fully use these certs to get a job
    outside my country. i will appriciate your help
    francis, May 11, 2005

  2. francis

    Don Carter Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 05:40:02 -0700, "francis" <>
    wrote:

    > i recently got my mcsd and mcad.net. i need some good
    >advice on how to fully use these certs to get a job
    >outside my country. i will appriciate your help

    How many years' practical experience do you have?
    Don Carter, May 11, 2005

  3. francis

    KMA Guest

    Write an app to show what you can do. Web apps are nice because they can be
    evaluated without install.

    Doesn't have to be a killer app, just more than trivial and most of all
    well-rounded. Design Spec, Test Plan, User Docs etc. It shows you can
    complete all stages of dev cycle.

    This coupled with certification makes it look like you're serious about dev.
    Certification alone means very little.

    KMA, May 11, 2005
  4. francis

    fj Guest

    "KMA" <> wrote in message
    > Write an app to show what you can do. Web apps are nice because they can
    > be
    > evaluated without install.
    >
    > Doesn't have to be a killer app, just more than trivial and most of all
    > well-rounded. Design Spec, Test Plan, User Docs etc. It shows you can
    > complete all stages of dev cycle.

    I was turned down for a job interview because they keep asking me about code
    review, specs and unit testing stuff. I didn't prepare at all.

    I have a feeling that most employers look for more skill other than writing
    code, especially for non-entry-level programmer job.

    -fj
    fj, May 16, 2005
  5. francis

    Guest Guest

    > I have a feeling that most employers look for more skill other than
    > writing code, especially for non-entry-level programmer job.

    True; you are perceptive for picking up that, so start reading books such
    as: The Pragmatic Programmer and Agile Software Development.

    Guest, May 16, 2005
  6. francis

    fj Guest

    > True; you are perceptive for picking up that, so start reading books such
    > as: The Pragmatic Programmer and Agile Software Development.

    Can you provide some insight of the special reason that you recommend this
    book?

    -fj
    fj, May 17, 2005
  7. francis

    Guest Guest

    Unlike books which teach how to use a specific development tool or how to
    study for an exam, these books cover topics such as coding from
    requirements, writing flexible and reliable code, how to unit test your work
    before handing it off to QA or the client, etc.

    Guest, May 18, 2005