Career Advice Please Help

Discussion in 'MCTS' started by Paul.Gleeson, Feb 6, 2008.

  1. Paul.Gleeson

    Paul.Gleeson Guest

    Hi all,

    I am an MCSE and I want to change careers from support to development. But,
    I am finding it difficult to decide to go the .net Web route or the .net
    AppDev route

    My study plan is as below.

    Exam 70–431: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - Implementation and Maintenance

    And
    Exam 70–528: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Web-Based Client Development

    Then

    Exam 70–536: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Application Development
    Foundation
    Or
    Exam 70-526: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 – Windows-Based Client
    Development

    What am I letting myself in for? and also which avenue is more lucrative.

    One last question, I have little experience in coding and the books state
    that I need a little experience in coding, but which flavor and can anyone
    please recommending a beginners book.

    I’m sorry for all these questions but I would rather get it right at the
    beginning than have to change later on down the road.
    In advance Thanks very much......

    --
    Paul
    Paul.Gleeson, Feb 6, 2008

  2. You should take 70-536 before you take any other development exams.

    Good luck with your change. Which avenue is more lucrative? You should
    take a look at a salary web site to find that out. Personally, I am
    bringing home the Benjamins. But then again, I am one of the greatest
    software developers of all time. So, I got that going for me. Which is
    nice.

    Death from Above
    MCPD: EAD, Web, Win
    MCITP: DBD, DBA
    MCSD.NET
    MCDBA

    Death from Above, Feb 6, 2008

  3. Paul.Gleeson

    Paul.Gleeson Guest

    Yea cheers buddy, i got my courses backwords there..

    Exam 70–431: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - Implementation and Maintenance

    And
    Exam 70–536: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Application Development
    Foundation

    Then

    Exam 70–528: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Web-Based Client Development
    Or
    Exam 70-526: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 – Windows-Based Client
    Development

    Please can you help me get a clearer picture?

    1. What am I letting myself in for where will theses paths take me?

    2. Which avenue is more lucrative? No scratch that. Which one is the more
    fun as money can’t buy you the satisfaction of an enjoyable career?

    3. One last question, I have little experience in coding and the books state
    that I need a little experience in coding, but which flavor and could you
    please recommending a beginners book.
    Paul.Gleeson, Feb 6, 2008
  4. > 1. What am I letting myself in for where will theses paths take me?

    Wherever you've go the drive and skill to take yourself.

    > 2. Which avenue is more lucrative? No scratch that. Which one is the more
    > fun as money can't buy you the satisfaction of an enjoyable career?

    I've always been a developer so I can't really compare it to support.

    > 3. One last question, I have little experience in coding and the books
    > state
    > that I need a little experience in coding, but which flavor and could you
    > please recommending a beginners book.

    Being an expert, I haven't really read any beginner books for a long time.
    Go to Amazon.com and search for C#. Buy one of the top selling, and highly
    rated books.

    Death from Above
    Death from Above, Feb 6, 2008
  5. Paul.Gleeson

    Paul.Gleeson Guest

    Thanks very much for your reply and kind advise.

    PS, my referience wasent to support and devolopment, it was to Web.NET or
    Windows based dev .net

    But I think I will study both.

    And Yea thanks I found Step by Step c# book...Nice one and Thanks again..
    Paul.Gleeson, Feb 6, 2008
  6. Paul.Gleeson

    Marc Guest

    "Paul.Gleeson" <(donotspam)> wrote

    Have you got a study background that involves coding. Like an information
    science degree?

    Anyway I would do just this one:

    > Exam 70-528: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Web-Based Client
    > Development

    or this one

    >Exam 70-536: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Application Development

    And then look for a coding job asap and learn from that. Otherwise, you'll
    be two years further, at the least, before you finish all these exams!!

    Alternatively, you could also do SCJP, Sun Certified Java Programmer. That
    will demonstrate your ability to learn a Object Oriented programming
    language. And java or C# do not differ that much.

    http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?category=7

    The peer to peer (programmer to programmer) support is much better for SCJP
    then with the MicroSoft Exams.
    Marc, Feb 7, 2008
  7. Paul.Gleeson

    Marc Guest

    "Death from Above" <> wrote

    > I've always been a developer so I can't really compare it to support.

    I can, I worked for techsupport, developper support. Support is annoying
    since you cannot work longer on a problem, it's this client with a problem
    then that client with a problem, then another with an urgent problem. Also I
    did not like support since tech support and customer support were in one
    room, hence you would be trying to figure out a technical problem with
    people on the phone besides you. Furthermore these first line support guys,
    are really different from techies, and talk and think they are funny all
    day, and if you complain, you're the nerd with no social skills.

    If you can find yourself in my description, do what I did, and go for the
    programming job. But I must say, it was hard to find one at that period. The
    year 2005. And then even I was an experienced programmed before I did some
    developper support job. So some of these job agencies really think, no he is
    a support guy. You will also find a lot of those human resource people
    phoning you, telling you you're not fit for the programming job, but they
    have a nice support job for you. You say no, she gives it to a collegue, the
    other girl calls you again with the same question, would you like that job
    you never applied for. It took me six whole weeks to find a kinda
    starter/intermediate programmer job. Not that long but with my experience I
    did have from say, five years before that, finding a job was harder then I
    thought. Then when I met my collegues it was easy, since they saw in a day I
    was more a programmer then a support engineer, and I just knew everything.
    (Not to be modest...)

    And no, I do not really like human resource and job agency persons, as you
    can imagine.

    But does this help you?
    Marc, Feb 7, 2008