    Please give me some advice and reasoning, I am all ears..

    Sincerel

    Fran

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbms=?=, May 15, 2004

  2. In news: ,
    Frank <> wrote:
    > .....I have couple of potential positions
    > to work on. .....
    >
    > I am having interviews for each one of them coming weeks. I am just
    > not sure which one should I focus on. .....

    I'm not sure what you mean by "focus on." It seems to me that this question
    is best answered after you've got an offer and in the current market you'll
    be lucky if you get more than one.

    www.cindywinegarden.com

    Cindy Winegarden, May 16, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbms=?=

    Guest Guest

    For what it's worth, here are my off the cuff opinions about each option:

    First - Slow paced and stable could simply mean that they measure twice and
    cut once; not necessarily a bad thing. This could have potential.

    Second - A library system? It seems that libraries would be using mostly
    turn key systems. Perhaps not much work to keep a developer busy. It
    probably pays the least too.

    Third - Financial companies have some of the best funded and best managed IT
    departments around. This is the best option overall. This job would probably
    be a keeper.

    Fourth - I agree that working on outsourced projects sucks more often than
    not. Most small consulting firms are bottom feeders who will keep you
    working 50+ hours a week on some death march until the company goes belly
    up, leaving you with worthless stock options. If you take this offer, then
    don't settle for anything less than 80K and make sure they pay you at least
    every two weeks in cash (not stock options or future bonuses).

    WKidd

    "Frank" <> wrote in message

    > Dear friends, how are you?
    >
    > It has been quite a while since my last visit of this newsgroup.
    > I finished my MCSD .net and then I developed couple of web

    applications. Now I am ready to make a career move.
    > I need advice from you guys, especially those experienced ones who can

    give me valuable suggestion careewise.
    > I have couple of potential positions to work on.
    >
    > First one -- IT department in a health care service, very slow paced and

    backward technology (asp, vbscript). But this company seems very stable and
    growing.
    > Second one -- IT department in a library system. Good work environment and

    ready to move into new .net technology. Company is stable too.
    > Third one -- a financial information provider for nationwide financial

    services, etc. The company has decent size too.
    > Fourth one --- a consulting company who offers service in NY.
    >
    > I am having interviews for each one of them coming weeks. I am just not

    sure which one should I focus on.
    > The concern I have is "outsourcing", which we all hate. Which one of the

    above can be least affected by outsourcing?

    Guest, May 16, 2004