    It's just a camera, not a religion!

    To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    Spammers are scammers, avoid them!
    Doug Warner, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Doug Warner

    Photon Guest

    When I bought my CF-PCMCIA adapter I had the option to buy one compatible
    with CF Type II. Given the ridiculous price difference, and the fact that
    CF-II cards are only a bit thicker, I went for the cheap option, figuring
    out that I could file the adapter if I ever bought a microdrive later (which
    I'm unlikely to do now, given the lower price of flash memory).

    By the way, is PCMCIA really limited to 1.2 MB/sec? I read on www.pcmcia.org
    that the PCMCIA i/f was running at 8Mhz on 8 or 16bits, which would give a
    theoretical throughput of up to 16MB/s. Not as much as CardBus's 132MB/s,
    but still plenty enough for CF cards. No?

    Photon, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Doug Warner

    Doug Warner Guest

    Stuart Middleton-White <> wrote:

    >"Photon" <> wrote:
    >
    >> By the way, is PCMCIA really limited to 1.2 MB/sec? I read on www.pcmcia.org
    >> that the PCMCIA i/f was running at 8Mhz on 8 or 16bits, which would give a
    >> theoretical throughput of up to 16MB/s. Not as much as CardBus's 132MB/s,
    >> but still plenty enough for CF cards. No?

    >Quoting from CardBus System Architecture by Don Anderson/Tom Shanley
    >published by Mindshare Inc. (http://www.mindshare.com) Page 20 (16-Bit
    >PC Card Performance).
    >
    >"The maximum theoretical throughput associated with 16-bit PC Card
    >transfers is 20MB/second. Most systems that employ 16-bit PC Cards
    >interface the card sockets to the ISA bus. As a result, PC Card
    >performance is governed by the ISA bus which has a maximum theoretical
    >throughput of 8MB/second.
    >
    >[techical details omitted]...This yields a transfer rate of 5.33Mbytes
    >per second."
    >
    >It is important to note that the above figures are theoretical (just
    >as CardBus/USB 2.0/Firewire rates are). In addition CF cards appear as
    >"ATA Disks" on the PCMCIA bus further limiting speed.
    >
    >The end result is that most PCMCIA interfaces can only transfer data
    >to/from ATA Disk devices at around 1.25Mbytes/second.
    >
    >The CardBus adapter mentioned at the start of this thread still only
    >claims a rate of 5Mbytes/second. Fast USB 2.0/Firewire readers exceed
    >this rate--but not by much, although this seems to be limited by the
    >CF cards themselves. Rob Galbraith recently achieved a rate of
    >7956Kbytes/second (7.8Mbytes/sec) with the new Sandisk Ultra 1Gb in a
    >Microtech Firewire reader.

    The Aska CF32A PDF http://www.aska-corp.co.jp/e-pdf/ecf32.pdf states:
    " - High CF transfer rate - up to PIO Mode-4 supported (16.7MB/S)"
    so it may be able to run with the fastest CF cards.

    Also, Aska is the manufacturer of the Tripper branded storage boxes.
    I've emailed insidecomputer.com, begging then to carry the CF32A as
    well.

    Doug Warner, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Doug Warner <> wrote:

    > The Aska CF32A PDF http://www.aska-corp.co.jp/e-pdf/ecf32.pdf states:
    > " - High CF transfer rate - up to PIO Mode-4 supported (16.7MB/S)"
    > so it may be able to run with the fastest CF cards.

    I got my figure of 5Mbytes/sec from the link (which I read some time
    ago BTW) the original poster provided.

    > Also, Aska is the manufacturer of the Tripper branded storage boxes.
    > I've emailed insidecomputer.com, begging then to carry the CF32A as
    > well.

    Again from the link.

    "UPDATE 12/May/03: We have managed to contact the manufacturer who has
    unfortunately confirmed that this is a Japan domestic market only
    product, they have no plans to export it. Which is a shame, lets hope
    another manufacturer with international distribution can realize the
    potential of this product."

    ---
    Don't feed the trolls--it only makes them grow!
    Stuart Middleton-White, Jul 24, 2003