    Zoombrowser of which I may be unaware?

    Thanks,

    Gordon
    Gordon MacPherson, Jan 29, 2008

  2. Gordon MacPherson

    Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:13:13 -0000, "Gordon MacPherson" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I know this is an old topic but would value refreshment. I normally download
    > from my Canon 350d to PC using Canon's ZoomBrowser Ex via USB. I find this
    > not too slow and it automatically puts files into the directory I want. I
    > notice that some posters recommend a card reader.
    > Are there advantages to using a reader, or disadvantages to using
    > Zoombrowser of which I may be unaware?

    Do whichever you prefer.
    , Jan 29, 2008

  3. Gordon MacPherson

    Mark B. Guest

    "Gordon MacPherson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I know this is an old topic but would value refreshment. I normally
    > download from my Canon 350d to PC using Canon's ZoomBrowser Ex via USB. I
    > find this not too slow and it automatically puts files into the directory
    > I want. I notice that some posters recommend a card reader.
    > Are there advantages to using a reader, or disadvantages to using
    > Zoombrowser of which I may be unaware?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gordon

    I've never liked ZoomBrowser, but maybe the newer versions are better. I
    don't like automatic directories, the reader gives me complete freedom to
    create the directories where I want to download photos - frequently it's not
    going to be the same directory. Regardless, it's one less piece of software
    I need to deal with. You may find the transfer from the camera not too
    slow, but it is still faster from a card reader. I don't like to use the
    camera batteries to download.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jan 29, 2008
  4. Gordon MacPherson

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <fnn16p$fk2$>,
    "Gordon MacPherson" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I know this is an old topic but would value refreshment. I normally download
    > from my Canon 350d to PC using Canon's ZoomBrowser Ex via USB. I find this
    > not too slow and it automatically puts files into the directory I want. I
    > notice that some posters recommend a card reader.
    > Are there advantages to using a reader, or disadvantages to using
    > Zoombrowser of which I may be unaware?

    Whatever works for you.

    I prefer a USB card reader for the simple reason that I can transfer
    photos on my laptop and still shoot more photos with my camera at the
    same time.
    Shawn Hirn, Jan 29, 2008
  5. "Gordon MacPherson" <> wrote:
    >I know this is an old topic but would value refreshment. I normally download
    >from my Canon 350d to PC using Canon's ZoomBrowser Ex via USB. I find this
    >not too slow and it automatically puts files into the directory I want. I
    >notice that some posters recommend a card reader.
    >Are there advantages to using a reader, or disadvantages to using
    >Zoombrowser of which I may be unaware?

    Card readers work on any computer. Card readers work on any operating
    system.
    Copying from them doesn't require any additional software (although some
    cameras can be switched to "mass storage device" mode).
    They allow photos to be copied more than once, e.g. to a master archive as
    well as a work directory for digital enhancement.
    They don't run down the camera batteries while copying the photos.

    For me it is easier and more convenient to just take the memory card and
    plug it into the card reader than fumbling around with the USB cable (where
    did I store it last time?) removing the tiny rubber plug at the camera
    (careful, don't rip it off!), and then plugging in the tiny connector and
    searching under the desk for the USB outlet on the computer for the other
    end of the cable. And then waiting for the computer to recognize the new USB
    device. And even more so if you are using multiple memory cards.

    IMO it is also easier to use just a single copy command or drag-n-drop than
    weeding through the options of yet another custom program.

    Of course, if you are more comfortable connecting the camera directly and if
    that works for you then there's nothing wrong with that, either. I just
    think it's a pain.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jan 29, 2008
  6. Gordon MacPherson

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Jürgen Exner wrote:
    > "Gordon MacPherson" <> wrote:
    >> I know this is an old topic but would value refreshment. I normally download
    >>from my Canon 350d to PC using Canon's ZoomBrowser Ex via USB. I find this
    >> not too slow and it automatically puts files into the directory I want. I
    >> notice that some posters recommend a card reader.
    >> Are there advantages to using a reader, or disadvantages to using
    >> Zoombrowser of which I may be unaware?

    > Card readers work on any computer. Card readers work on any operating
    > system.
    > Copying from them doesn't require any additional software (although some
    > cameras can be switched to "mass storage device" mode).
    > They allow photos to be copied more than once, e.g. to a master archive as
    > well as a work directory for digital enhancement.
    > They don't run down the camera batteries while copying the photos.
    >
    > For me it is easier and more convenient to just take the memory card and
    > plug it into the card reader than fumbling around with the USB cable (where
    > did I store it last time?) removing the tiny rubber plug at the camera
    > (careful, don't rip it off!), and then plugging in the tiny connector and
    > searching under the desk for the USB outlet on the computer for the other
    > end of the cable. And then waiting for the computer to recognize the new USB
    > device. And even more so if you are using multiple memory cards.
    >
    > IMO it is also easier to use just a single copy command or drag-n-drop than
    > weeding through the options of yet another custom program.
    >
    > Of course, if you are more comfortable connecting the camera directly and if
    > that works for you then there's nothing wrong with that, either. I just
    > think it's a pain.
    >
    > jue

    The op chooses to use zoombrowser and that's fine, but no special
    software is needed if using winxp despite the occasional posts
    suggesting otherwise with canon cameras (which for reasons known only to
    Canon do not hook up as a normal msc device and assign a drive letter).
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jan 29, 2008
  7. On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:13:13 +0000, Gordon MacPherson wrote:

    > I know this is an old topic but would value refreshment. I normally
    > download from my Canon 350d to PC using Canon's ZoomBrowser Ex via USB.
    > I find this not too slow and it automatically puts files into the
    > directory I want. I notice that some posters recommend a card reader.
    > Are there advantages to using a reader, or disadvantages to using
    > Zoombrowser of which I may be unaware?

    I prefer a USB card reader. No camera drivers required. And since I use
    two or three different makes of camera, it just cuts down on the hard
    drive and system overhead. Also, card readers appear to be faster.

    Stef
    Stefan Patric, Jan 29, 2008
  8. Gordon MacPherson

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Gordon MacPherson wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I know this is an old topic but would value refreshment. I normally download
    > from my Canon 350d to PC using Canon's ZoomBrowser Ex via USB. I find this
    > not too slow and it automatically puts files into the directory I want. I
    > notice that some posters recommend a card reader.
    > Are there advantages to using a reader, or disadvantages to using
    > Zoombrowser of which I may be unaware?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gordon

    It depends, greatly, on the firmware, and interface, in the camera. IF
    your camera has a USB 2.0 Highspeed, or Firewire, interface, then
    downloading from the camera is fine. If not, a card reader with these
    features would save you a great deal of time, as well as avoiding the
    possibility of the camera getting pulled off the desk by children or
    pets during what might be a 30 minute transfer.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 30, 2008
  9. On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 23:47:10 GMT, Stefan Patric <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:13:13 +0000, Gordon MacPherson wrote:
    >
    >> I know this is an old topic but would value refreshment. I normally
    >> download from my Canon 350d to PC using Canon's ZoomBrowser Ex via USB.
    >> I find this not too slow and it automatically puts files into the
    >> directory I want. I notice that some posters recommend a card reader.
    >> Are there advantages to using a reader, or disadvantages to using
    >> Zoombrowser of which I may be unaware?

    >I prefer a USB card reader. No camera drivers required. And since I use
    >two or three different makes of camera, it just cuts down on the hard
    >drive and system overhead. Also, card readers appear to be faster.

    Not to mention less wear and tear on batteries...which is my main
    reason
    The Horny Goat, Jan 30, 2008