Card reader suddenly not recognized (XP SP2)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TommyC, Feb 8, 2007.

  1. TommyC

    TommyC Guest

    I have an inexpensive PNY 8-in-1 card reader that I bought at BJs (US
    discount house). It's worked great for the three years I've had it, but
    it suddenly stopped working.

    When I start my XP SP 2 computer, I get a little warning bubble in the
    system tray on startup saying I have an unrecognized device, and to plug
    it in again. But it remains unrecognized. If I look in device manager,
    I have a long list of USB devices, but it says "unrecognized USB device"
    or something to that effect for the card reader.

    Using the same reader and USB cable on a different computer, the reader
    works fine.

    The other USB devices on this computer work fine, and I've tried
    plugging everything into different USB ports.

    I have tried uninstalling the card reader alone, and all the USB
    devices, and restarting the computer. The card reader alone fails to
    install.

    The PNY web site specifically says that this model card reader only
    requires drivers for Win98 and it's plug and play after that.

    Right now, I am trying another trick I read on the web: I have powered
    the XP computer down and unplugged it and I'm letting it sit unplugged
    for 30 minutes. I have read that this has actually worked at times in
    getting unrecognized devices to be rerecognized. I can't provide more
    specific information about the problem because the computer in question
    is now turned off.

    But I'd like to hear the thoughts of people about this issue and how it
    might be resolved. Again, the same reader/cable combination work fine
    on a different computer, and every other USB device on the computer
    works fine, independent of what port I plug them into.

    TommyC, Feb 8, 2007

  2. TommyC

    TommyC Guest

    In article <>,
    TommyC <> wrote:

    > I have an inexpensive PNY 8-in-1 card reader that I bought at BJs (US
    > discount house). It's worked great for the three years I've had it, but
    > it suddenly stopped working.

    [snip]

    > Right now, I am trying another trick I read on the web: I have powered
    > the XP computer down and unplugged it and I'm letting it sit unplugged
    > for 30 minutes. I have read that this has actually worked at times in
    > getting unrecognized devices to be rerecognized.

    Okay, it worked for me too. Computer was powered down and unplugged for
    30 minutes, and when I restarted it, it recognized the card reader.
    Very weird, and I'd still like to know what went wrong, but at least in
    the end it went right for me.

    TommyC, Feb 8, 2007

  3. TommyC

    Toby Guest

    In article <>,
    TommyC <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > TommyC <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have an inexpensive PNY 8-in-1 card reader that I bought at BJs (US
    > > discount house). It's worked great for the three years I've had it, but
    > > it suddenly stopped working.
    > >

    > [snip]
    >

    > > Right now, I am trying another trick I read on the web: I have powered
    > > the XP computer down and unplugged it and I'm letting it sit unplugged
    > > for 30 minutes. I have read that this has actually worked at times in
    > > getting unrecognized devices to be rerecognized.

    > Okay, it worked for me too. Computer was powered down and unplugged for
    > 30 minutes, and when I restarted it, it recognized the card reader.
    > Very weird, and I'd still like to know what went wrong, but at least in
    > the end it went right for me.

    On my Mac just un-plugging the card reader for about five seconds and
    then plugging it in again makes it work.

    Why does an XP computer require 30 minutes to get un-constipated.

    Toby, Feb 8, 2007
  4. >>>>> Why does an XP computer require 30 minutes to get un-constipated.

    Sometimes I have to remove my card reader for 2 seconds from my XP computer
    then re-insert it before it is recognized. The question I have is why it
    takes close to 40 minutes for a Mac user in this thread to take a dump?

    Douglas W Hoyt, Feb 8, 2007
  5. TommyC

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Toby wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > TommyC <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> TommyC <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have an inexpensive PNY 8-in-1 card reader that I bought at BJs (US
    >>> discount house). It's worked great for the three years I've had it, but
    >>> it suddenly stopped working.
    >>>

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> Right now, I am trying another trick I read on the web: I have powered
    >>> the XP computer down and unplugged it and I'm letting it sit unplugged
    >>> for 30 minutes. I have read that this has actually worked at times in
    >>> getting unrecognized devices to be rerecognized.

    >> Okay, it worked for me too. Computer was powered down and unplugged for
    >> 30 minutes, and when I restarted it, it recognized the card reader.
    >> Very weird, and I'd still like to know what went wrong, but at least in
    >> the end it went right for me.

    > On my Mac just un-plugging the card reader for about five seconds and
    > then plugging it in again makes it work.
    >
    > Why does an XP computer require 30 minutes to get un-constipated.

    Half an hour is probably a bit conservative, but a quick off/on doesn't
    always do it. My winxp boots slowly with a micro cruzer plugged in and
    the drive is not recognized, fine when I hot install. This is a bios
    issue as well, my machine is over a couple of years old. I don't have
    this problem with a pny flash drive or card reader. Just for the heck of
    it take a look at the bios settings and see anything has changed there.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Feb 8, 2007
  6. TommyC

    Toby Guest

    In article <qmwyh.100$>,
    "Douglas W Hoyt" <> wrote:

    > Sometimes I have to remove my card reader for 2 seconds from my XP computer
    > then re-insert it before it is recognized. The question I have is why it
    > takes close to 40 minutes for a Mac user in this thread to take a dump?

    Gee, when was that discussed and concluded? Or is scatology the driving
    force behind the Windoz clan.

    Toby, Feb 8, 2007
  7. TommyC

    SkyWatcher Guest

    TommyC <> wrote in news:m-1E369B.19531307022007
    @news.mozilla.giganews.com:

    > I have an inexpensive PNY 8-in-1 card reader that I bought at BJs (US
    > discount house). It's worked great for the three years I've had it,

    but
    > it suddenly stopped working.
    >
    > When I start my XP SP 2 computer, I get a little warning bubble in the
    > system tray on startup saying I have an unrecognized device, and to

    plug
    > it in again. But it remains unrecognized. If I look in device

    manager,
    > I have a long list of USB devices, but it says "unrecognized USB

    device"
    > or something to that effect for the card reader.
    >
    > Using the same reader and USB cable on a different computer, the

    reader
    > works fine.
    >
    > The other USB devices on this computer work fine, and I've tried
    > plugging everything into different USB ports.
    >
    > I have tried uninstalling the card reader alone, and all the USB
    > devices, and restarting the computer. The card reader alone fails to
    > install.
    >
    > The PNY web site specifically says that this model card reader only
    > requires drivers for Win98 and it's plug and play after that.
    >
    > Right now, I am trying another trick I read on the web: I have

    powered
    > the XP computer down and unplugged it and I'm letting it sit unplugged
    > for 30 minutes. I have read that this has actually worked at times in
    > getting unrecognized devices to be rerecognized. I can't provide more
    > specific information about the problem because the computer in

    question
    > is now turned off.
    >
    > But I'd like to hear the thoughts of people about this issue and how

    it
    > might be resolved. Again, the same reader/cable combination work fine
    > on a different computer, and every other USB device on the computer
    > works fine, independent of what port I plug them into.

    i had this problem b-4 and the way i got it fixed was to run a registery
    cleaner, reboot, and everything was k.o.

    peace.

    SkyWatcher, Feb 8, 2007
  8. >>>Or is scatology the driving force behind the Windoz clan.

    The real question is why Mac afficianados never wear one in the pouring
    rain. (Very strange).

    Douglas W Hoyt, Feb 8, 2007
  9. TommyC

    Ron Hunter Guest

    TommyC wrote:
    > I have an inexpensive PNY 8-in-1 card reader that I bought at BJs (US
    > discount house). It's worked great for the three years I've had it, but
    > it suddenly stopped working.
    >
    > When I start my XP SP 2 computer, I get a little warning bubble in the
    > system tray on startup saying I have an unrecognized device, and to plug
    > it in again. But it remains unrecognized. If I look in device manager,
    > I have a long list of USB devices, but it says "unrecognized USB device"
    > or something to that effect for the card reader.
    >
    > Using the same reader and USB cable on a different computer, the reader
    > works fine.
    >
    > The other USB devices on this computer work fine, and I've tried
    > plugging everything into different USB ports.
    >
    > I have tried uninstalling the card reader alone, and all the USB
    > devices, and restarting the computer. The card reader alone fails to
    > install.
    >
    > The PNY web site specifically says that this model card reader only
    > requires drivers for Win98 and it's plug and play after that.
    >
    > Right now, I am trying another trick I read on the web: I have powered
    > the XP computer down and unplugged it and I'm letting it sit unplugged
    > for 30 minutes. I have read that this has actually worked at times in
    > getting unrecognized devices to be rerecognized. I can't provide more
    > specific information about the problem because the computer in question
    > is now turned off.
    >
    > But I'd like to hear the thoughts of people about this issue and how it
    > might be resolved. Again, the same reader/cable combination work fine
    > on a different computer, and every other USB device on the computer
    > works fine, independent of what port I plug them into.

    "It's dead Jim".

    There are any number of fine card readers available for under $10. Buy
    one, and stop worrying about it.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 8, 2007
  10. TommyC

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Toby wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > TommyC <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> TommyC <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have an inexpensive PNY 8-in-1 card reader that I bought at BJs (US
    >>> discount house). It's worked great for the three years I've had it, but
    >>> it suddenly stopped working.
    >>>

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> Right now, I am trying another trick I read on the web: I have powered
    >>> the XP computer down and unplugged it and I'm letting it sit unplugged
    >>> for 30 minutes. I have read that this has actually worked at times in
    >>> getting unrecognized devices to be rerecognized.

    >> Okay, it worked for me too. Computer was powered down and unplugged for
    >> 30 minutes, and when I restarted it, it recognized the card reader.
    >> Very weird, and I'd still like to know what went wrong, but at least in
    >> the end it went right for me.

    > On my Mac just un-plugging the card reader for about five seconds and
    > then plugging it in again makes it work.
    >
    > Why does an XP computer require 30 minutes to get un-constipated.

    It doesn't. That's to let the user get unstressed. Grin.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 8, 2007
  11. TommyC

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Toby wrote:

    >> Sometimes I have to remove my card reader for 2 seconds from my XP computer
    >> then re-insert it before it is recognized. The question I have is why it
    >> takes close to 40 minutes for a Mac user in this thread to take a dump?

    > Gee, when was that discussed and concluded? Or is scatology the driving
    > force behind the Windoz clan.

    ?? Who brought up the subject?

    Ron Hunter, Feb 8, 2007
  12. TommyC

    Cgiorgio Guest

    "TommyC" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >I have an inexpensive PNY 8-in-1 card reader that I bought at BJs (US
    > discount house). It's worked great for the three years I've had it, but
    > it suddenly stopped working.
    >
    > When I start my XP SP 2 computer, I get a little warning bubble in the
    > system tray on startup saying I have an unrecognized device, and to plug
    > it in again. But it remains unrecognized. If I look in device manager,
    > I have a long list of USB devices, but it says "unrecognized USB device"
    > or something to that effect for the card reader.
    >
    > Using the same reader and USB cable on a different computer, the reader
    > works fine.
    >
    > The other USB devices on this computer work fine, and I've tried
    > plugging everything into different USB ports.
    >
    > I have tried uninstalling the card reader alone, and all the USB
    > devices, and restarting the computer. The card reader alone fails to
    > install.
    >
    > The PNY web site specifically says that this model card reader only
    > requires drivers for Win98 and it's plug and play after that.
    >
    > Right now, I am trying another trick I read on the web: I have powered
    > the XP computer down and unplugged it and I'm letting it sit unplugged
    > for 30 minutes. I have read that this has actually worked at times in
    > getting unrecognized devices to be rerecognized. I can't provide more
    > specific information about the problem because the computer in question
    > is now turned off.
    >
    > But I'd like to hear the thoughts of people about this issue and how it
    > might be resolved. Again, the same reader/cable combination work fine
    > on a different computer, and every other USB device on the computer
    > works fine, independent of what port I plug them into.

    HP's digicams come with a CD full of pretty useless software (about as
    powerful as the Kodak stuff), but it includes a precious little utility that
    is called "HP System Diagnostics". That utility allows to remove references
    to items like cameras, card readers and so on from the Windows registry
    giving you a chance to re - install. Otherwise Windows just keeps adding new
    devices (drives, storage volumes, USB - devices etc. ) in the registry until
    it becomes confused at some point. It is very hard to remove such
    information with regedit, but with the HP utility it can be done in a snap.

    The utility can be downloaded from the HP website at:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=90125&dlc=en&lang=en

    If the cardreader still does not work after removing the references to it in
    the "devices" tab of the utility, re-booting Windows and re-connecting it,
    it is probably defective.

    Cgiorgio, Feb 8, 2007
  13. TommyC

    Recycle THIS Guest

    "Douglas W Hoyt" <> wrote in message

    > Sometimes I have to remove my card reader for 2 seconds from my XP
    > computer then re-insert it before it is recognized. The question I have
    > is why it takes close to 40 minutes for a Mac user in this thread to take
    > a dump?

    M ost
    A pplications
    C rash.
    I f
    N ot
    T he
    O perating
    S ystem
    H angs.

    Recycle THIS, Feb 8, 2007
  14. TommyC

    Recycle THIS Guest

    Recycle THIS <> Thou craven. Thou malapert.
    Thou scarlet sin. Thou credulous fool. Ye sniggered and ye reprimanded:

    /R/eactionary
    /E/thel who likes
    /C/rude
    /Y/ogurt making with