    What is the problem? Is it possibly that I have a CF card and this is a CD
    card reader??

    Mel
    MB_, Oct 26, 2004

  2. MB_

    GT40 Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:03:47 -0400, "MB_" <>
    wrote:

    >Help. I bought a Canon A75 digital camera.
    >
    >I then decided (based on advice from others on this group) to get a card
    >reader for it.
    >
    >I bought on Ebay a "Kingston USB compact flash card reader". But the card I
    >have is too thick --- it doesn't fit into the slot.
    >
    >What is the problem? Is it possibly that I have a CF card and this is a CD
    >card reader??

    Are you sure the camera takes CF cards? And the reader takes CF
    cards. If it doesn't fit there is something wrong
    GT40, Oct 26, 2004

  3. MB_

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Make sure you are putting it in the right way.

    Also -- there is CF1 and CF2. CF2 is thicker .. hard to imagine the
    Kinston reader would not deal with both, though.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Oct 26, 2004
  4. the cf card has tiny holes on one edge of the card... this edge should go in
    to the card reader first... also, the other edges are notched so that the
    card can only be inserted in one direction... either label side up or
    down... try both.

    Christopher Muto, Oct 26, 2004
  5. MB_

    tomcas Guest

    MB_ wrote:
    > Help. I bought a Canon A75 digital camera.
    >
    > I then decided (based on advice from others on this group) to get a card
    > reader for it.
    >
    > I bought on Ebay a "Kingston USB compact flash card reader". But the card I
    > have is too thick --- it doesn't fit into the slot.
    >
    > What is the problem? Is it possibly that I have a CF card and this is a CD
    > card reader??

    Is this the reader you bought?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43449&item=3846370479&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    Are you sure you have a CF card and have you used it in the camera yet?

    tomcas, Oct 26, 2004
  6. "MB_" <> writes:
    >Help. I bought a Canon A75 digital camera.

    >I bought on Ebay a "Kingston USB compact flash card reader". But the card I
    >have is too thick --- it doesn't fit into the slot.

    >What is the problem? Is it possibly that I have a CF card and this is a CD
    >card reader??

    The A75 takes CF cards, and only the thinner Type 1 CF, not the thicker
    type 2. So if it works in the camera, it's a type 1 CF.

    If the card is far too big to fit in the slot of the reader, the reader
    is actually designed for SD or MMC or Memory Stick or some form of flash
    memory card *other* than CF. You have the wrong reader.

    If the card looks like it ought to fit in the available slot, but just
    doesn't, chances are you're inserting the card upside down (the card and
    slot are keyed to fit only one way). Or there could be something jammed
    inside the reader, or a damaged or bent pin inside the reader. Look
    inside it with a light and a magnifier to check.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Oct 26, 2004
  7. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Tomcas and Dave:

    Yes, that is the correct item on Ebay that I purchased.
    (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43449&item=3846370479&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW).

    Yes, the card works fine in the camera.

    Dave, you said:

    If the card is far too big to fit in the slot of the reader, the reader
    > is actually designed for SD or MMC or Memory Stick or some form of flash
    > memory card *other* than CF. You have the wrong reader.

    This is EXACTLY the case. I'm trying to contact the seller, but so far he
    hasn't replied. Can you guys tell from the description?? It looks like I
    must have totally it, or was the description not clear? Hopefully, the
    seller will take back the item. As stated the card is clearly way too big
    for the slot.

    Mel

    MB_, Oct 26, 2004
  8. MB_

    GT40 Guest

    GT40, Oct 26, 2004
  9. "MB_" <> writes:

    >If the card is far too big to fit in the slot of the reader, the reader
    >> is actually designed for SD or MMC or Memory Stick or some form of flash
    >> memory card *other* than CF. You have the wrong reader.

    > This is EXACTLY the case. I'm trying to contact the seller, but so far he
    >hasn't replied. Can you guys tell from the description?? It looks like I
    >must have totally it, or was the description not clear? Hopefully, the
    >seller will take back the item. As stated the card is clearly way too big
    >for the slot.

    The guy describes it as a CF reader, but he's obviously wrong. It's
    probably a "flash memory reader" for some type of card, just not
    Compact Flash. Perhaps the seller doesn't understand that. There is
    no photo, so we can't guess what it really is.

    In retrospect, you probably shouldn't have bought it without an exact
    model number in the listing, or a photo that allows you to identify the
    model. It's unfortunately common for ebay sellers to know nothing
    about what they are selling.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Oct 26, 2004
  10. MB_

    tomcas Guest

    MB_ wrote:
    > Tomcas and Dave:
    >
    > Yes, that is the correct item on Ebay that I purchased.
    > (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43449&item=3846370479&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW).
    >

    > Yes, the card works fine in the camera.
    >
    > Dave, you said:
    >
    > If the card is far too big to fit in the slot of the reader, the reader
    >
    >>is actually designed for SD or MMC or Memory Stick or some form of flash
    >>memory card *other* than CF. You have the wrong reader.
    >>

    > This is EXACTLY the case. I'm trying to contact the seller, but so far he
    > hasn't replied. Can you guys tell from the description?? It looks like I
    > must have totally it, or was the description not clear? Hopefully, the
    > seller will take back the item. As stated the card is clearly way too big
    > for the slot.
    >
    > Mel
    >

    > "Dave Martindale" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"MB_" <> writes:
    >>
    >>>Help. I bought a Canon A75 digital camera.

    >>>I bought on Ebay a "Kingston USB compact flash card reader". But the card
    >>>have is too thick --- it doesn't fit into the slot.

    >>>What is the problem? Is it possibly that I have a CF card and this is a CD
    >>>card reader??

    >>The A75 takes CF cards, and only the thinner Type 1 CF, not the thicker
    >>type 2. So if it works in the camera, it's a type 1 CF.
    >>
    >>If the card is far too big to fit in the slot of the reader, the reader
    >>is actually designed for SD or MMC or Memory Stick or some form of flash
    >>memory card *other* than CF. You have the wrong reader.
    >>
    >>If the card looks like it ought to fit in the available slot, but just
    >>doesn't, chances are you're inserting the card upside down (the card and
    >>slot are keyed to fit only one way). Or there could be something jammed
    >>inside the reader, or a damaged or bent pin inside the reader. Look
    >>inside it with a light and a magnifier to check.
    >>
    >>Dave

    Officemax frequently has a compact flash reader for $10 with a $10
    rebate. They are very small and handy but be careful you don't insert
    the card in the wrong way or else the pins can be bent. Why don't you
    just download through the camera cable until you see one on sale.
    tomcas, Oct 26, 2004
  11. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Yep, that's exactly what I'm doing.

    The seller acknowledged there was an error. I'm going to return it and he
    will refund my $$$.

    That's one of the reasons I try to only buy from sellers with a very good
    feedback rating!!

    Mel

    MB_, Oct 27, 2004
  12. circuit city has the sandisk 8 in 1 usb 2.0 card reader model sddr-88-07 for
    $9.99 this week (in store only). won't have a media compatibility with this
    unit...

    Christopher Muto, Oct 27, 2004
  13. MB_

    MB_ Guest