    Thanks for any advice/help

    Lou

    Email:

    Lou Leciejewski, Mar 11, 2006

  2. Lou Leciejewski wrote:
    > I won an Olympus D-360L Digital Camera (SmartMedia) and would like to
    > but a card reader that would work with SmartMedia and Windows 98
    > (First Edition) and a PC which has a speed of 400MHZ. I bought a
    > Dazzle Card Reader from CompUSA that reads SmartMedia but it won't
    > work with my Windows 98. Are there ANY card readers out there that
    > will work with First Edition Win98? I was told none will and that my
    > 400MHZ speed is also a problem. The Dazzle unit I had ran at minimum
    > 500MHZ. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice/help
    >
    > Lou
    >
    > Email:

    Lots of readers will work with Win98SE, but you need the Cd-rom which has
    the Win98SE drivers.

    Some of the card readers have this included. Others will tell you to
    download it from their websites.

    dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Mar 11, 2006

  3. Lou Leciejewski

    Stacey Guest

    Lou Leciejewski wrote:

    > I won an Olympus D-360L Digital Camera (SmartMedia) and would like to but
    > a card reader that would work with SmartMedia and Windows 98 (First
    > Edition) and a PC which has a speed of 400MHZ. I bought a Dazzle Card
    > Reader from CompUSA that reads SmartMedia but it won't work with my
    > Windows 98. Are there ANY card readers out there that will work with First
    > Edition Win98? I was told none will and that my 400MHZ speed is also a
    > problem. The Dazzle unit I had ran at minimum 500MHZ. Any suggestions?

    The processor speed shouldn't matter. Lots of drivers officially only
    support 98SE but still work with the first version. =ANY= card reader needs
    drivers specific to that reader to work with win98.
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Mar 11, 2006
  4. Lou Leciejewski

    Bob Williams Guest

    Lou Leciejewski wrote:

    > I won an Olympus D-360L Digital Camera (SmartMedia) and would like to but a
    > card reader that would work with SmartMedia and Windows 98 (First Edition)
    > and a PC which has a speed of 400MHZ. I bought a Dazzle Card Reader from
    > CompUSA that reads SmartMedia but it won't work with my Windows 98. Are
    > there ANY card readers out there that will work with First Edition Win98? I
    > was told none will and that my 400MHZ speed is also a problem. The Dazzle
    > unit I had ran at minimum 500MHZ. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice/help
    >
    > Lou
    >
    > Email:

    Most versions of Win 98 (First Edition) do NOT support the USB Interface.
    Second Edition DOES support USB.
    Have you upgraded your Win 98(FE) to Win 98 SE?
    How are you connecting the Card Reader to your computer?
    Whichever version you have, you will need some driver software to make
    the computer recognize and play with the reader.
    You should check the Dazzle Website and see if they have a driver for
    your card reader and win 98.
    BTW, the 400MHz CPU speed should not be a limitation or even a concern.
    Advice:
    Save your pennies and buy a NEW modern computer with a 2+GHz CPU, Win Xp
    and built in Card readers. It will GREATLY enhance your computer enjoyment.
    There are some dynamite deals on Entry level desktops.
    (Today's Entry Level Computer was Bleeding Edge Technology 2 years ago).
    See for instance: http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T3304
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Mar 11, 2006
  5. Lou Leciejewski

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message

    > Lou Leciejewski wrote:
    >
    >> I won an Olympus D-360L Digital Camera (SmartMedia) and would like to but
    >> a card reader that would work with SmartMedia and Windows 98 (First
    >> Edition) and a PC which has a speed of 400MHZ. I bought a Dazzle Card
    >> Reader from CompUSA that reads SmartMedia but it won't work with my
    >> Windows 98. Are there ANY card readers out there that will work with
    >> First Edition Win98? I was told none will and that my 400MHZ speed is
    >> also a problem. The Dazzle unit I had ran at minimum 500MHZ. Any
    >> suggestions? Thanks for any advice/help
    >>
    >> Lou
    >>
    >> Email:
    >>

    > Most versions of Win 98 (First Edition) do NOT support the USB Interface.
    > Second Edition DOES support USB.
    > Have you upgraded your Win 98(FE) to Win 98 SE?
    > How are you connecting the Card Reader to your computer?
    > Whichever version you have, you will need some driver software to make the
    > computer recognize and play with the reader.
    > You should check the Dazzle Website and see if they have a driver for your
    > card reader and win 98.
    > BTW, the 400MHz CPU speed should not be a limitation or even a concern.
    > Advice:
    > Save your pennies and buy a NEW modern computer with a 2+GHz CPU, Win Xp
    > and built in Card readers. It will GREATLY enhance your computer
    > enjoyment.
    > There are some dynamite deals on Entry level desktops.
    > (Today's Entry Level Computer was Bleeding Edge Technology 2 years ago).
    > See for instance:
    > http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T3304
    > Bob Williams

    The usb support under win98 is not as robust as later machines running winxp
    and some devices on some installations can be/are troublesome.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Mar 11, 2006
  6. In article <Xns978371D619F07garfieldanetcom@216.168.3.44>, Lou
    Leciejewski <> wrote:

    > I won an Olympus D-360L Digital Camera (SmartMedia) and would like to but a
    > card reader that would work with SmartMedia and Windows 98 (First Edition)
    > and a PC which has a speed of 400MHZ. I bought a Dazzle Card Reader from
    > CompUSA that reads SmartMedia but it won't work with my Windows 98. Are
    > there ANY card readers out there that will work with First Edition Win98? I
    > was told none will and that my 400MHZ speed is also a problem. The Dazzle
    > unit I had ran at minimum 500MHZ. Any suggestions?

    The original release of Windows 98 had poorUSB support. Looks like it's
    time for a new computer.

    Randall Ainsworth, Mar 11, 2006
  7. Lou Leciejewski

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Xns978371D619F07garfieldanetcom@216.168.3.44>, Lou
    > Leciejewski <> wrote:
    >
    >> I won an Olympus D-360L Digital Camera (SmartMedia) and would like to but
    >> card reader that would work with SmartMedia and Windows 98 (First
    >> Edition)
    >> and a PC which has a speed of 400MHZ. I bought a Dazzle Card Reader from
    >> CompUSA that reads SmartMedia but it won't work with my Windows 98. Are
    >> there ANY card readers out there that will work with First Edition Win98?
    >> was told none will and that my 400MHZ speed is also a problem. The Dazzle
    >> unit I had ran at minimum 500MHZ. Any suggestions?

    > The original release of Windows 98 had poorUSB support. Looks like it's
    > time for a new computer.

    Randall, my problems have been with win98se. The problem items are sandisk
    cruzer micro (ok on some win98se machines not others) and a visioneer usb
    scanner. In each case I have vendor's drivers. These are recent purchases
    and I suspect:
    1. Vendors aren't busting their butts over win98se
    2. Possible bios problem.

    Let's hope that with a new generation of windows software and 64 bit
    processors we don't get screwed again.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Mar 12, 2006
  8. In article <rtLQf.254$Ub.58@trndny07>, Dave Cohen <>
    wrote:

    > Randall, my problems have been with win98se. The problem items are sandisk
    > cruzer micro (ok on some win98se machines not others) and a visioneer usb
    > scanner. In each case I have vendor's drivers. These are recent purchases
    > and I suspect:
    > 1. Vendors aren't busting their butts over win98se
    > 2. Possible bios problem.

    Support for anything except XP has largely gone by the wayside.

    > Let's hope that with a new generation of windows software and 64 bit
    > processors we don't get screwed again.

    Don't include me in there. My personal stuff is Macintosh.

    Randall Ainsworth, Mar 12, 2006
  9. Lou Leciejewski

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:09:38 -0000, Lou Leciejewski <> wrote:

    >I won an Olympus D-360L Digital Camera (SmartMedia) and would like to but a
    >card reader that would work with SmartMedia and Windows 98 (First Edition)
    >and a PC which has a speed of 400MHZ. I bought a Dazzle Card Reader from
    >CompUSA that reads SmartMedia but it won't work with my Windows 98. Are
    >there ANY card readers out there that will work with First Edition Win98? I
    >was told none will and that my 400MHZ speed is also a problem. The Dazzle
    >unit I had ran at minimum 500MHZ. Any suggestions?

    Why don't don't you just spend the twenty bucks and get a computer less than
    ten years old?

    400mhz is plenty to run windows 98 2nd edition or windows 2K as long as you have
    at least 128M.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 12, 2006
  10. Lou Leciejewski

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <Xns978371D619F07garfieldanetcom@216.168.3.44>, Lou
    >> Leciejewski <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I won an Olympus D-360L Digital Camera (SmartMedia) and would like to but
    >>> card reader that would work with SmartMedia and Windows 98 (First
    >>> Edition)
    >>> and a PC which has a speed of 400MHZ. I bought a Dazzle Card Reader from
    >>> CompUSA that reads SmartMedia but it won't work with my Windows 98. Are
    >>> there ANY card readers out there that will work with First Edition Win98?
    >>> was told none will and that my 400MHZ speed is also a problem. The Dazzle
    >>> unit I had ran at minimum 500MHZ. Any suggestions?

    >> The original release of Windows 98 had poorUSB support. Looks like it's
    >> time for a new computer.

    > Randall, my problems have been with win98se. The problem items are sandisk
    > cruzer micro (ok on some win98se machines not others) and a visioneer usb
    > scanner. In each case I have vendor's drivers. These are recent purchases
    > and I suspect:
    > 1. Vendors aren't busting their butts over win98se
    > 2. Possible bios problem.
    >
    > Let's hope that with a new generation of windows software and 64 bit
    > processors we don't get screwed again.
    > Dave Cohen

    There is no protection against a computer being passed by in the
    software, hardware, or driver market. If you wait long enough, then
    your computer won't be able to be upgraded enough to do what the newer
    ones do. Win98 had very minimal USB support, and it may be that the
    BIOS just isn't able to handle the drivers for your USB device. It's a
    fact of life that things don't last forever, even if they continue to
    work as they did when you bought them, it doesn't mean they will always
    be able to do the things you now want to do. I just upgraded my old
    computer to an AMD Athlon 64, for just exactly this reason.
    My wife said it should last 5 years. I told her that 3 was more likely.
    Frankly, if it lasts 3 years, then it has cost me about $.75 a day,
    and a lot less than she spends on HER hobby (Bingo) in a few months.
    Of course, if one hasn't the money to buy a new computer (or a camera
    that uses something newer than Smartmedia cards), then one must accept
    the limitations this imposes. Been there, done that.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 12, 2006
  11. Lou Leciejewski

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <rtLQf.254$Ub.58@trndny07>, Dave Cohen <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Randall, my problems have been with win98se. The problem items are sandisk
    >> cruzer micro (ok on some win98se machines not others) and a visioneer usb
    >> scanner. In each case I have vendor's drivers. These are recent purchases
    >> and I suspect:
    >> 1. Vendors aren't busting their butts over win98se
    >> 2. Possible bios problem.

    > Support for anything except XP has largely gone by the wayside.
    >
    >> Let's hope that with a new generation of windows software and 64 bit
    >> processors we don't get screwed again.

    > Don't include me in there. My personal stuff is Macintosh.

    Don't look now, but Apple has switched processors. This is certain to
    impact users of the older processors in the not to distant future.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 12, 2006
  12. In article <>, Ron Hunter
    <> wrote:

    > Don't look now, but Apple has switched processors. This is certain to
    > impact users of the older processors in the not to distant future.

    I'm well aware of that. I got to play with a new MacBook Pro the other
    day and was quite impressed. And there's still no way I'd go back to
    Windows.

    Randall Ainsworth, Mar 12, 2006
  13. Lou Leciejewski

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    wrote:

    > Randall, my problems have been with win98se. The problem items are sandisk
    > cruzer micro (ok on some win98se machines not others) and a visioneer usb
    > scanner. In each case I have vendor's drivers. These are recent purchases
    > and I suspect:
    > 1. Vendors aren't busting their butts over win98se
    > 2. Possible bios problem.
    >
    > Let's hope that with a new generation of windows software and 64 bit
    > processors we don't get screwed again.

    Or, buy a new Intel based Apple Mac and don't worry about it.

    Shawn Hirn, Mar 12, 2006
  14. Lou Leciejewski

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <>, Ron Hunter
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Don't look now, but Apple has switched processors. This is certain to
    >> impact users of the older processors in the not to distant future.

    > I'm well aware of that. I got to play with a new MacBook Pro the other
    > day and was quite impressed. And there's still no way I'd go back to
    > Windows.

    Nevertheless, it will make 'backwards compatibility' a problem for those
    who want a newer machine, but want to use the old software...

    Ron Hunter, Mar 12, 2006
  15. Lou Leciejewski

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:40:57 -0500, Shawn Hirn <>
    wrote:

    >In article <rtLQf.254$Ub.58@trndny07>, "Dave Cohen" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >> Randall, my problems have been with win98se. The problem items are sandisk
    >> cruzer micro (ok on some win98se machines not others) and a visioneer usb
    >> scanner. In each case I have vendor's drivers. These are recent purchases
    >> and I suspect:
    >> 1. Vendors aren't busting their butts over win98se
    >> 2. Possible bios problem.
    >>
    >> Let's hope that with a new generation of windows software and 64 bit
    >> processors we don't get screwed again.

    >Or, buy a new Intel based Apple Mac and don't worry about it.

    Or, buy a new Windows machine and don't worry about it.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Mar 13, 2006
  16. In article <>, Bill Funk
    <> wrote:

    > Or, buy a new Windows machine and don't worry about it.

    I'll give up my Macs when they pry my dead, cold fingers from around
    them.

    Randall Ainsworth, Mar 13, 2006
  17. Lou Leciejewski

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:19:29 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Bill Funk
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Or, buy a new Windows machine and don't worry about it.

    >I'll give up my Macs when they pry my dead, cold fingers from around
    >them.

    OK by me.
    My point was this: buying *either* machine would solve the problem.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Mar 13, 2006
  18. Lou Leciejewski

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:40:57 -0500, Shawn Hirn <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In article <rtLQf.254$Ub.58@trndny07>, "Dave Cohen" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Randall, my problems have been with win98se. The problem items are sandisk
    >>> cruzer micro (ok on some win98se machines not others) and a visioneer usb
    >>> scanner. In each case I have vendor's drivers. These are recent purchases
    >>> and I suspect:
    >>> 1. Vendors aren't busting their butts over win98se
    >>> 2. Possible bios problem.
    >>>
    >>> Let's hope that with a new generation of windows software and 64 bit
    >>> processors we don't get screwed again.

    >> Or, buy a new Intel based Apple Mac and don't worry about it.

    > Or, buy a new Windows machine and don't worry about it.

    Well, I just bought a new 64 bit WinXP Media Edition (just XP Pro with
    some flashy cartoonish stuff added). No problems with any software yet,
    except it runs faster, some programs a LOT faster!

    Ron Hunter, Mar 13, 2006
  19. Lou Leciejewski

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <>, Bill Funk
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Or, buy a new Windows machine and don't worry about it.

    > I'll give up my Macs when they pry my dead, cold fingers from around
    > them.

    So how do you feel about the shift in processors to the Intel 'standard'?

    Ron Hunter, Mar 13, 2006
  20. In article <>, Bill Funk
    <> wrote:

    > My point was this: buying *either* machine would solve the problem.

    Problems are only created by Windows.

    Randall Ainsworth, Mar 13, 2006