    Works fine as a drive in Windows, Read / Write, Copy / Paste etc, but
    nothing possible in camera.
    Anyone know if it's fixable?
    Beachcomber, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Beachcomber

    Clem Guest

    Use the formater that came with the reader or at least download one.

    clem

    --
    Remove "myeyes" to email me

    Clem, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Beachcomber

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Beachcomber wrote:

    > Olympus XD card formatted on Windows XP produces Card Error when trying to
    > format in camera.
    > Works fine as a drive in Windows, Read / Write, Copy / Paste etc, but
    > nothing possible in camera.
    > Anyone know if it's fixable?

    If it's a large card (256 or more MB) Windows might have
    formatted it using FAT32. Most cameras can only recognize
    cards formatted with FAT16.

    Try format it again.. The 'Format' window will have an
    option for "File System". Make sure FAT is selected and
    not FAT 32.
    Jim Townsend, Mar 15, 2005
  4. Beachcomber

    Beachcomber Guest

    > If it's a large card (256 or more MB) Windows might have
    > formatted it using FAT32. Most cameras can only recognize
    > cards formatted with FAT16.
    >
    > Try format it again.. The 'Format' window will have an
    > option for "File System". Make sure FAT is selected and
    > not FAT 32.

    It is formatted FAT not FAT 32, I'm thinking the in-Camera Format puts
    something on the card that Windows XP format can't.
    In Windows Explorer it behaves like any other drive, but when it is in the
    Camera the only choice I get is Format or Turn Off, selecting Format
    produces *Card Error!* and I can go no further.
    Beachcomber, Mar 15, 2005
  5. Beachcomber

    Drifter Guest

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:30:57 -0000, "Beachcomber" <>
    wrote:

    >> If it's a large card (256 or more MB) Windows might have
    >> formatted it using FAT32. Most cameras can only recognize
    >> cards formatted with FAT16.
    >>
    >> Try format it again.. The 'Format' window will have an
    >> option for "File System". Make sure FAT is selected and
    >> not FAT 32.
    >>

    >It is formatted FAT not FAT 32, I'm thinking the in-Camera Format puts
    >something on the card that Windows XP format can't.
    >In Windows Explorer it behaves like any other drive, but when it is in the
    >Camera the only choice I get is Format or Turn Off, selecting Format
    >produces *Card Error!* and I can go no further.

    Do other cards work in your camera? If not possibly the issue is with
    your camera not the card.

    Maybe try blowing out the card slot with some compressed air?

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Mar 16, 2005
  6. Beachcomber

    Beachcomber Guest

    > Do other cards work in your camera? If not possibly the issue is with
    > your camera not the card.
    >
    > Maybe try blowing out the card slot with some compressed air?

    Yes other cards worked ok
    I took it back to the shop this morning and they exchanged it quick as a
    flash without question.
    I had a looked on the net this afternoon and it seems that if you format an
    Olympus XD card in a card reader it becomes unusable in the Camera... I've
    read so many tales of woe about them today.
    The Olympus answer is to send it back to be re-formatted by them.

    Beachcomber, Mar 16, 2005