    I can help it!

    Tech details are: Olympus C350 Zoom, using an XD card

    Thanks in advance for your help and advice

    R. Murphy, Oct 11, 2005

  2. R. Murphy

    Juan Hanglow Guest

    http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/8691/142105.html

    Juan Hanglow, Oct 11, 2005

  3. R. Murphy

    traction Guest

    "R. Murphy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there -
    >
    > I've accidentally deleted jpegs from my XD card while downloading to my PC
    > using the card reader (instead of downloading via Camera) - Silly me!
    >
    > Now of course the camera, when switched on, wants to reformat the card -
    > but when I attempt to do so I get "Card Error"
    >
    > Anyone know of a clever piece of software - or a technique for formatting
    > the card so the camera can understand it? - don't want to scrap the card
    > if I can help it!
    >
    > Tech details are: Olympus C350 Zoom, using an XD card
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help and advice

    What sort of 'Format is it... Is it a quick Format, which just marks files
    as 'vacant' sectors, ( and so could fail if there's a sector problem) or a
    full Format. If its full, and it fails- chances are the card is duff, and
    irrecoverable.
    Also are you trying NTFS or what are the stats for the format.
    Try to format it in a camera, which is a little more robust usually , and if
    that fails, bin it, its likely to U/S.

    traction, Oct 11, 2005
  4. R. Murphy

    Bob Allison Guest

    In article <dih081$h65$>,
    "R. Murphy" <> wrote:

    > Anyone know of a clever piece of software - or a technique for formatting
    > the card so the camera can understand it? - don't want to scrap the card if
    > I can help it!
    >
    > Tech details are: Olympus C350 Zoom, using an XD card

    Usually the camera will format the card and you can start over. Check the
    manual

    --
    I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet

    Bob
    in Carmel, CA

    Bob Allison, Oct 11, 2005
  5. R. Murphy

    Juan Hanglow Guest

    "Bob Allison" <> wrote in message
    > In article <dih081$h65$>,
    > "R. Murphy" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know of a clever piece of software - or a technique for formatting
    >> the card so the camera can understand it? - don't want to scrap the card
    >> if
    >> I can help it!
    >>
    >> Tech details are: Olympus C350 Zoom, using an XD card

    > Usually the camera will format the card and you can start over. Check the
    > manual
    >
    > --
    > I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet
    >
    > Bob
    > in Carmel, CA

    you failed to READ the post...............

    Juan Hanglow, Oct 11, 2005
  6. R. Murphy

    poddys Guest

    It's kind of comforting to know there are other "stupids" out there
    besides me...
    I did exactly the same thing the first time I used my camera - took
    pictures of my wifes baby shower, connected up to the computer, checked
    all the photos (which were really good), deleted them from the card
    then found out I had forgotten to copy them to the hard drive (DUH!)...
    Lost the lot...

    The camera should reformat the card ok - after all it has to if you put
    a new card in right!

    Possibly you can get the files back if they are in the recycle bin?
    Good Luck - I feel for you losing the photos...

    poddys, Oct 11, 2005
  7. R. Murphy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    R. Murphy wrote:
    > Hi there -
    >
    > I've accidentally deleted jpegs from my XD card while downloading to my PC
    > using the card reader (instead of downloading via Camera) - Silly me!
    >
    > Now of course the camera, when switched on, wants to reformat the card - but
    > when I attempt to do so I get "Card Error"
    >
    > Anyone know of a clever piece of software - or a technique for formatting
    > the card so the camera can understand it? - don't want to scrap the card if
    > I can help it!
    >
    > Tech details are: Olympus C350 Zoom, using an XD card
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help and advice

    Well, it looks like you messed up something. It is usually not
    recommended that you format a card from a computer as some cameras won't
    like the card after that. Since xD cards are pretty much Olympus
    proprietary, I don't have any experience with them. If the card is
    under warranty, exchange it, and restrict yourself to deleting picture
    files from the camera in the future.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 12, 2005
  8. R. Murphy

    poddys Guest

    I never connect my camera to the computer since it's much faster to
    copy/delete pictures by putting the memory card into a card reader than
    using the camera (which isn't USB2.0). Also file manipulation chews
    through the camera batteries... Have had the camera power off more than
    once while copying files, and also you have to remember to power the
    camera off and disconnect as soon as the files have been copied to
    avoid the same.
    It's just a lot easier to manipulate things with the PC - I would hope
    none of the newer cameras have limitations so that you have to link the
    camera.
    If this is the case - hopefully Olympus have something that you can
    download from their web site to re-initialise the card.

    poddys, Oct 12, 2005
  9. R. Murphy

    R. Murphy Guest

    Precisely why I use the card reader - unfortunately all too easy to do a
    "Move" instead of a "Copy"!

    Olympus do not have a utility as far as I could tell from their
    downloads/FAQs etc.

    - anyone else have any knowledge of e.g. free-standing software.?

    R. Murphy, Oct 13, 2005
  10. R. Murphy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    R. Murphy wrote:
    > Precisely why I use the card reader - unfortunately all too easy to do a
    > "Move" instead of a "Copy"!
    >
    > Olympus do not have a utility as far as I could tell from their
    > downloads/FAQs etc.
    >
    > - anyone else have any knowledge of e.g. free-standing software.?
    >
    > "poddys" <> wrote in message
    >> I never connect my camera to the computer since it's much faster to
    >> copy/delete pictures by putting the memory card into a card reader than
    >> using the camera (which isn't USB2.0). Also file manipulation chews
    >> through the camera batteries... Have had the camera power off more than
    >> once while copying files, and also you have to remember to power the
    >> camera off and disconnect as soon as the files have been copied to
    >> avoid the same.
    >> It's just a lot easier to manipulate things with the PC - I would hope
    >> none of the newer cameras have limitations so that you have to link the
    >> camera.
    >> If this is the case - hopefully Olympus have something that you can
    >> download from their web site to re-initialise the card.

    I often use a card reader, and Windows Explorer for transfering
    pictures, and I don't see how you find it easy to 'move', rather than
    'copy'. The default is to copy from one medium to the other, and you
    have to hold down a key to change this function. Just pay attention to
    what you are doing.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Oct 14, 2005
  11. R. Murphy

    poddys Guest

    Being totally paranoid these days with regard to losing photos, I
    always copy the latest ones to the pc and leave them on the card for a
    month before deleting them. Cards are cheap enough these days to
    afford that luxury...
    I also then backup my main pc to 3 others - just in case.... as well as
    storing CD/DVD backups as the bank.

    poddys, Oct 14, 2005
  12. poddys wrote:
    > Being totally paranoid these days with regard to losing photos, I
    > always copy the latest ones to the pc and leave them on the card for a
    > month before deleting them. Cards are cheap enough these days to
    > afford that luxury...
    > I also then backup my main pc to 3 others - just in case.... as well
    > as storing CD/DVD backups as the bank.

    Have you ever had to recover files from your backups?

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 14, 2005
  13. R. Murphy

    R. Murphy Guest

    What on earth has all this to do with my original query?

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:ICP3f.129008$...

    R. Murphy, Oct 14, 2005