Car Wifi (ping Dave.net)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. Your closer to real life than you think with your in-car wifi

    Auto makers to create car-to-car WLAN by 2006 | The Register
    "Car makers BMW, Audi, Daimler Chrysler, Volkswagen, Renault and Fiat
    have won a German government grant to help develop the basis for a
    standard method for car-to-car wireless data.

    The money will be used by Network on Wheels (NOW), a project run out of
    the University of Mannheim with the participation of Karlsruhe Technical
    University. NOW is funded in part by the German 'Ministry for R&D'; the
    Car2Car Communication Consortium, a non-profit organisation founded by
    said vehicle manufacturers; Siemens; NEC; and the Fraunhofer Institute,
    itself better known as the home of the MP3 format."
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/21/car_to_car_wifi/

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Collector»NZ

    DoggNZ Guest

    DoggNZ, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Collector»NZ

    DoggNZ Guest

    DoggNZ, Dec 21, 2004
  4. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Your closer to real life than you think with your in-car wifi

    heh, nice... I wonder whether or not they'll have a "sound off" contest
    at car shows to see who has the "loudest" wifi :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 22, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 22, 2004
  6. Collector»NZ

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:21:29 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <>
    wrote:

    >Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> Your closer to real life than you think with your in-car wifi

    >heh, nice... I wonder whether or not they'll have a "sound off" contest
    >at car shows to see who has the "loudest" wifi :)

    I wonder if all the boy racers will pull up at a car park and have a lan party?
    :)

    It'll take pirating to a new level, people will be copying movies from the car
    next to them when they pull up at the lights!

    Craig Shore, Dec 22, 2004
  7. Collector»NZ

    Craig Shore, Dec 22, 2004
  8. Craig Shore wrote:
    >>>Your closer to real life than you think with your in-car wifi

    >>heh, nice... I wonder whether or not they'll have a "sound off" contest
    >>at car shows to see who has the "loudest" wifi :)

    > I wonder if all the boy racers will pull up at a car park and have a lan party?
    > :)

    > It'll take pirating to a new level, people will be copying movies from the car
    > next to them when they pull up at the lights!

    you'd have to have better than 802.11g then... ~6Mbytes a sec, you'd
    have to be sitting there for 100 seconds(at best) for a divx of a movie,
    might take off in auckland.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 22, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 22, 2004
  10. Collector»NZ

    David Guest

    DoggNZ wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:22:13 +1300, Collector»NZ
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Your closer to real life than you think with your in-car wifi
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > Cool! Downloading porn while blasting down the Autobahn at 200Kph!
    >
    > --
    > BOINC SETI
    > http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1469&trans=off

    The autobahn that is the auckland motorway system?

    David, Dec 24, 2004
  11. Collector»NZ

    David Guest

    David, Dec 24, 2004