Car rally photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Siddhartha Jain, Oct 24, 2005.

  1. Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted off the
    highway in Bombay by the private corporation's patrol that built and
    maintains the highway!!

    http://losttoy.smugmug.com/gallery/905568


    - Siddhartha
     
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 24, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Siddhartha Jain

    Neil Guest

    In message <>,
    Siddhartha Jain <> writes
    >Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted off the
    >highway in Bombay by the private corporation's patrol that built and
    >maintains the highway!!


    Well you saw a few cars go past! Nice photos.

    Did you take your tripod?

    I nearly got arrested on the Isle of Man when I was chasing the Manx
    Rally around for walking on the road between cars. Bureaucracy, eh?

    Regards
    --
    Neil Pugh
     
    Neil, Oct 24, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Siddhartha Jain

    [BnH] Guest

    [BnH], Oct 24, 2005
    #3
  4. Siddhartha Jain

    Mardon Guest

    "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote...
    > Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted
    > off the highway in Bombay by the private corporation's
    > patrol that built and maintains the highway!!
    > http://losttoy.smugmug.com/gallery/905568
    > - Siddhartha


    Maybe you should plan on coming to Newfoundland next fall and photographing
    TARGA Newfoundland. The rally is run on closed-off public roads and
    photography is encouraged. :) See some of the pics that I took with my
    little PowerShot G2 here: http://www.JustUs.ca/targa/
     
    Mardon, Oct 24, 2005
    #4
  5. Siddhartha Jain

    Frank ess Guest

    Mardon wrote:
    > "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote...
    >> Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted
    >> off the highway in Bombay by the private corporation's
    >> patrol that built and maintains the highway!!
    >> http://losttoy.smugmug.com/gallery/905568
    >> - Siddhartha

    >
    > Maybe you should plan on coming to Newfoundland next fall and
    > photographing TARGA Newfoundland. The rally is run on closed-off
    > public roads and photography is encouraged. :) See some of the
    > pics that I took with my little PowerShot G2 here:
    > http://www.JustUs.ca/targa/


    Excellent!

    TR7, A-H 100M, XK120MC Carrera Mexicana, XK120DHC...

    Thank you for the opportunity.

    --
    Frank ess
     
    Frank ess, Oct 24, 2005
    #5
  6. "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
    news:435cb216$0$8634$...
    >I think you could do better.
    >


    Not sure if the shutter speed was too low or AF didn't work. I would have
    pre-focused manually and either panned at around 1/160 (depending on speed)
    or made sure I was at 1/1000 if I wanted to stop the action.
     
    Dave R knows who, Oct 24, 2005
    #6
  7. Neil wrote:
    > In message <>,
    > Siddhartha Jain <> writes
    > >Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted off the
    > >highway in Bombay by the private corporation's patrol that built and
    > >maintains the highway!!

    >
    > Well you saw a few cars go past! Nice photos.
    >
    > Did you take your tripod?
    >
    > I nearly got arrested on the Isle of Man when I was chasing the Manx
    > Rally around for walking on the road between cars. Bureaucracy, eh?
    >
    > Regards
    > --
    > Neil Pugh


    Hey!! Nope, didn't take the tripod. It isn't easy to lug a tripod when
    you are being chased around ;-)

    - Siddhartha
     
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 25, 2005
    #7
  8. Dave R knows who wrote:
    > "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
    > news:435cb216$0$8634$...
    > >I think you could do better.
    > >

    >
    > Not sure if the shutter speed was too low or AF didn't work. I would have
    > pre-focused manually and either panned at around 1/160 (depending on speed)
    > or made sure I was at 1/1000 if I wanted to stop the action.


    All photos were in manual mode. Shutter: 1/125, Aperture: f/16 and
    pre-focussed since the neither the lens (Sigma 70-300mm) does AF fast
    enough nor the does the camera (Canon 300D) support AF-servo. I guess I
    should've swivelled faster to get crisper shots. Well, you shoot you
    learn :)

    - Siddhartha
     
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 25, 2005
    #8
  9. Siddhartha Jain

    Leonard Guest

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    > All photos were in manual mode. Shutter: 1/125, Aperture: f/16 and
    > pre-focussed since the neither the lens (Sigma 70-300mm) does AF fast
    > enough nor the does the camera (Canon 300D) support AF-servo. I guess I
    > should've swivelled faster to get crisper shots. Well, you shoot you
    > learn :)


    When I was shooting race cars with a Canon 300 (film), the AF was okay
    most of the time. Although servo AF can't be selected manually, the
    camera usually switched to it. I did have ring-usm on the lens which
    presumably helps.

    Here's what I tended to do -
    * set Tv and 1/180
    * follow a few cars without taking a shot, to practice the panning
    and get a feel for when the picture should be taken
    * start tracking the cars when they're still quite a way off
    * remember to fire early because of the offensively long time it
    took that camera to get the mirror out of the way

    - Len
     
    Leonard, Oct 25, 2005
    #9
  10. "Neil" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In message <>,
    > Siddhartha Jain <> writes
    >>Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted off the
    >>highway in Bombay by the private corporation's patrol that built and
    >>maintains the highway!!

    >
    > Well you saw a few cars go past! Nice photos.
    >
    > Did you take your tripod?
    >


    Tripod? To shoot moving cars? Only if you want some artsy streaks across the
    frame.
     
    Dave R knows who, Oct 25, 2005
    #10
  11. Siddhartha Jain

    Neil Pugh Guest

    In message <Pxw7f.828$>, Dave R knows who
    <> writes
    >> Did you take your tripod?
    >>

    >
    >Tripod? To shoot moving cars? Only if you want some artsy streaks across the
    >frame.
    >
    >

    This was following on from a previous thread. See:

    <http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.photo.digital/browse_thread/thread/
    60e05555f2d12f93/4523a4a90ff1145e?lnk=st&q=group:rec.photo.digital+insubj
    ect:car+insubject:rally&rnum=1&hl=en#4523a4a90ff1145e>

    Regards
    --
    Neil Pugh
     
    Neil Pugh, Oct 25, 2005
    #11
  12. Siddhartha Jain

    Paul Furman Guest

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    > Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted off the
    > highway in Bombay by the private corporation's patrol that built and
    > maintains the highway!!
    >
    > http://losttoy.smugmug.com/gallery/905568


    So what lens did you use?
     
    Paul Furman, Oct 26, 2005
    #12
  13. Paul Furman wrote:
    > Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    >
    > > Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted off the
    > > highway in Bombay by the private corporation's patrol that built and
    > > maintains the highway!!
    > >
    > > http://losttoy.smugmug.com/gallery/905568

    >
    > So what lens did you use?


    Its a lowly Sigma 70-300mm DL f/4-5.6. Other than Canon's "L" series,
    are there any good telephoto zooms (in roughly the 70-300 range) with
    fast AF without weighing a ton?

    - Siddhartha
     
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 26, 2005
    #13
  14. Leonard wrote:
    > Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    >
    > > All photos were in manual mode. Shutter: 1/125, Aperture: f/16 and
    > > pre-focussed since the neither the lens (Sigma 70-300mm) does AF fast
    > > enough nor the does the camera (Canon 300D) support AF-servo. I guess I
    > > should've swivelled faster to get crisper shots. Well, you shoot you
    > > learn :)

    >
    > When I was shooting race cars with a Canon 300 (film), the AF was okay
    > most of the time. Although servo AF can't be selected manually, the
    > camera usually switched to it. I did have ring-usm on the lens which
    > presumably helps.
    >
    > Here's what I tended to do -
    > * set Tv and 1/180
    > * follow a few cars without taking a shot, to practice the panning
    > and get a feel for when the picture should be taken
    > * start tracking the cars when they're still quite a way off
    > * remember to fire early because of the offensively long time it
    > took that camera to get the mirror out of the way
    >
    > - Len


    Yep, I definitely needed to pan faster. My friend was shooting with his
    Nikon D70 and a Nikkor 70-300mm lens and his shots are sharper. We
    concluded that this was because he was panning faster than me.

    Interestingly, everytime I fired when the car was in the middle of the
    viewfinder, the car would end up entering the frame in the photo. (Note
    to self - need to practise panning more and more).

    - Siddhartha
     
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 26, 2005
    #14
  15. Siddhartha Jain

    jean Guest

    "Siddhartha Jain" <> a écrit dans le message de
    news:...
    >
    > Paul Furman wrote:
    > > Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    > >
    > > > Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted off the
    > > > highway in Bombay by the private corporation's patrol that built and
    > > > maintains the highway!!
    > > >
    > > > http://losttoy.smugmug.com/gallery/905568

    > >
    > > So what lens did you use?

    >
    > Its a lowly Sigma 70-300mm DL f/4-5.6. Other than Canon's "L" series,
    > are there any good telephoto zooms (in roughly the 70-300 range) with
    > fast AF without weighing a ton?
    >
    > - Siddhartha


    I'm not a pro, just a lowly amateur but I found the L lenses to be worth
    every penny. I have a 300mm f4 IS and a 70-200 f2,8 L which combined with a
    1.4X teleconverter will cover most racing situations. If I had to do it
    over again, I would have bought the same 300 but the f4 variant of the zoom
    only because of the lighter weight. As it is, I only take the 70-200 when I
    know for sure I will use it. At the races I saw a guy with a 100-400 IS but
    that looks like it's a big lens also. I don't know if third party lenses
    focus as fast as Canon L lenses but that is very important to get sharp
    pictures, a good smooth panning motion is also helpful and so is the burst
    capability.

    Jean

    If you care to take a look, I have some pictures I took at motorcycle races
    at http://www.pbase.com/jeandr/mosport&page=all
     
    jean, Oct 26, 2005
    #15
  16. jean wrote:
    > "Siddhartha Jain" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > news:...
    > >
    > > Paul Furman wrote:
    > > > Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted off the
    > > > > highway in Bombay by the private corporation's patrol that built and
    > > > > maintains the highway!!
    > > > >
    > > > > http://losttoy.smugmug.com/gallery/905568
    > > >
    > > > So what lens did you use?

    > >
    > > Its a lowly Sigma 70-300mm DL f/4-5.6. Other than Canon's "L" series,
    > > are there any good telephoto zooms (in roughly the 70-300 range) with
    > > fast AF without weighing a ton?
    > >
    > > - Siddhartha

    >
    > I'm not a pro, just a lowly amateur but I found the L lenses to be worth
    > every penny. I have a 300mm f4 IS and a 70-200 f2,8 L which combined with a
    > 1.4X teleconverter will cover most racing situations. If I had to do it
    > over again, I would have bought the same 300 but the f4 variant of the zoom
    > only because of the lighter weight. As it is, I only take the 70-200 when I
    > know for sure I will use it. At the races I saw a guy with a 100-400 IS but
    > that looks like it's a big lens also. I don't know if third party lenses
    > focus as fast as Canon L lenses but that is very important to get sharp
    > pictures, a good smooth panning motion is also helpful and so is the burst
    > capability.
    >
    > Jean
    >
    > If you care to take a look, I have some pictures I took at motorcycle races
    > at http://www.pbase.com/jeandr/mosport&page=all


    Wow!! Neat shots.

    Well, the 70-200mm f2.8 L is a little too heavy for my liking even if I
    could afford it. I guess I will go with the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS as
    and when I can afford it.

    - Siddhartha
     
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 26, 2005
    #16
  17. Siddhartha Jain

    jean Guest

    "Siddhartha Jain" <> a écrit dans le message de
    news:...

    jean wrote:
    > "Siddhartha Jain" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > news:...
    > >
    > > Paul Furman wrote:
    > > > Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted off the
    > > > > highway in Bombay by the private corporation's patrol that built and
    > > > > maintains the highway!!
    > > > >
    > > > > http://losttoy.smugmug.com/gallery/905568
    > > >
    > > > So what lens did you use?

    > >
    > > Its a lowly Sigma 70-300mm DL f/4-5.6. Other than Canon's "L" series,
    > > are there any good telephoto zooms (in roughly the 70-300 range) with
    > > fast AF without weighing a ton?
    > >
    > > - Siddhartha

    >
    > I'm not a pro, just a lowly amateur but I found the L lenses to be worth
    > every penny. I have a 300mm f4 IS and a 70-200 f2,8 L which combined with

    a
    > 1.4X teleconverter will cover most racing situations. If I had to do it
    > over again, I would have bought the same 300 but the f4 variant of the

    zoom
    > only because of the lighter weight. As it is, I only take the 70-200 when

    I
    > know for sure I will use it. At the races I saw a guy with a 100-400 IS

    but
    > that looks like it's a big lens also. I don't know if third party lenses
    > focus as fast as Canon L lenses but that is very important to get sharp
    > pictures, a good smooth panning motion is also helpful and so is the burst
    > capability.
    >
    > Jean
    >
    > If you care to take a look, I have some pictures I took at motorcycle

    races
    > at http://www.pbase.com/jeandr/mosport&page=all


    Wow!! Neat shots.

    Well, the 70-200mm f2.8 L is a little too heavy for my liking even if I
    could afford it. I guess I will go with the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS as
    and when I can afford it.

    Siddhartha,

    I just looked at the specs of this new lens and it looks good. Still,
    consider the 70-200 f4 L and a 1.4X teleconverter combination. The 70-300
    has IS which is a good thing especially for static subjects. For racing
    pictures, IS on or IS off doen't seem to make any difference.

    Jean
     
    jean, Oct 27, 2005
    #17
  18. I> jean wrote:
    > > a good smooth panning motion is also helpful and so is the burst capability.
    > >
    > > Jean


    Burst? Cheater!

    That's not photography! That's just clipping a movie!

    <jk>
     
    Steve Cutchen, Oct 27, 2005
    #18
  19. Siddhartha Jain

    jean Guest

    "Steve Cutchen" <> a écrit dans le message de
    news:261020052253400468%...
    > I> jean wrote:
    > > > a good smooth panning motion is also helpful and so is the burst

    capability.
    > > >
    > > > Jean

    >
    > Burst? Cheater!
    >
    > That's not photography! That's just clipping a movie!


    When I look at the pics I used to take with my old Canon FTb and a 500mm
    Vivitar lens where everything was manual and compare them with the pictures
    I take now, I understand very well how the guys in the magazines were able
    to get better pics than I was, they had Nikons with monster backs and motor
    drives and super expensive lenses. Cheaters, yes I guess they were and now
    I have joined the ranks at a lowly level, at least that's what I say to
    myself when I compare my 10D to their 1Ds.

    If you can't beat them, join them ;-)

    Jean
     
    jean, Oct 27, 2005
    #19
  20. Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    []
    > Well, the 70-200mm f2.8 L is a little too heavy for my liking even if
    > I could afford it. I guess I will go with the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS
    > as and when I can afford it.


    Siddhartha,

    What has surprised me is how well P&S cameras can work for this subject.
    I have the Panasonic FZ5, and I'm sure that its light weight (about 300g)
    plus the lack of mirror-slap allows me to pan nicely and get a sharp
    image. You may have the advantage of a faster and more repeatable shutter
    delay, but we both have the advantage of digital and being able to take a
    hundred attempts to get half a dozen keepers!

    Thanks for sharing your pictures.

    David
     
    David J Taylor, Oct 27, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Marli

    Rally australia, the favorite rally world wide

    Marli, Sep 6, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    434
    Marli
    Sep 7, 2003
  2. Frank ess

    Re: Rally,racing, formula photos

    Frank ess, Nov 13, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    424
    Frank ess
    Nov 13, 2003
  3. Siddhartha Jain

    Shooting a car rally

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 19, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    913
  4. Bruce Lewis

    photos from D.C. Rally for Peace and Justice

    Bruce Lewis, Jan 30, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    309
    George Kerby
    Jan 30, 2007
  5. philo 

    Car Rally

    philo , May 8, 2014, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    87
    philo 
    May 8, 2014
Loading...

Share This Page