Car meetup

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, Jun 23, 2013.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    A spontaneous car meetup here at Hälla, Västerås. Better weather this
    time. Here's some pictures

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199987.jpg>

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199988.jpg>

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199991.jpg>

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199993.jpg>

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199994.jpg>

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199995.jpg>

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199996.jpg>

    Afterwards, me and my friend went to a parking lot and burned some...
    gravel. Great fun and some pics of that as well

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199989.jpg>

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199990.jpg>

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199992.jpg>

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Biltraff1?lang=en
    Sandman, Jun 23, 2013

  2. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <2013062301593816807-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > Nice cars, but the Photomatix tonemapping/HDR spoils them.
    > I am not one of those rabid anti-HDR guys, but your processing here was
    > not pleasing (to my eye at least).
    > I am one of those guys who believes there is a time and place to use
    > HDR, and then it should be used tastefully, subtlety, and if the intent
    > is artistic, to use more skill than you did with those images.
    > I have used Photomatix, & Photoshop HDR, buy my current preferred HDR
    > software id NIK HDR Efex Pro 2.

    The rather violent HDR was requested by the car owners (I am the owner
    of the Dodge, but I kept with the same settings). I would have kept it a
    bit more subtle myself. Cars can otherwise be quite spectacular with HDR.

    Either way, I agree with you :)

    (I have a usenet-post function in my CMS, which posts the article/blog
    post as-is, and I didn't want to talk about the HDR in the blog post,
    but if I had made a "manual" usenet post I would have mentioned this)

    > I use HDR to lift detail out of shadows, as in this example comparing
    > the "0" adjusted image with a 5 shot HDR bracket:
    > <
    > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Shared Images/USENET SHARE/Com
    > parison%20Shots/T-28HDR-Comp.jpg

    As far as I can tell, this could be done without bracketed HDR.

    > Then there is this 5 shot HDR bracket:
    > <
    > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Shared Images/USENET SHARE/DNC
    > 1000_HDR-Ac2w.jpg

    Which, to my eye, is as violent as the cars really. It's maybe a bit
    more forgiving scenery (given the lack of reflections), but the
    shadowing makes it a bit too much as well.

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Jun 23, 2013

  3. Sandman

    RichA Guest

    On Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:10:34 AM UTC-4, Sandman wrote:
    > A spontaneous car meetup here at Hälla, Västerås. Better weather this
    >
    > time. Here's some pictures
    >

    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199987.jpg>
    >

    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199988.jpg>
    >

    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199991.jpg>
    >

    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199993.jpg>
    >

    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199994.jpg>
    >

    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199995.jpg>
    >

    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199996.jpg>
    >

    > Afterwards, me and my friend went to a parking lot and burned some...
    >
    > gravel. Great fun and some pics of that as well
    >

    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199989.jpg>
    >

    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199990.jpg>
    >

    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199992.jpg>
    >

    > --
    >
    > Sandman[.net]
    >

    > http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Biltraff1?lang=en

    Hopefully, they weren't using the nice old Firebird to sandblast itself in that gravel.
    RichA, Jun 23, 2013
  4. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On 23 Jun 2013 08:10:34 GMT, Sandman <> wrote:

    >A spontaneous car meetup here at Hälla, Västerås. Better weather this
    >time. Here's some pictures
    >
    ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199987.jpg>
    >
    ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199988.jpg>
    >
    ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199991.jpg>
    >
    ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199993.jpg>
    >
    ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199994.jpg>
    >
    ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199995.jpg>
    >
    ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199996.jpg>
    >
    >Afterwards, me and my friend went to a parking lot and burned some...
    >gravel. Great fun and some pics of that as well
    >
    ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199989.jpg>

    I'm not crazy about the processing in the top group, but this is a
    good image.

    ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199990.jpg>
    >
    ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199992.jpg>

    Just a suggestion...next time put all the images in a Dropbox (or
    similar) gallery and give us one link.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 23, 2013
  5. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    > On 23 Jun 2013 08:10:34 GMT, Sandman <> wrote:
    >
    > >A spontaneous car meetup here at Hälla, Västerås. Better weather this
    > >time. Here's some pictures
    > >
    > ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199987.jpg>
    > >
    > ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199988.jpg>
    > >
    > ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199991.jpg>
    > >
    > ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199993.jpg>
    > >
    > ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199994.jpg>
    > >
    > ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199995.jpg>
    > >
    > ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199996.jpg>
    > >
    > >Afterwards, me and my friend went to a parking lot and burned some...
    > >gravel. Great fun and some pics of that as well
    > >
    > ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199989.jpg>

    > I'm not crazy about the processing in the top group, but this is a
    > good image.
    >

    > ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199990.jpg>
    > >
    > ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199992.jpg>
    > >

    > Just a suggestion...next time put all the images in a Dropbox (or
    > similar) gallery and give us one link.

    You should have tried the link at the bottom:

    Sandman, Jun 23, 2013
  6. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 17:16:46 +0200, Sandman <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 23 Jun 2013 08:10:34 GMT, Sandman <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >A spontaneous car meetup here at Hälla, Västerås. Better weather this
    >> >time. Here's some pictures
    >> >
    >> ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199987.jpg>
    >> >
    >> ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199988.jpg>
    >> >
    >> ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199991.jpg>
    >> >
    >> ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199993.jpg>
    >> >
    >> ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199994.jpg>
    >> >
    >> ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199995.jpg>
    >> >
    >> ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199996.jpg>
    >> >
    >> >Afterwards, me and my friend went to a parking lot and burned some...
    >> >gravel. Great fun and some pics of that as well
    >> >
    >> ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199989.jpg>

    >> I'm not crazy about the processing in the top group, but this is a
    >> good image.
    >>

    >> ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199990.jpg>
    >> >
    >> ><http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199992.jpg>
    >> >

    >> Just a suggestion...next time put all the images in a Dropbox (or
    >> similar) gallery and give us one link.

    >You should have tried the link at the bottom:
    >
    > http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Biltraff1?lang=en

    Exactly what I was suggesting. The problem with multiple links is
    that the viewer opens a few and stops expecting more of the same. As
    I did.

    Is that a page that you created just for this, or is it an app of some
    sort like Dropbox where you just upload images? It works well.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 23, 2013
  7. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Tony Cooper, Jun 23, 2013
  8. Sandman

    peternew Guest

    On 6/23/2013 12:40 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 10:31:32 -0400, Tony Cooper
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 23 Jun 2013 08:10:34 GMT, Sandman <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> A spontaneous car meetup here at Hälla, Västerås. Better weather this
    >>> time. Here's some pictures
    >>>
    >>> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199987.jpg>
    >>>
    >>> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199988.jpg>
    >>>
    >>> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199991.jpg>
    >>>
    >>> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199993.jpg>
    >>>
    >>> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199994.jpg>
    >>>
    >>> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199995.jpg>
    >>>
    >>> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199996.jpg>
    >>>
    >>> Afterwards, me and my friend went to a parking lot and burned some...
    >>> gravel. Great fun and some pics of that as well
    >>>
    >>> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199989.jpg>

    >> I'm not crazy about the processing in the top group, but this is a
    >> good image.
    >>

    >>> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199990.jpg>
    >>>
    >>> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199992.jpg>
    >>>

    >> Just a suggestion...next time put all the images in a Dropbox (or
    >> similar) gallery and give us one link.

    HOw do yu do it with Dropbox? Is it a linke to a folder?

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 23, 2013
  9. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    > >You should have tried the link at the bottom:
    > >
    > > http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Biltraff1?lang=en

    > Exactly what I was suggesting. The problem with multiple links is
    > that the viewer opens a few and stops expecting more of the same. As
    > I did.

    Yeah, not sure if the catch-all link should be at the bottom or at the
    top. Might add it to the top instead.

    > Is that a page that you created just for this, or is it an app of some
    > sort like Dropbox where you just upload images? It works well.

    That's my photo page, where I direct presumptive clients (my personal
    homepage is at sandman.net - where you can see the images with a bit
    less violent HDR in them).

    It runs my own CMS system where I easily upload and edit posts with
    multiple images in them.

    Or I can import directly from my flickr account, either single images or
    whole sets, so this:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonaseklundh/sets/72157633237927651/

    Becomes this:

    http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Sabinas_Hat

    With just a click. Sorry, only Swedish text on that one.

    Or this:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonaseklundh/9066366340

    Becomes this:

    http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Vilka_Moln

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Jun 23, 2013
  10. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 13:01:31 -0400, peternew <>
    wrote:

    >>> I'm not crazy about the processing in the top group, but this is a
    >>> good image.

    >>> Just a suggestion...next time put all the images in a Dropbox (or
    >>> similar) gallery and give us one link.

    >HOw do yu do it with Dropbox? Is it a linke to a folder?

    Yes. You create a folder, either upload the images to the folder or
    move the images to the folder, right click on the folder name, click
    "share link", and the link is copied to the clipboard.

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nuf6p5l273opcf2/96BqGSmxYI

    The downside is that what appears when you click the link are large
    thumbnails. Clicking on one enlarges it to full size, and then you
    can arrow to the rest. Some people don't click on any image and think
    the thumbnail is the whole image and you've framed it badly.

    I like Sandman's layout because it doesn't go to thumbnails.

    The above are shots of my two grandsons (the catcher and the first
    baseman, but two different age-group teams) playing on a muddy day.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 23, 2013
  11. Sandman

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 06:22:39 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    : On Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:10:34 AM UTC-4, Sandman wrote:
    : > A spontaneous car meetup here at Hälla, Västerås. Better weather this
    : >
    : > time. Here's some pictures
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199987.jpg>
    : > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199988.jpg>
    : > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199991.jpg>
    : > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199993.jpg>
    : > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199994.jpg>
    : > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199995.jpg>
    : > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199996.jpg>
    : >
    : > Afterwards, me and my friend went to a parking lot and burned some...
    : > gravel. Great fun and some pics of that as well
    : > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199989.jpg>
    : > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199990.jpg>
    : > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199992.jpg>
    : > --
    : >
    : > Sandman[.net]
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : > http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Biltraff1?lang=en
    :
    : Hopefully, they weren't using the nice old Firebird to sandblast itself in that gravel.

    Are we looking at the same set of pictures? The car kicking up the gravel is a
    Beemer.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 23, 2013
  12. Sandman

    Robert Coe Guest

    : Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    :
    : > On 23 Jun 2013 08:10:34 GMT, Sandman <> wrote:
    : >
    : > >A spontaneous car meetup here at Hälla, Västerås. Better weather this
    : > >time. Here's some pictures
    : > >
[...]

    Well, yeah, but how were we supposed to know?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 23, 2013
  13. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 15:26:17 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 06:22:39 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    >: On Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:10:34 AM UTC-4, Sandman wrote:
    >: > A spontaneous car meetup here at Hälla, Västerås. Better weather this
    >: >
    >: > time. Here's some pictures
    >: >
    >: >
    >: >
    >: > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199987.jpg>
    >: > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199988.jpg>
    >: > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199991.jpg>
    >: > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199993.jpg>
    >: > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199994.jpg>
    >: > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199995.jpg>
    >: > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199996.jpg>
    >: >
    >: > Afterwards, me and my friend went to a parking lot and burned some...
    >: > gravel. Great fun and some pics of that as well
    >: > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199989.jpg>
    >: > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199990.jpg>
    >: > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg199992.jpg>
    >: > --
    >: >
    >: > Sandman[.net]
    >: >
    >: >
    >: >
    >: > http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Biltraff1?lang=en
    >:
    >: Hopefully, they weren't using the nice old Firebird to sandblast itself in that gravel.
    >
    >Are we looking at the same set of pictures? The car kicking up the gravel is a
    >Beemer.

    The Firebird's in another image, and the comment seems to saying that
    it's OK to kick up gravel in a BMW, but don't do it with the Firebird.
    The poster wouldn't want the Firebird subjected to that. He values
    the Firebird more than he values the BMW. Firebirds have a special
    place in the hearts of some car aficionados.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 23, 2013
  14. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Robert Coe <> wrote:

    > : You should have tried the link at the bottom:
    > :
    > : http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Biltraff1?lang=en
    >
    > Well, yeah, but how were we supposed to know?

    Well, yeah, but how was *I* supposed to know you guys wanted that one
    instead? :-D

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Jun 23, 2013
  15. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    > >: > http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Biltraff1?lang=en
    > >:
    > >: Hopefully, they weren't using the nice old Firebird to sandblast itself in
    > >that gravel.
    > >
    > >Are we looking at the same set of pictures? The car kicking up the gravel is
    > >Beemer.
    > >

    > The Firebird's in another image, and the comment seems to saying that
    > it's OK to kick up gravel in a BMW, but don't do it with the Firebird.
    > The poster wouldn't want the Firebird subjected to that. He values
    > the Firebird more than he values the BMW. Firebirds have a special
    > place in the hearts of some car aficionados.

    True. The firebird isn't mine though. The Dodge is mine. And I wouldn't
    put that on the gravel either :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Jun 23, 2013
  16. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    > >HOw do yu do it with Dropbox? Is it a linke to a folder?

    > Yes. You create a folder, either upload the images to the folder or
    > move the images to the folder, right click on the folder name, click
    > "share link", and the link is copied to the clipboard.
    >

    > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nuf6p5l273opcf2/96BqGSmxYI
    >
    > The downside is that what appears when you click the link are large
    > thumbnails. Clicking on one enlarges it to full size, and then you
    > can arrow to the rest. Some people don't click on any image and think
    > the thumbnail is the whole image and you've framed it badly.
    >
    > I like Sandman's layout because it doesn't go to thumbnails.

    My CMS can do thumbnails too, though, if I so choose:

    http://sandman.net/pages/webblog/2006-11-26/Modellbygge

    Me writing (again, in swedish) about all the model kits I've kep tsince
    I was younger. I still have them! :)

    Plus, on the front page:

    http://sandman.net

    There are thumbnails from all my entires in the "portfolio", as well as
    on the front page of my photo site:

    http://jonaseklundh.se

    Sandman, Jun 23, 2013