    Internet, being listened to over speakers, in an audio file on your
    hard disk?
    , Feb 22, 2006

  2. Evan Platt Guest

    http://www.highcriteria.com/
    Evan Platt, Feb 22, 2006

  3. Rich Guest

    wrote:
    > Using Windows XP, how does one go about capturing streaming audio from
    > Internet, being listened to over speakers, in an audio file on your
    > hard disk?

    Go to Control Panel

    In Category View: Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices, "Volume" tab, Adjust
    the System Volume, "Advanced" button.

    In Classic View: Sounds and Audio Devices, "Volume" tab, "Advanced" button.

    In Volume Control:

    Options / Properties, tick "Recording" radio button.

    Look for a checkbox for "Stereo Mix". If not checked, check it.

    (Note: This may also be called "Wave" or "Wave/MP3")

    Click OK.

    The window now states "Recording Control". There will be "Select"
    checkboxes at the bottom. Choose the one for "Stereo Mix" (it is
    normally set to "Microphone").

    Launch Windows Sound Recorder (Start / Run / type sndrec32 / Click OK).

    Press the record button on Sound Recorder, then play the audio stream.

    When done, click the Stop button. Save the WAV file.

    Note: It's more effective if you use a good audio recording program,
    like GoldWave (www.goldwave.com) or Adobe Audition 1.5.

    -Rich
    Rich, Feb 22, 2006
  4. old jon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Using Windows XP, how does one go about capturing streaming audio from
    > Internet, being listened to over speakers, in an audio file on your
    > hard disk?

    You can use the inbuilt Soud Recorder in Windows.
    If you can hear it, you can record it.
    Go to Start\Help and type in record
    Another option is to D\load Audacity here:
    Download Audacity 1.2.4b - Download
    --
    bw..OJ.
    old jon, Feb 22, 2006
  5. Guest

    There is not a "recording radio button" in my volume control. There is
    a "sound recording" section in the "audio" tab, but the "advanced" tab
    there is grayed out. So, wonder if this is a function of which audio
    card one happens to have.
    , Feb 22, 2006
  6. fred-bloggs Guest

    wrote in news:1140635072.389083.93900
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    http://all-streaming-media.com/record-audio-stream/

    --
    fred
    fred-bloggs, Feb 22, 2006
  7. Rich Guest

    wrote:
    > There is not a "recording radio button" in my volume control. There is
    > a "sound recording" section in the "audio" tab, but the "advanced" tab
    > there is grayed out. So, wonder if this is a function of which audio
    > card one happens to have.

    Check to see if you have a recording device enabled.

    When in "Sounds and Audio Device Properties", instead of the "Volume"
    tab go to "Audio" tab, and look under the "Sound Recording" heading to
    see if anything is selected for the default device. A device does need
    to be specified in order for audio recording to work.
    Rich, Feb 22, 2006
  8. PC Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Using Windows XP, how does one go about capturing streaming audio from
    > Internet, being listened to over speakers, in an audio file on your
    > hard disk?

    David

    Others have pointed you to "Windows Sound Recorder" However WSR has a built
    in time limit of some 60 seconds so it is not much use for general sound
    recording. You can adjust this with a registry hack, but overall Windows
    sound recorder is to 'simple' and lacking in essential editing facilities.

    The most 'practical' solution is to download the free sound editor
    "Audacity" from here http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/
    (Get the Lame MP3 encoder as well)
    Install it, start your streaming audio and click the record button on
    Audacity's tool bar.

    Do be aware there are many settings within Control Panel/Sounds and Audio
    Devices that can affect the presence/absence/quality of the sound.
    I would counsel you to 'methodically' work your way through 'Sounds and
    Audio Devices' AND any other sound applet/program that was installed with
    your hardware (classic example is 'AvRack' if you have a Realtek sound chip
    on your motherboard)

    The same 'RTFM' advice applies to Audacity as well.
    Google can help as well, for example
    http://altec.colorado.edu/howto/audacity/aud_hlp01.shtml

    Best
    Paul.
    PC, Feb 22, 2006
  9. Guest

    Thanks, OJ. Audacity, in the end, is what worked for me. I could not
    pick out the "stereo mixer" input from the regular Windows
    sound-recorder control panel, but I did find it in the Audacity
    controls, and that is where the streaming audio could be recorded from.
    I was able to take resulting WAV file and export it as MP3, obviously
    a very convenient thing.
    , Feb 22, 2006
  10. old jon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Thanks, OJ. Audacity, in the end, is what worked for me. I could not
    > pick out the "stereo mixer" input from the regular Windows
    > sound-recorder control panel, but I did find it in the Audacity
    > controls, and that is where the streaming audio could be recorded from.
    > I was able to take resulting WAV file and export it as MP3, obviously
    > a very convenient thing.

    Well done David. Glad it worked for you.

    --
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Feb 23, 2006