    get some actual prints from the birth. I'm new to all of this, so I'm sorry
    if my terminology is off! Thanks in advance.

    Julie

    Julie, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Hello, Julie,

    each digital camcorder (both miniDV and Digital8 kinds) produces digital
    video of resolution of 720x576 (Europe PAL system) or 720x480 (USA and
    others - NTSC system).
    That is why I am always getting still pictures of resolution of 720x576.
    So try to check some settings of the software you are using (personally
    I do know it). You definitely should be able to get this resolution.
    A possible reason could be deinterlacing process - as I may have seen
    your resolution is about the half.
    Actually, I am not very familiar in the area of deinterlaced pictures -
    I hope somebody will help you with this.
    Roman

    Roman Svihorik, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Julie

    Ed Guest

    Check out http://www.redhawkvision.com

    --
    Ed

    Remove the capital ST spam trap
    when replying directly to me.

    Ed, Dec 4, 2003
  4. Julie

    Ray Murphy Guest

    ----------
    In article <3fcf7a49$0$20886$>, "Julie"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a question about resolution and prints from captured photos. I have a
    >sony video camera (TRV-250) and recently had a baby which my husband
    >videotaped. We have the ImageMixer software and I proceeded to capture
    >images from the video. My question is: Is there any way to improve the
    >resolution of the pictures in order to be able to make 4x6 prints? The
    >pictures are coming out as 320x240. I use Adobe Photoshop to edit my
    >pictures. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know because I'd like to
    >get some actual prints from the birth. I'm new to all of this, so I'm sorry
    >if my terminology is off! Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Julie

    RM: Here's a few things to look at:
    See if you can get your picture showing "full screen" or somewhere
    near it and then do a screen-capture at the right moments. Usually you
    can get your timing right with a bit of practice, and you get a
    preview on screen instantly which you can assess before saving. This
    might require getting one of those shareware screen-capture programs
    if you cannot do it with your WIN system screen-shots.

    See if your camera can be installed on a video card, and if so you
    might be able to capture bigger images than via USB.

    If you are still not entirely happy with the size and quality of your
    pics, you can always resample to a higher resolution (in the bicubic
    mode) in Photoshop or an equivalent program and perhaps give them a
    nomial amount of "unsharp mask" (which in reality is actually
    *sharpening* pictures).

    Ray

    Ray Murphy, Dec 4, 2003
  5. Julie

    jozefus Guest

    Sorry, Julie,
    The res you're working on (320x240) gives you no better pictures. You can
    enlarge it by importing it in a program like Photoshop, but then the quality
    will become worse. If you want to make nice photo's using your camcorder,
    look if it has a photo-function. Otherwise you have to deal with the quality
    your cam gives you.

    jozefus, Dec 4, 2003
  6. Julie

    Steve King Guest

    "Julie" <> wrote in message
    > I have a question about resolution and prints from captured photos. I have

    > sony video camera (TRV-250) and recently had a baby which my husband
    > videotaped. We have the ImageMixer software and I proceeded to capture
    > images from the video. My question is: Is there any way to improve the
    > resolution of the pictures in order to be able to make 4x6 prints? The
    > pictures are coming out as 320x240. I use Adobe Photoshop to edit my
    > pictures. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know because I'd like to
    > get some actual prints from the birth. I'm new to all of this, so I'm

    sorry
    > if my terminology is off! Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Julie

    You sure have received a mixed bag of responses, haven't you. I'm not
    familiar with ImageMixer, but it may have "options" on the size of
    still-frame capture. As another poster said, you are looking for the choice
    720x480 (576 in Europe). That is the limit of DV resolution.

    Tell us about ImageMixer and more help may be forthcoming.

    Steve King

    Steve King, Dec 4, 2003
  7. Julie

    Dave Jones Guest

    Are you not using the FireWire? 320x240 is good for nothing other than
    wallet sizes.
    To get the 720x480, you need to use the firewire port.

    --

    Dave Jones
    Independent Video Productions

    Dave Jones, Dec 5, 2003
  8. Julie

    Julie Guest

    I appreciate the responses. I'm not sure what FireWire means. Could you
    please let me know? Also, in Image Mixer there is no option for the size of
    still frame capture. That's where I'm getting frustrated!!

    Julie

    Julie, Dec 5, 2003
  9. Julie

    Dave Jones Guest

    Firewire is a connection to transfer the video straight to the computer.
    Sony calls it ILink. on the 250, it should be below the LCD screen behind a
    plastic cover which covers the S-Video Out, A/V Out, Firewire In / Out and
    USB ports. It's a tiny connection, easy to miss. If your computer has a
    port (IEEE 1394) it just plugs into that. If not they can be found at most
    computer stores. But chances are the camera didn't come with a wire or
    software to run it. I use SCLive to capture the video
    http://scenalyzer.com/ and it does pretty good stills also.

    Dave Jones, Dec 5, 2003
  10. Julie

    Mike Fields Guest

    I second the vote for SCLive. Best $33 I've spent !
    It will import your DV from the camera over the firewire, break
    it into clips based on the timecode in the video. To grab a frame,
    just select the clip, move the cursor to the selected frame and
    press F2 and it will save it as a jpg for you. Seems to me I
    had also seen another piece of SW that would enhance a frame,
    but I can't find a link to that.

    --
    Mike "mikey" Fields
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike.fields/

    Linux users brag on how long their system stays up,
    Window users assume it's a temporary condition ...

    Mike Fields, Dec 5, 2003
  11. Julie

    Samuel Paik Guest

    "Julie" <> wrote:
    > I have a question about resolution and prints from captured photos. I have a
    > sony video camera (TRV-250) and recently had a baby which my husband
    > videotaped. We have the ImageMixer software and I proceeded to capture
    > images from the video. My question is: Is there any way to improve the
    > resolution of the pictures in order to be able to make 4x6 prints? The
    > pictures are coming out as 320x240.

    You should be getting 720x480, which is significantly better. Most likely,
    you are using USB to capture video. Use Firewire instead.

    Sam

    Samuel Paik, Dec 5, 2003