Capturing a Killer...Worth a Look... (Hey Bret!)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark², Sep 12, 2006.

  1. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    I'm sure this will never happen again this way...

    Went to the beach to discover a flock of crows dive-bombing a tree-top.
    Why? They were after this guy... Though not sure why, since he wasn't
    eating...a crow...
    -Ran back to the condo in my bathing suit to grab my camera...

    Ended up ruining my shirt and getting leg-cramps while climbing the tree he
    sat in, but wouldn't have missed this for anything... Ended up an amazing
    5-6 feet away through the whole thing...at eye-level.

    Have a look:

    -Oh...and these are NOT crops.
    These are all full-frame, except for ONE shot.
    100% on the eye is a crop, but the rest are full-frame shots (OK, there's
    one other where I included a partial crop, and noted it):

    First, a tame one:

    And another tame one:

    Shadow of things to come...
    http://upload.pbase.com/image/66727617/original

    It gets VERY NASTY from here...

    This one IS a crop, but not by much (the full-frame version is included in
    the gallery):

    Killer Profile:

    Checking on me...What a stare!!
    http://www.pbase.com/image/66723625/original

    Eerie...Yes, those are the eyes looking up at his own killer through skin:
    Nature can be rough:
    http://upload.pbase.com/image/66727411/original

    Waste not...

    Looks that Kill...What a GLARE!:

    Vice-Grips:
    http://upload.pbase.com/image/66726793/original

    The Aftermath:

    Now for the PRE-QUEL:
    Setting the table #1:

    Setting the Table #2:

    Setting the Table #3:
    http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66724742/large

    Killer with a heart--He hung the left-overs up for the flies:

    100% Crop of Eye:
    http://upload.pbase.com/image/66727810/original

    I have no idea why he let me get this close. I was very cautious, and moved
    only after he gave indication that he was continuing with his business. I
    doubt I'll be able to get this close to a wild hawk in action ever again. I
    sat in the tree with him no less than 40 minutes. -Quite an experience.

    Just goes to show you that you've got to be ready for opportunity when it
    knocks.

    By the way... These are quicky-jpegs. I haven't had a chance to convert
    RAW, but that will be next. These were a bit dark, so RAWs will adjust
    nicely. I was amazed at the out-of-camera sharpness of the 5D. While flash
    use wasn't ideal, it was either flash or nothing at all. Additionally,
    there were spots of sunlight shining through holes in the tree canopy--a
    typical shot-ruining factor. I lowered ISO to 50 and decided to rely on
    flash more in order to reduce the effect of the bright sunlight spots. This
    is always a challenge when shooting in the shade under trees in bright
    sunlight.

    -Mark²
    -- Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark² at:
    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Sep 12, 2006

  2. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Re: Capturing a Killer (HAWK, that is)

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Sep 12, 2006

  3. Mark²

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> writes:
    > Ended up ruining my shirt and getting leg-cramps while climbing the tree he
    > sat in, but wouldn't have missed this for anything... Ended up an amazing
    > 5-6 feet away through the whole thing...at eye-level.

    Amazing shots, well worth a shirt and some cramps.
    Paul Rubin, Sep 12, 2006
  4. Mark²

    Joan Guest

    Damn good shots Mark!

    --
    Joan

    :
    Joan, Sep 12, 2006
  5. Mark² wrote:

    > I have no idea why he let me get this close. I was very cautious,
    > and moved only after he gave indication that he was continuing with
    > his business. I doubt I'll be able to get this close to a wild hawk
    > in action ever again. I sat in the tree with him no less than 40
    > minutes. -Quite an experience.

    Nice job! As for why he let you get this close, he must be a regular
    newsgroup reader and decided to show a bit of sympathy on you since he
    sensed a bit of self esteem issues and didn't see you swinging a 600mm lens
    on the old 5D. That, or he decided that he's so tame and domesticated that
    he would no longer think of himself as "wildlife" and loves the flash.
    Plus, you never did take the time to thank him for teaching you how to "zoom
    with your feet" even though you had a zoom on. Anyway, good job, I'm proud
    of you.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 12, 2006
  6. Joan wrote:
    > Damn good shots Mark!

    Joan, if you would be so kind as to trim your replies, the rest of us
    wouldn't have to scroll three pages to get to the next post.

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Sep 12, 2006
  7. Mark²

    Annika1980 Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >
    > Plus, you never did take the time to thank him for teaching you how to "zoom
    > with your feet" even though you had a zoom on. Anyway, good job, I'm proud
    > of you.

    I think Mark has taken the term "zoom with your feet" to new heights!
    I knew all those years being raised in that South American jungle would
    someday pay off. Perhaps I shall change Mark's name from "PW" to
    "Monkey Boy."
    "Monkey Boy Morgan' .... kinda has a nice ring to it.

    Nice pics, BTW. Next time you climb a tree, crank up the ISO and crank
    down on the flash. This might have been a good time to show off the
    5D's high-ISO performance. The natural lighting might have produced
    some interesting effects. Did you really shimmy up that tree with a 5D,
    a 70-200 f/2.8L IS, and an external flash? Man, that's dedication!
    Might get you in the Canon Hall of Fame.
    Annika1980, Sep 12, 2006
  8. Mark²

    ASAAR Guest

    On 12 Sep 2006 09:34:04 -0700, Annika1980 wrote:

    > Nice pics, BTW. Next time you climb a tree, crank up the ISO and crank
    > down on the flash. This might have been a good time to show off the
    > 5D's high-ISO performance. The natural lighting might have produced
    > some interesting effects.

    What are you saying? That could have cost him is life! Hawks
    invariably attack at the sound of the mirror flap. It was only the
    bright flash that blinded Hawkeye, keeping him at bay, thus leaving
    Mark² unPierced.

    > Did you really shimmy up that tree with a 5D,
    > a 70-200 f/2.8L IS, and an external flash? Man, that's dedication!
    > Might get you in the Canon Hall of Fame.

    Nah, nothing like that at all, my good serendip. He repaired to
    the tree to be able to munch some GORP, buffalo jerky and a few
    Snickers bars with some privacy. Would you climb a tree and leave
    all that gear down below for the taking? The return of Hawkeye was
    merely a fortuitous, fortunate accident of fate that didn't turn
    fatal, thanks to the flash. In the interest of safety, maybe Canon
    will wise up and add an internal flash to the 5D's successor.
    ASAAR, Sep 12, 2006
  9. In article <h2sNg.12321$c07.6997@fed1read04>, Mark²
    <mjmorgan@cox.?.net.invalid> writes
    >I'm sure this will never happen again this way...
    >
    >Went to the beach to discover a flock of crows dive-bombing a tree-top.
    >Why? They were after this guy... Though not sure why, since he wasn't
    >eating...a crow...
    >-Ran back to the condo in my bathing suit to grab my camera...
    >
    >Ended up ruining my shirt and getting leg-cramps while climbing the tree he
    >sat in, but wouldn't have missed this for anything... Ended up an amazing
    >5-6 feet away through the whole thing...at eye-level.

    [snip]

    Really impressive shots Mark - a credit to the photographer, the camera
    and the lens. Were you using the 70-200 f/2.8 IS?

    Interesting that the exif information says "no flash used" - you would
    think it would be clever enough to detect an external flash. I do wonder
    if Bret's comment is a good one - would have been worth trying 400 ISO
    and no flash, but of course we don't know what the light was like. I
    know I have been amazed at the high-ISO performance of the 5D.

    David
    --
    David Littlewood
    David Littlewood, Sep 12, 2006
  10. Annika1980 wrote:

    >> Plus, you never did take the time to thank him for teaching you how
    >> to "zoom with your feet" even though you had a zoom on. Anyway,
    >> good job, I'm proud of you.

    > I think Mark has taken the term "zoom with your feet" to new heights!
    > I knew all those years being raised in that South American jungle
    > would someday pay off. Perhaps I shall change Mark's name from "PW"
    > to "Monkey Boy."
    > "Monkey Boy Morgan' .... kinda has a nice ring to it.

    Yep! Mark did really well getting close on this one. I would say that he's
    probably about 25' or less away.

    > Nice pics, BTW. Next time you climb a tree, crank up the ISO and
    > crank down on the flash. This might have been a good time to show
    > off the 5D's high-ISO performance. The natural lighting might have
    > produced some interesting effects. Did you really shimmy up that tree
    > with a 5D, a 70-200 f/2.8L IS, and an external flash? Man, that's
    > dedication! Might get you in the Canon Hall of Fame.

    That was my first thought after I seeing the harsh shadowing from having the
    flash mounted on camera. He should have taken a few ISO 800 shots without
    any flash as this most likely would have been amazing with natural light.
    Of course, he probably could have had some nice fill flash using that
    homemade rubbing alcohol bottle diffuser. Anyway, great shots Mark.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 12, 2006
  11. Mark²

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    > Annika1980 wrote:
    >
    >>> Plus, you never did take the time to thank him for teaching you how
    >>> to "zoom with your feet" even though you had a zoom on. Anyway,
    >>> good job, I'm proud of you.

    >> I think Mark has taken the term "zoom with your feet" to new heights!
    >> I knew all those years being raised in that South American jungle
    >> would someday pay off. Perhaps I shall change Mark's name from "PW"
    >> to "Monkey Boy."
    >> "Monkey Boy Morgan' .... kinda has a nice ring to it.

    > Yep! Mark did really well getting close on this one. I would say that
    > he's
    > probably about 25' or less away.
    >
    >> Nice pics, BTW. Next time you climb a tree, crank up the ISO and
    >> crank down on the flash. This might have been a good time to show
    >> off the 5D's high-ISO performance. The natural lighting might have
    >> produced some interesting effects. Did you really shimmy up that tree
    >> with a 5D, a 70-200 f/2.8L IS, and an external flash? Man, that's
    >> dedication! Might get you in the Canon Hall of Fame.

    > That was my first thought after I seeing the harsh shadowing from having
    > the
    > flash mounted on camera. He should have taken a few ISO 800 shots without
    > any flash as this most likely would have been amazing with natural light.
    > Of course, he probably could have had some nice fill flash using that
    > homemade rubbing alcohol bottle diffuser. Anyway, great shots Mark.

    Looks like the bird was in poor lighting. Without flash, it probably would
    have blown the background. I would have tried -1 on the flash though. Still
    great shots!
    John
    JohnR66, Sep 12, 2006
  12. Mark²

    Joan Guest

    Use a better newsreader.

    --
    Joan

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    : Joan wrote:
    : > Damn good shots Mark!
    : >
    : Joan, if you would be so kind as to trim your replies, the rest of
    us
    : wouldn't have to scroll three pages to get to the next post.
    :
    : --
    : john mcwilliams
    Joan, Sep 12, 2006
  13. Mark²

    Rich Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> writes:
    > > Ended up ruining my shirt and getting leg-cramps while climbing the tree he
    > > sat in, but wouldn't have missed this for anything... Ended up an amazing
    > > 5-6 feet away through the whole thing...at eye-level.

    > Amazing shots, well worth a shirt and some cramps.

    The kind the nature shows on TV cut out so the kiddies don't see them.
    Truly awesome.
    Rich, Sep 13, 2006
  14. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    David Littlewood wrote:
    > In article <h2sNg.12321$c07.6997@fed1read04>, Mark²
    > <mjmorgan@cox.?.net.invalid> writes
    >> I'm sure this will never happen again this way...
    >>
    >> Went to the beach to discover a flock of crows dive-bombing a
    >> tree-top. Why? They were after this guy... Though not sure why,
    >> since he wasn't eating...a crow...
    >> -Ran back to the condo in my bathing suit to grab my camera...
    >>
    >> Ended up ruining my shirt and getting leg-cramps while climbing the
    >> tree he sat in, but wouldn't have missed this for anything... Ended
    >> up an amazing 5-6 feet away through the whole thing...at eye-level.
    >>

    > [snip]
    >
    > Really impressive shots Mark - a credit to the photographer, the
    > camera and the lens. Were you using the 70-200 f/2.8 IS?
    >
    > Interesting that the exif information says "no flash used" - you would
    > think it would be clever enough to detect an external flash. I do
    > wonder if Bret's comment is a good one - would have been worth trying
    > 400 ISO and no flash, but of course we don't know what the light was
    > like. I know I have been amazed at the high-ISO performance of the 5D.
    >
    > David

    Ya...that was something I might have done differently. Not sure what's up
    with the exif (didn't look at that on Pbase), as there difinitely was flash.
    But these shots did exactly what I wanted them to do.
    My thinking while dangling in the tree-top was that I really wanted to avoid
    the intermittent splashing of horribly-bright sunlight spots, which were
    poking through in various places. If you've ever tried capturing a
    forest-floor scene where you're in heavy shade...but with pockets of bright
    sun...then you know how it's basically impossible to capture without
    hideously blown-out spots of light all over your image. -That's why
    over-cast days are perfect for forest under-growth shooting. But
    anyway...to avoid this, I chose to deemphasize the dependance on ambient
    light so that these overly-bright spots would be minimized. As it turns
    out...it worked exactly as I meant for it to.

    What I most wanted to capture was the detail. The ISO 50 was actually a
    goof. I thought I was on 100 (which is why the 5D should have included
    current ISO in the viewfinder at all times, rather than just while you're
    changing it).

    These shots served the purpose I had for them--which was to capture the
    detail in the bird and his activities. When viewed at full-resolution, the
    detail in many of these shots is truly stunning. Are these images perfect in
    EVERY sense? No. But they are a very detailed and clear look into what is
    usually a very distant activity...which we tend to see in shadowed, blurry
    or obscured images.

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Sep 13, 2006
  15. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > Annika1980 wrote:
    >
    >>> Plus, you never did take the time to thank him for teaching you how
    >>> to "zoom with your feet" even though you had a zoom on. Anyway,
    >>> good job, I'm proud of you.

    >> I think Mark has taken the term "zoom with your feet" to new heights!
    >> I knew all those years being raised in that South American jungle
    >> would someday pay off. Perhaps I shall change Mark's name from "PW"
    >> to "Monkey Boy."
    >> "Monkey Boy Morgan' .... kinda has a nice ring to it.

    > Yep! Mark did really well getting close on this one. I would say
    > that he's probably about 25' or less away.

    I was 5 to 6 feet away, max.

    >> Nice pics, BTW. Next time you climb a tree, crank up the ISO and
    >> crank down on the flash. This might have been a good time to show
    >> off the 5D's high-ISO performance. The natural lighting might have
    >> produced some interesting effects. Did you really shimmy up that tree
    >> with a 5D, a 70-200 f/2.8L IS, and an external flash? Man, that's
    >> dedication! Might get you in the Canon Hall of Fame.

    > That was my first thought after I seeing the harsh shadowing from
    > having the flash mounted on camera. He should have taken a few ISO
    > 800 shots without any flash as this most likely would have been
    > amazing with natural light. Of course, he probably could have had
    > some nice fill flash using that homemade rubbing alcohol bottle
    > diffuser. Anyway, great shots Mark.

    See my post to David for my rationale on that...
    There are always better ways to do just about anything.
    The other factor was that I realized that at ANY point in that series, he
    could fly away with his dinner, adn that would be it. I never imagined that
    I could keep shooting this way. I was SO close that if I'd had a butterfly
    net, I could have caught him... :) No kidding (though it would have to be
    one big...tough butterfly net...

    As to zooming with my feet (as you still seem to feel I've never heard
    of...), I've been doing that as necessary for many years. Here's an example
    of when I found myself chasing a porcupine in Alaska with only a 35mm lens
    on my camera. He climbed into a bush that hung over a (literal) CLIFF...and
    I was shooting from a distance of only 1.5-2 FEET away:
    http://upload.pbase.com/image/66768074/original

    "Zoom with my feet?" Thanks for the...um..."help."

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Sep 13, 2006
  16. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    JohnR66 wrote:
    > "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message

    >>> I think Mark has taken the term "zoom with your feet" to new
    >>> heights! I knew all those years being raised in that South American
    >>> jungle would someday pay off. Perhaps I shall change Mark's name
    >>> from "PW" to "Monkey Boy."
    >>> "Monkey Boy Morgan' .... kinda has a nice ring to it.

    >> Yep! Mark did really well getting close on this one. I would say
    >> that he's
    >> probably about 25' or less away.
    >>
    >>> Nice pics, BTW. Next time you climb a tree, crank up the ISO and
    >>> crank down on the flash. This might have been a good time to show
    >>> off the 5D's high-ISO performance. The natural lighting might have
    >>> produced some interesting effects. Did you really shimmy up that
    >>> tree with a 5D, a 70-200 f/2.8L IS, and an external flash? Man,
    >>> that's dedication! Might get you in the Canon Hall of Fame.

    >> That was my first thought after I seeing the harsh shadowing from
    >> having the
    >> flash mounted on camera. He should have taken a few ISO 800 shots
    >> without any flash as this most likely would have been amazing with
    >> natural light. Of course, he probably could have had some nice fill
    >> flash using that homemade rubbing alcohol bottle diffuser. Anyway,
    >> great shots Mark.

    > Looks like the bird was in poor lighting. Without flash, it probably
    > would have blown the background.

    Yes. They would have indeed been totally blown out. Not only would the
    background have been HORRIBLY blown, but the bird would have been
    interrupted with spots of blown-out sunlight as it peeked through the tree.
    For the challenge the scene presented, my compromise worked.

    People love to make declarations about scenes they weren't confronted
    with...
    :)
    Nothing new there...
    That said...there is ALWAYS room for improvement...and second-guessing.
    I do that to myself, so I don't mind the commentary. Some things could have
    been done differently. It's just that people often are unaware of factors
    in the scene that prevented the successful application of some of their
    suggestions.

    >I would have tried -1 on the flash
    > though.

    Actually, most of these were -1/3 to -2/3 on the flash.

    >Still great shots!

    Thanks. :)
    Sometimes the "shot" exists because you worked to get it...
    :)

    -Mark²
    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Sep 13, 2006
  17. On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:49:47 +1000, in rec.photo.digital "Joan"
    <2> wrote:

    >Use a better newsreader.

    While I agree John needs to either learn to use another control on his
    newreader to jump to the next article, or get a better one of scrolling is
    the only control in his current one, it would be courteous of you to trim
    your quoted portion of material, especially when making one line replies to
    long posts.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Sep 13, 2006
  18. Mark²

    Pete D Guest

    > That said...there is ALWAYS room for improvement...and second-guessing.
    > I do that to myself, so I don't mind the commentary. Some things could
    > have been done differently. It's just that people often are unaware of
    > factors in the scene that prevented the successful application of some of
    > their suggestions.
    >
    >>I would have tried -1 on the flash
    >> though.

    > Actually, most of these were -1/3 to -2/3 on the flash.
    >
    >>Still great shots!

    > Thanks. :)
    > Sometimes the "shot" exists because you worked to get it...

    Pity you did not try a few with the higher ISO and no flash for comparison!
    Pete D, Sep 13, 2006
  19. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Pete D wrote:
    >> That said...there is ALWAYS room for improvement...and
    >> second-guessing. I do that to myself, so I don't mind the
    >> commentary. Some things could have been done differently. It's
    >> just that people often are unaware of factors in the scene that
    >> prevented the successful application of some of their suggestions.
    >>
    >>> I would have tried -1 on the flash
    >>> though.

    >> Actually, most of these were -1/3 to -2/3 on the flash.
    >>
    >>> Still great shots!

    >> Thanks. :)
    >> Sometimes the "shot" exists because you worked to get it...

    > Pity you did not try a few with the higher ISO and no flash for
    > comparison!

    I don't need to shoot that to know that the high-bright sun-lit sand in the
    background would have been blown. There isn't any question about that. It's
    easy enough to check. -Just find a bush in complete shade, with a high-sun,
    light-colored background peeking through...and shoot to expose the shade. A
    million $$ says your bright background will be severely blown.
    :)
    No question.

    One factor in my shooting variation (or lack of) was that for all I knew...I
    only had one shot's worth of time left in this opportunity. He could have
    "flown the coop" at any moment...

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Sep 13, 2006
  20. Mark² wrote:

    >> Yep! Mark did really well getting close on this one. I would say
    >> that he's probably about 25' or less away.

    > I was 5 to 6 feet away, max.

    Got it. I had someone talking to me this morning when I read your post and
    missed that.

    >> That was my first thought after I seeing the harsh shadowing from
    >> having the flash mounted on camera. He should have taken a few ISO
    >> 800 shots without any flash as this most likely would have been
    >> amazing with natural light. Of course, he probably could have had
    >> some nice fill flash using that homemade rubbing alcohol bottle
    >> diffuser. Anyway, great shots Mark.

    > See my post to David for my rationale on that...
    > There are always better ways to do just about anything.
    > The other factor was that I realized that at ANY point in that
    > series, he could fly away with his dinner, adn that would be it. I
    > never imagined that I could keep shooting this way. I was SO close
    > that if I'd had a butterfly net, I could have caught him... :) No
    > kidding (though it would have to be one big...tough butterfly net...

    Good thinking, but my hunch is this bird is pretty much beyond domesticated
    and comfortable around people, which is bad. I'll bet he would probably
    stick around long enough for you to do a bit of experimenting. I've had
    owls like this. You never know, maybe this guy would have let you set up
    several strobes and softboxes for that perfect light. Definitely great
    shots! Plus, working up to getting the shot was probably much more
    exciting?

    > As to zooming with my feet (as you still seem to feel I've never heard
    > of...), I've been doing that as necessary for many years. Here's an
    > example of when I found myself chasing a porcupine in Alaska with
    > only a 35mm lens on my camera. He climbed into a bush that hung over
    > a (literal) CLIFF...and I was shooting from a distance of only 1.5-2
    > FEET away: http://upload.pbase.com/image/66768074/original

    No, I know you've heard of "zooming with your feet" but I just thought it
    odd that you would say it mandatory to have the super long glass for
    wildlife shots. It's amazing what people would do to get that perfect shot
    when they don't have the hardware. I'm limited to 400mm so I got to make
    the best of it.

    It sounds like you had a great time chasing the porcupine, but the picture
    really doesn't do anything to excite me. I'm not saying that in a bad way
    or to knock it. I would have preferred to not be as close to its face.

    > "Zoom with my feet?" Thanks for the...um..."help."

    LOL! Anytime.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 13, 2006