captured email address. now blacklisted

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by William Poaster, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. It was on Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:08:12 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that Graham Smith wrote:

    > I have been informed that my email address has been captured and is being
    > circulated around porn sites and misused to spam countless AOL customers who
    > have complained leading to AOL blacklisting my email address, (I found out
    > some information from an American site called 'unsubscribenow.org'). I've
    > contacted freeserve by email and post and sent copies to AOL. Does anyone
    > have any info on how to stop it. I am still hoping that freeserve Tech
    > Support can help sort things out but any information would be gratefully
    > accepted.
    > All the best.
    > Graham

    You need to contact Freeserve. This is an international newsgroup, & has
    NO connection with your ISP.

    --
    Linux User #: 305646 - SuSE Linux Pro 9.0
    "Who still needs Windows XP?"

    Graham Smith, Dec 31, 2003

  3. William Poaster

    °Mike° Guest

    Well, the *first* thing you should do is to learn how
    to munge you email address, so that if, and when,
    you get it changed, the same thing doesn't happen
    again.
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:08:12 -0000, in
    <bst78n$9oc$>
    Graham Smith scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 31, 2003
  4. William Poaster

    Brian H¹© Guest

    William Poaster said:

    > It was on Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:08:12 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    > large jam doughnut, that Graham Smith wrote:
    >
    >> I have been informed that my email address has been captured and is being
    >> circulated around porn sites and misused to spam countless AOL customers who
    >> have complained leading to AOL blacklisting my email address, (I found out
    >> some information from an American site called 'unsubscribenow.org'). I've
    >> contacted freeserve by email and post and sent copies to AOL. Does anyone
    >> have any info on how to stop it. I am still hoping that freeserve Tech
    >> Support can help sort things out but any information would be gratefully
    >> accepted.
    >> All the best.
    >> Graham

    > You need to contact Freeserve. This is an international newsgroup, & has
    > NO connection with your ISP.

    He said he has contacted freeserve, and seems to want to know if anyone in
    24hshd can offer any help.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 31, 2003
  5. William Poaster

    JiLs Guest

    how about changing your email address?

    JiLs, Dec 31, 2003
  6. William Poaster

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:08:12 -0000, Graham Smith wrote:

    >I have been informed that my email address has been captured and is being
    >circulated around porn sites and misused to spam countless AOL customers who
    >have complained leading to AOL blacklisting my email address, (I found out
    >some information from an American site called 'unsubscribenow.org').

    Then you've been had, because unsubscribenow.org *are* spammers.

    http://tinyurl.com/3cq34

    > I've
    >contacted freeserve by email and post and sent copies to AOL. Does anyone
    >have any info on how to stop it. I am still hoping that freeserve Tech
    >Support can help sort things out but any information would be gratefully
    >accepted.
    >All the best.

    I hope to hell you didn't do anything but read, at that site.

    --
    The major difference about 'targeted marketing' on the Internet is the
    targets can and will shoot back. -- Gym "Often with heavier weapons." Quirk

    Mara, Dec 31, 2003