Capture One & Federal Trade Commission

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chester Fields, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. It appears that Phase One, Capture One and Rawworkflow --MAY HAVE-- run into difficulties with the Federal Trade Commission's "30-Day Rule" which also covers Internet sales. Known as the "MAIL OR TELEPHONE ORDER MERCHANDISE RULE", the rule covers telephone orders even if the method of communication over any phone line was machine language (computer)--- hence Internet Sales are covered. Several projected dates for delivery of a product were given, but Phase One, Capture One and/or Rawworkflow may not have given the proper notifications and refund options to customers who did not receive the product within the 30 day period. There may be portions of the rule which are ambiguous, but essentially, this means that if the rule is applicable, customers may be eligible for refunds on any payments made and that Phase One, Capture One and Rawworkflow, who sold the product, could face civil and monetary sanctions. For the full text, see: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/mailorder.htm
    Chester Fields, Jan 9, 2005

  2. Chester Fields

    Nate Guest

    For all the pounding he takes (and some of it may be deserved, I don't
    know), M. Tapes cannot be a happy camper with the seemingly erratic
    operation in Denmark. If they blow the Jan 15 date, as it now looks like
    they will, he stands to lose even more business at his rawworkflow site.
    After all, it looks like he depends quite heavily on Capture One as a major
    source of his income. Every time another date passes with no release both he
    and his product lose credibility. I also read the Federal Trade Commission
    ruling and it looks like both he and his company may be in some jeopardy
    regarding the late release of products without providing customers with
    proper notice and options. But that is another can of worms separate from
    the issue that Phase One cannot seem to get this product out the door. I
    have to agree with one poster; Phase One and its representatives both here
    and abroad are going to have to display a massive outpouring of goodwill and
    support for its customers over the next several months in order to
    reestablish themselves as a viable, credible option in the field of raw
    conversion software.

    Nate, Jan 11, 2005

  3. Chester Fields

    David L. Guest

    As much as I feel for Michael Tapes and his tales of woe, remember, he has
    access to a beta version so he can process his 20D raw files. Us schmucks
    who paid months ago and who have not been granted access to the beta are
    sitting around twiddling our thumbs while each release date comes and goes
    with no software. The entire mess would be remedied if Phase One would just
    release the current beta with the necessary caveats, but I fear the reason
    that they can't is that it is SO buggy that it would the uproar would set
    them back a year. You're going to see more and more Capture One Pro licenses
    up for bid on e-bay in the coming weeks as people try to cut their losses
    and get on with life. Phase One's reputation is currently "circling the
    bowl".

    David L., Jan 12, 2005